A day at the zoo

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm planning a trip to Chester Zoo this week, if I was to take only one of my lenses, which would you suggest as the best for the day?

1) 17-85 usm
2) 55-250 is
or
3) nifty 50

(y)

55-250, wider range for variety of possibilities.

No way the nifty fifty. Sometimes the enclosures are quite big, and if the animals decide to sit at the furthest area, then you're stuffed.

I also think there's no real point in taking wider angle shots at a zoo, since you're there to see animals, so that means the 17-85mm is out of the equation too.

Apologies for my previous post, PUI might be the problem.

The longest lens you've got is the best for zoos, but no reason not to take the others as there might be opporchancities to use them. I always use a 70-300 but my 15-85 also comes in handy.

Last edited:
Why not take them all and stop asking silly questions?

Why not just say "Why not take them all?" :wacky:

Thank you to those who have provided sensible replies :) in answer to the above rudeness......simply because I will have 5 young children in tow so I will have to limit my luggage to the max.

Apologies for my previous post, PUI might be the problem.

The longest lens you've got is the best for zoos, but no reason not to take the others as there might be opporchancities to use them. I always use a 70-300 but my 15-85 also comes in handy.

thank you :)

For the zoo you really want moderately long glass so a 55-200 ought to be ideal (if you had something like a 70-300 I'd say take that instead)

that said if you can manage to put the nifty in your pocket it would be ideal for candid shots of the 5 young children enjoying the zoo - which in someways is probably going to be as important

Also the nifty and high ISO might allow you to take shots in the bat house - which is a must see for a chester visit IMO - where flash isnt allowed.

As said above, some of the enclosures at Chester are really big and the animals can be well away from the viewing area.

I'd suggest the 55-200 to be your best bet.

Definitely the 55-250, last time I went to Chester Zoo I can't remember shooting anything at less than 55mm. Everything will be at the long end of your lens so you'll regret not taking the longest lens you have.

big soft moose said:
For the zoo you really want moderately long glass so a 55-200 ought to be ideal (if you had something like a 70-300 I'd say take that instead)

that said if you can manage to put the nifty in your pocket it would be ideal for candid shots of the 5 young children enjoying the zoo - which in someways is probably going to be as important

Also the nifty and high ISO might allow you to take shots in the bat house - which is a must see for a chester visit IMO - where flash isnt allowed.

+1

Definitely the longest lens you have. But the nifty fifty is good for non-animal shots if you can squeeze it in somewhere.

Enjoy your day.

Definately the 55-250. The other lenses wont be much use for the enclosures, and I got some corkers at Marwell with the 55-250 over the years.

The nifty may as well tag along as it doesnt weigh anything, for maybe some candids of the kids?

The 50mm might be worth taking if they have a reptile house or something like that as they are usually not very well lit and you can get close to the glass.

Had it all pretty much covered with 70-200 Siggy. :)

As for the Bat House ( :LOL: ) just take a search light !

And good luck (y)

OW.

Back