Beginner A bit of water.

Edit My Images
Yes
tLC2rVv.jpg

This is a portrait taken earlier in the year and used for my course work.

I am looking for opinions, constructive criticism, and help to improve.

Thanks,
Robyn.

The front on flash ruins it IMO. I'm assuming there's some backlighting for the water as well, but whatever flash is exposing the face is too straight on and too high in the ratio. It makes it look like a snapshot. Plus, the shutter speed for the ambient lighting is a bit too short. If you wanted some movement, I'd have used a slightly longer shutter speed for the ambient exposure.

Thank you for taking the time to comment.

I understand what you mean with the front flash. I thought that too when the images came out onto the big screen.

As for the shutter speed, do you think I would still have been able to caputre the water at this time if the speed was made longer?

Thanks again,
Robyn.

The flash will freeze the water, but there appears to be motion blur, which can only be caused by the shutter speed and ambient light. I think it would have been more effective if the blur trails from the water drops were longer, and as the flash would still freeze it, but mixed with longer motion blur, the effect would have been more pronounced. Unless you've done the motion blur digitally of course.

Thank you, I may consider doing this shoot again in the summer. If I can find another silly billy willing to have water thrown over their head.
If I do I will post the results, as this time I will be doing the shoot in my own time and without the help of out tech.

That will be a fun outcome ;) (probably rubbish) hehe.

Thanks again,
Robyn.

Back