A few beetles of Malaysia.

Name
kurt
Edit My Images
No
Beautiful scarab beetle (Polyphylla tonkinensis - ID credit: CH Lee, Gil Wizen) with nice pattern on its back. Pahang, Malaysia.
Polyphylla tonkinensis_MG_5853 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Female stag beetle, Dorcus reichei prosti - ID credit: Chia How.
Dorcus reichei prosti_MG_5524 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Long horn beetle, Acalolepta sp. maybe A. rusticatrix - ID credit: Francesco Vitali. Chewing up a hole to lay eggs?
Acalolepta rusticatrix_MG_5120 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Beautiful longhorn beetle (Aegosoma giganteum). Pahang, Malaysia.
Aegosoma giganteum IMG_5658 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Beautiful longhorn beetle (Aegosoma giganteum). Pahang, Malaysia.
Aegosoma giganteum _MG_5859 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Firefly larva. Pyrocoelia sp. ID credit: 王章名. Montane forest of Pahang, Malaysia. Note the fish tails!
Pyrocoelia sp._MG_5820 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Unidentified leaf beetle.
Leaf beetle_MG_6089 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

Mitey longhorn beetle - Epepeotes luscus(?) chewing up a hole on a leaf.
Epepeotes luscus_MG_4032 copy by Kurt (orionmystery.blogspot.com), on Flickr

More beetles of Malaysia: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2010/06/some-amazing-malaysian-beetles.html

Amazing Kurt the firefly larva is incredible it's tail is flattened too I wonder why?

Thanks, Pete. I suspect that it has something to do with preying on snails.

Not the same species: http://orionmystery.blogspot.com/2014/10/lampyrid-firefly-preying-on-giant.html

I see thanks for the link fascinating
clear.png

"Excellent" set once again Kurt, my favorites would be the Scarab Beetle, and the super close Longhorn. The solitude and composition of the Leaf Beetle also help to make this shot a bit special.(y)

"Only two more months before I get to visit your country which I'm really looking forward to".:):)

George.

Great set of shots as usual Kurt amazing to look at at.

Awesome set Kurt the leaf beetle is my fav looking.

Thanks, Bryn.

"Excellent" set once again Kurt, my favorites would be the Scarab Beetle, and the super close Longhorn. The solitude and composition of the Leaf Beetle also help to make this shot a bit special.(y)

"Only two more months before I get to visit your country which I'm really looking forward to".:):)

George.

Thanks, George. Cool, you'll find lots of bugs to photograph. Enjoy!

Great set of shots as usual Kurt amazing to look at at.

Thanks, Alf.

Thanks, George. Cool, you'll find lots of bugs to photograph. Enjoy!

Thanks Kurt, It will be my first visit to those parts and to say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement.:)

I managed to wangle an all expenses paid working trip to the "Grand Prix" but hopefully I'll get a bit of spare time to shoot some things for myself if my schedule is not too tight.

George.

Thanks Kurt, It will be my first visit to those parts and to say I'm looking forward to it is an understatement.:)

I managed to wangle an all expenses paid working trip to the "Grand Prix" but hopefully I'll get a bit of spare time to shoot some things for myself if my schedule is not too tight.

George.

All expenses paid working trip! That's awesome! If you're in KL and feel like doing some night macro, let me know :)

Great stuff Kurt. I particularly love the light and detail on the Beautiful scarab beetle. As for that firefly larvae, how unusual and fascinating.(y)

Thanks, Chris. Yep, weird looking firefly beetle. I have seem similar one but without the fish tails.

All expenses paid working trip! That's awesome! If you're in KL and feel like doing some night macro, let me know :)

Thanks for that Kurt, that's appreciated.(y)

As of yet I have no idea of just how tight my itinery will be. I'll certainly be taking a few macro bits with me though and of course I'd love to meet up if I get the time. I'd almost certainly learn more from you about macro/close up photography in a couple of hours than I have in the eight or so months that I have been trundling along under my own steam. I also want to photograph some of the local KL area as that's where I'll be staying.

George.

Fab! I really like that scarab.

@G.K.Jnr. I'm really jealous. Macro and Grand Prix! Sounds like a perfect holiday :)

Yes I'm really looking forward to it Timmy, It is actually a working trip but hey! I can put up with that.:)

I've done quite a few Grand Prix jobs before but never one to Malaysia. I'm going to do my best to try and meet up with Kurt while I'm in those parts. If I can then I'm sure I will learn a whole lot from him.

George.

Back