Critique A couple of family portrait sessions

Name
Melanie
Edit My Images
Yes
Although I've been taking photos for as long as I can remember, I've always concentrated on landscapes, macro shots and other things which don't need any interaction or direction! I've been thinking recently that I would like to have a go at doing some portrait sessions, maybe with a view to booking some paid sessions in the future, if I'm good enough. So over the last couple of weeks, I've done 2 free sessions for families, to see whether a. I enjoyed it and b. I could actually do it. So far I've really enjoyed it and have had a great time on both shoots! I have had a few problems, in that my cameras aren't really up to it (Fuji X-M1 - lovely images but autofocus woeful, and a borrowed Canon 450D - fairly rubbish images but autofocus slightly better!) and I'm still getting the hang of getting people into pleasing poses, etc.

Anyway, before I do any more, or go spending money on a better camera, I'd be interested in hearing your views, and any pointers, on the following.

1st shoot

1. DSCF0276-Hazy by meljane1975, on Flickr

2. DSCF0314-BW by meljane1975, on Flickr

3. DSCF0365-Hazy by meljane1975, on Flickr

4. DSCF0388-Hazy by meljane1975, on Flickr

5. DSCF0390-BW by meljane1975, on Flickr

Melanie, let me say that I think you've done a great job starting out, and building experience this way is really good before starting paid work. Many of the shots are lovely, and I'm sure the couples were really pleased with them.

The bit of advice I'd give is to watch out for how your groups interact, and to shoot lots to be sure you get the expressions and poses you want, so you can throw away the ones that don't quite nail it. People are always moving and changing.

1. Just a bit too stiff, and the people look like they weren't sure how to look for you.
2. Lovely relaxed pose, and shot from far enough away that legs and feet still look in proportion.
3. Lots of fun, but eye contact would really strengthen it.
4. Great character, maybe pulling back a little further would have saved chopping an arm and bottom off. However the close crop makes it intimate.
5. Eye contact, smile, just like she's having fun on a beach, excellent

6. Like this pose, even though it's a set up it's warm & relaxed.
7. Fun & nice too.
8. Even more fun - a happy memory.
9. A bit formal - come and stand here - though it's OK.
10. Good character, but cropped a little too tight.
11. Similar comment to number 1 - a bit too stiff - and the mum could do with posing slightly differently (maybe head down a little more?) to reduce the strength of her chin.

This is all IMO of course - you don't have to agree. :)

Thanks Toni, just the sought of unbiased view I was looking for :) I think my biggest problem (aside from focusing issues with the X-M1 meaning I missed loads of shots) is indeed getting poses to look natural. With regards to number 4, I have actually cropped it from the original as her arm was at an awkward angle and looked odd.

Melanie, let me say that I think you've done a great job starting out, and building experience this way is really good before starting paid work. Many of the shots are lovely, and I'm sure the couples were really pleased with them.

The bit of advice I'd give is to watch out for how your groups interact, and to shoot lots to be sure you get the expressions and poses you want, so you can throw away the ones that don't quite nail it. People are always moving and changing.

1. Just a bit too stiff, and the people look like they weren't sure how to look for you.
2. Lovely relaxed pose, and shot from far enough away that legs and feet still look in proportion.
3. Lots of fun, but eye contact would really strengthen it.
4. Great character, maybe pulling back a little further would have saved chopping an arm and bottom off. However the close crop makes it intimate.
5. Eye contact, smile, just like she's having fun on a beach, excellent

6. Like this pose, even though it's a set up it's warm & relaxed.
7. Fun & nice too.
8. Even more fun - a happy memory.
9. A bit formal - come and stand here - though it's OK.
10. Good character, but cropped a little too tight.
11. Similar comment to number 1 - a bit too stiff - and the mum could do with posing slightly differently (maybe head down a little more?) to reduce the strength of her chin.

This is all IMO of course - you don't have to agree. :)

Same but with I actually like number 10, maybe it's too much facebook but I like the top down tight crops like that.

Try to get down lower when shooting kids. It brings you into their world. :)

Same but with I actually like number 10, maybe it's too much facebook but I like the top down tight crops like that.

Thanks, I like it too. I did wonder if it was cropped a bit tightly, but I haven't really done any others that tight and I thought it was a nice contrast to the more standard shots.

why not use Manual focus- make sure the eyes are PIN sharp a must in portrait photograph, also try not to place subjects bang dead centre I sent you an edited image to show what I mean

Les ;)

Good idea, I will have a practise with manual focus, although in the past I've never really got on with it on autofocus systems. I'm sure that an old manual focus lens would have been quicker and more accurate than this though!

I like your edit. I do generally try to put the subject off-centre, but seem to have reverted to putting a lot of these central for some reason. I think I was really trying to think what the families might like, over what I like photographically.

BTW, feel free to post edits of my shots, I'm on my phone and can't work out how to change my preferences!

2 & 5 stand out for me, 10 also. I like the tight crops and the general colouring you have chosen

Thanks, I was wondering what people thought of the processing, though I realise it might not be everyones cup of tea?

No, I'm not too concerned about trying to please everyone. I figure if people see my style on my website and like it, they'll book me (assuming they were looking to book) and if they don't like it they won't. My problem is if everyone hates it! :confused:

No, I'm not too concerned about trying to please everyone. I figure if people see my style on my website and like it, they'll book me (assuming they were looking to book) and if they don't like it they won't. My problem is if everyone hates it! :confused:
Be yourself and the world will love you. However if you want to be more marketable maybe a selection of processing styles on your site may help; that way you will appeal to more people.

Not sure how that link got into my other post. Never seen that coffee cup in my life!

