A dark question...

Name
Pip
Edit My Images
Yes
Earlier this evening I went to the yard where my wife teaches as they were having a fun night with lots of different little races on the ponies, took along my 400d and for the very 1st time I used my monopod.

IMG_1704.jpg

Trouble is it was all very dark. I had intended to use my 55-250 but I stuck with the 50mm f1.8, and tbh I had it jammed on f1.8 all night and ISO1600 too. Being as it's a 400d this has led to a lot of cr@ppy shots, lots of noise and artefacts (shot in raw, but no expert at conversion). For the jump off they set the jump up under a lamp to help out - but the lights weren't strong enough to get a decent shutter speed.

To cut a long story a tiny bit shorter, is there anything else I could have done to get some better quality shots? I've already told my wife that we 'need' a 50mm f1.4 but that will be a while off I fear. What else could I have done to get decent shutter shot?

Thanking you kindly,
Phil.

What else could I have done to get decent shutter shot?

The answer here is: not much, if anything. When the light is so low as to be almost non-existent, you're stuck.

You could try doing some noise-reduction on the shots that you did get.

You could try doing some noise-reduction on the shots that you did get.

Thanks for that Mr.P, I thought that might be the case. I haven't read up yet on how to go about noise reduction in CS2 (for that is what I have) and even when I do I doubt it'll be able to cure what I have in tonights shots. I think maybe I need to make the goal of my £2 collection a speedlight...?

Looking at the direction the shadows are falling from the floodlights you would have been far, far better shooting with the lights at your back and shooting directly at where the light is falling if that makes sense.

You look to be shooting almost right angles to the light source and therefore your lens would probably be aiming into shadows/part shadows.

Next time stand under the lights, somewhere to the left in this photo.

Is this any better?

3066493519_e5a68478c4_o.jpg

Yes, it is a lot better thank you!

Looking at the direction the shadows are falling from the floodlights you would have been far, far better shooting with the lights at your back and shooting directly at where the light is falling if that makes sense.

You look to be shooting almost right angles to the light source and therefore your lens would probably be aiming into shadows/part shadows.

Next time stand under the lights, somewhere to the left in this photo.

I did move around there later on. I couldn't get right under the lights, though you are right and it was a much better spot.
IMG_1744.jpg

I need to start looking for a 2nd hand flash.

You may find that using flash at these type of events will be frowned upon.

With this sort of photography you may find that high ISO is the only way, might be worth investing in something like Noise Ninja or Neat Image. Also, with f1.4 you may struggle to keep focus on moving objects as the depth of field will be so shallow.

You may find that using flash at these type of events will be frowned upon.
Should be ok at that yard - there were lots of mini-flashes from point and shoots and the lady who runs it was encouraging me all night (she is also a togger) as she knew it was my 1st time shooting horses and she's been telling me to have a go for weeks. But thanks for the advice Fabs, I'm sure that'll be true at most events and I need to remember to ask. And then hopefully I'll be able to get some horsey-giddyup photos as good as some of yours...

Dont forget that a flash from a p&s is nowhere near as strong as a canon/sigma or whichever one you use, if you are close enough for it to have an effect and it goes off in the ponys face when its jumping the pony will sometimes try to stop in mid air or turn away from it, which could end up with pony and rider on the floor, you may get away with it if they are doing races but its best not to use it if you can help it.

Could she not start earlier in the day so you have the light to catch the fun more easily and will be able to do some good pictures for them?

That's a good point Susie and one I had thought of a bit. Not having bought my speedlight yet I wasn't sure how much stronger it would be and the last thing I want is to affect the ponies. I'll have a play when I get it and probably shock myself!

As for starting earlier, it was only a fun night really and I wasn't there in any official capacity, only went along to try shooting something different in different conditions (and to see if my camera and my ability would be up to it). I guess if I were to do this properly I would need to have fixed task lighting sited to help out especially by the jumps and probably hire some faster glass from Stewart.

I think I may go back during daylight and have another play though, I have to say I enjoyed the challenge of trying to capture horses in full flow (if that's not a metaphor gone wrong!).

Pippy, I'm not sure where in Berkshire you are, nut if you want to photograph horses in full flow, get yourself down to the Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club over near Windsor. They play through the winter in an outdoor arena. You won't catch them in fuller flow than that! ;)

Pippy, I'm not sure where in Berkshire you are, nut if you want to photograph horses in full flow, get yourself down to the Royal County of Berkshire Polo Club over near Windsor. They play through the winter in an outdoor arena. You won't catch them in fuller flow than that! ;)
Binfield, which is not far from there at all fabs, thanks for the tip. Can you just turn up and take photos or do you need to contact them first?

As far as I'm aware, you should be able to just turn up and take photos, you certainly wouldn't be the only one with a camera. You may want to check for entry fees, some charge, some don't but even if they do it's generally quite cheap.

Back