A compact US Roadtrip

Enjoyed the show very much. Music was ***** but you can't have everything I suppose.

;)

Only jealous! (y)

amazing slide show, i hadnt thought of this place before but it firmly on my to do list now!

i think the fact you took the pana helped you to think about your composition better and i like the fact you have a few images of a stream which doesnt feature the usual slow shutter speeds and blur!

you should be very proud of that set mate! do you think you could do better with a dslr though?

I was going to ask the same question as Ianc. I think the shots are great, and I am sitting here turning green. I would love to go.

I guess with having the compact, you kinda just got on with the shots, rather than thinkg about the best lens, tripod, filter, etc.

Danim, Thanks very much. That sounds like one pretty intense roadtrip. On that route I guess you'll be doing the North Rim at the grand canyon. I hope so anyway. Having seen it from both edges I have to sat the the North side is a much more varied experience. There are viewpoints that look much like they do on the South side but lots more too.

If you do go that way, have a look at Fire point on a map/web. It's a 20 mile + trip of unmade road but we had no problems without 4WD and it was amazing. There was nothing there that showed any sign other humans existed at all. The whole Grand Canyon all to your self.

Gary, cheers buddy.
I'm a little shocked though, I really thought that one day I was going to have everything. It is true though that that day wasn't looking like any time soon ;)

Vulcan, I'm with you on this. I think that vision and light are the be all and end all of photography (of the artistic type anyway) but alot of credit has to go that fab little camera. It's a very powerful creative tool that makes expressing yourself pretty easy alot of the time.

Thankyou Redspider. :)

Ian and Lawrie,
You've both asked a really tough question that's been bothering me for a while TBH. As you've said shooting this way can be very easy. You can run about climbing trees, lying in rivers and ditches, hanging over cliff edges and all sorts of silly stuff. If you can see an angle or reach it, you can shoot it.

With a bigger camera it's a very different ballgame isn't it. I guess if I'd have taken some Canon kit then my 5D and 24-105 would have been nearish in range but I'd have gotten nowhere near the depth of field I did with the teeny lens on the panny without being at f16 or worse and then hand held would probably be out of the window.

So, I've decided to try and find out in the best way I can think of. Do the trip again but this time with a Mamiya 6*45 and a leaf digiback. (ok in the less glam real world that reads as I'm going to see my Mum in Utah again in November).

Oddly I feel really quite pressured about taking this on with a full arsenal of top gear. I do feel that I should get far better shots if I take far better gear and as stupid as I know that is, it's still there. If I get 5 shots that I think belong in my top drawer I'll be pretty happy.

After 5 minutes waiting for the page to open I got to see your first fantastic image only. I'm afraid that Australia lags way behind the world in Internet speed but new Government has pledged to develop a faster Broadband network - but I'm not holding my breath!

From others comments I can only imagine the rest of your set to be a wonderful presentation.

People have indeed made some very kind commments but nothing more warming than your continued efforts to take a look Mark.

I'm pretty sure that if you do ever get to, it's not going match the effort. You might just have to go over there and take a look for yourself. ;)

Thank you Nero. Looking through this thread again has really made me want to grab another panny LX and spend all my money on a plane ticket. :)

Great shots...
Took some watching to take everything in (y)
My particular favourite was the pic with the metal crate and industrial chimneys in the background :D

Brilliant set of shots - love the variety, the angles, the colours, the feel, everything in fact.

Has made me look at the humble compact in a very different light now, thank you for that (y)

Back