Yes, I had wondered about whether it would be a good idea to show a few different styles which people could choose from. Or whether it was better to keep choices to a minimum, as sometimes too many choices are counter productive.

Good idea, I will have a practise with manual focus, although in the past I've never really got on with it on autofocus systems. I'm sure that an old manual focus lens would have been quicker and more accurate than this though!

I like your edit. I do generally try to put the subject off-centre, but seem to have reverted to putting a lot of these central for some reason. I think I was really trying to think what the families might like, over what I like photographically.

BTW, feel free to post edits of my shots, I'm on my phone and can't work out how to change my preferences!

Glad you liked the edit Melanie, I agree sometime the customer expect a more obvious image - like being dead centre in the frame, not from me I'm afraid - but they are your images and if you like them that's all that really matters :D

Les ;)

PS I like the PP too

Last edited by a moderator:
Out of the two I prefer the second shoot. Is this the same location?

In the first shoot the high contrast from the bright sun will make it more difficult for you. As a plan B do you have somewhere close by which is in shade (in the case of a bright day) or try waiting until sunset and maybe get some practice with fill flash.

Glad you liked the edit Melanie, I agree sometime the customer expect a more obvious image - like being dead centre in the frame, not from me I'm afraid - but they are your images and if you like them that's all that really matters :D

Les ;)

PS I like the PP too
Thanks Les, although shouldn't that be 'if the customer likes them then that's all that matters'? ;)

I'd be concerned why you can't achieve focus with the xm-1. Is it the lack of viewfinder? Holding the camera at arms length to see the screen perhaps?

Hi David, no, I get on with the screen OK, it's just that it's so slow to focus on a moving target (ie children), that it's very hit and miss whether you get shots that are in focus or not. Static shots are fine, but kids don't tend to stay still for long. :meh: :indifferent:

Out of the two I prefer the second shoot. Is this the same location?

In the first shoot the high contrast from the bright sun will make it more difficult for you. As a plan B do you have somewhere close by which is in shade (in the case of a bright day) or try waiting until sunset and maybe get some practice with fill flash.

Yes, I prefer the 2nd shoot too. It wasn't the same location, but I think the differences are mainly down to the weather/light conditions. They were both taken around the same time of day (around 7-8pm), but the first shoot was actually a very overcast day, though still fairly bright. The 2nd shoot was quite overcast too, but with the sun peeping through the clouds, and I think it's added a lot more interest to the shots.

Yes, I'm investigating SLRs now. I did have a Canon 5Dii but sold it a couple of years ago. Unfortunately I don't have the money to spend £2000+ on a camera and lens to replace it, so I'm looking at mid range cameras. I'm still undecided whether to go with Canon again or switch to Nikon. I haven't been overly impressed with the quality/reliability of Canon in the past, and I don't have any remaining kit, so I'm seriously looking at the Nikon offerings.

Thanks, I'm mostly looking at the Nikon D7100 or the Canon 70D, though leaning towards the Nikon at the moment.

Last edited:
rather than comment on the images i would just say dont dismiss the 450D. i know youve stated you have issues with canon before and are looking at Nikon but the key point to remember is ( when talking in terms of APS-C cameras that for shooting portrait shots the key is good quality glass. you dont need uber 10 fps speed shooting. you dont need a gazillion focus points. BUT you do need quality optics and with something like Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens or Canon EF 24-105mm f/4 L IS USM Lens or one of a variety of other top quality lenses then the 450 will perfom equally as well for portrait shoots as most other aps-c cameras . the same can be said for nikon though im not familiar with there higher end optics over standard kit ones.
as the exif data isnt showing you dont mention what lens you used with the 450D

The 450D just had the kit lens, so obviously quality wasn't great. However, it was borrowed, so I still need to buy another camera. I used to have the Canon 24-105 with the 5D and liked the lens a lot, so would probably be looking for something of comparable quality.

:DThanks :) Although, I've no idea whether the parents liked it as they never got back to me. Cheeky so and sos! I know it was a free shoot and everything, but you'd have thought that most people would have the decency to email and say thanks. :mad: It's one of the reasons why I posted them on here as I wanted some feedback as to whether there was anything wrong with them.

Anyway, I suppose I got what I wanted out of it (photos for my portfolio) and the next couple were so grateful they more than made up for it. :D

why not use Manual focus- make sure the eyes are PIN sharp a must in portrait photograph, also try not to place subjects bang dead centre I sent you an edited image to show what I mean

Les ;)

on moving subjects, with a modern DSLR (which generally aren't set up for MF) then have a reliable AF system is of far more use then MF.

Thanks Les, although shouldn't that be 'if the customer likes them then that's all that matters'? ;)

Nooooooo...............I always think if thats your fallback position you've dodged a bullet. Maybe 'if the customer likes them and you believe you've delivered the best product you can.........'

anyway thats OT

Yes, I agree. I don't want to be a photographer who is content to deliver less than their best work, just because I know the customer will be satisfied. But I guess I'm still at the stage, with portraits anyway, where I'm finding it difficult to judge my own work, hence this thread. I know it will become easier with time, but at the moment I'm still unsure.

on moving subjects, with a modern DSLR (which generally aren't set up for MF) then have a reliable AF system is of far more use then MF.

Do you get many Portrait sessions where the subject is moving?? my suggestion to focus manually was based on the above set of images

Les :D

Do you get many Portrait sessions where the subject is moving?? my suggestion to focus manually was based on the above set of images

Les :D

They moved alot! To be honest, the above images are mostly posed groups, purely because the 'action shots' (anything other than standing/sitting still) were mostly unusable, especially from the Fuji (I didn't have the Canon for the 1st shoot).

Back