A few from Lochwinnoch

Name
Stephen
Edit My Images
Yes
Taken with my Nikon D7000 and Tamron 70-300 lens with no VR and Lochwinnoch RSPB centre.

Any advice on making them better in the future fully appreciated.

DSC_1387.JPG

DSC_1473.JPG

DSC_1454.JPG

Hi,

I've been critiqued on this, don't trim off bits of the birds (#3). :)

#2 is really good though, like the detail. I messed up on mine so congrats on that!

#1 is really good too - like the crispness and the blur/bokeh in the background. Only niggle would be the twig/tip of the tail... but that is a really minor detail!

Congrats on the shots!

I agree #2 is certainly the strongest shot, #3 would have been a bin job for me as the head is cut off, #1 is as said a shame about the tail but a good shot.

I agree #2 is certainly the strongest shot, #3 would have been a bin job for me as the head is cut off, #1 is as said a shame about the tail but a good shot.

Thanks guys. I knew 3 would get slated for the head but it wasnt cropped it was how it came off the memory card. Bad photographer :crying:

I posted it because despite missing its head, I still like it.

No1 photoshop out the log behind the bird and crop it heavily to remove the twigs either side, better still try to position yourself so there is nothing to distract from the bird. Bluetits are really obliging so wait until the right pose before pressing the shutter.
I use crunchy peanut butter smeared on the rear of a twig to keep them interested a little longer. They just clear off if you use peanuts or seed as soon as they pick one up.

No 2 very nice.

No 3 one for the bin i'm afraid. Though i do like the water detail dripping from the beak.

Last edited:
No1 photoshop out the log behind the bird and crop it heavily to remove the twigs either side, better still try to position yourself so there is nothing to distract from the bird. Bluetits are really obliging so wait until the right pose before pressing the shutter.
I use crunchy peanut butter smeared on the rear of a twig to keep them interested a little longer. They just clear off if you use peanuts or seed as soon as they pick one up.

No 2 very nice.

No 3 one for the bin i'm afraid. Though i do like the water detail dripping from the beak.

Thanks for the comments and honesty:)

I was in a hide looking through a hole similar to a letterbox, so positioning was not really an option. However I take on board the cropping and cloning advice.

Will go out with some peanut butter and give it whirl. Thank you

Thanks for the comments and honesty:)

I was in a hide looking through a hole similar to a letterbox, so positioning was not really an option. However I take on board the cropping and cloning advice.

Will go out with some peanut butter and give it whirl. Thank you

Papasken, as for positioning there are several options at lochwinnoch. Have a look at my flickr as i have several from the same place in the past few months.It looks like for the bluetit you were in one of the first 2 windows, a slight movement even a few inches would have had the bluetit with a clean background. Its just a matterof keeping at it.

Also dont put your own feed out as Zul the manager is starting to get annoyed with people going out and shifting feeders around and scaring birds.

Last edited:
markyboy.1967

You are streets ahead of me in terms of photography and I am sure I will learn from you and others on the forum. Many thanks for the tips.

I had no intention of putting my own feeders at any RSPB site, I was referring to local woodlands etc.

Great images of the Birds of prey:)

markyboy.1967

You are streets ahead of me in terms of photography and I am sure I will learn from you and others on the forum. Many thanks for the tips.

I had no intention of putting my own feeders at any RSPB site, I was referring to local woodlands etc.

Great images of the Birds of prey:)

Only saying as i was in the hide and Zul spoke to a few people for moving feeders etc--loads still do it though.You will get better images but its a matter of spending the time in the hide and watching where certain birds like to land before going on feeders then focus on that spot before checking the background is clean of clutter and then recompose if needed. May meet up with you at some point in the hide.Good luck.

Only saying as i was in the hide and Zul spoke to a few people for moving feeders etc--loads still do it though.You will get better images but its a matter of spending the time in the hide and watching where certain birds like to land before going on feeders then focus on that spot before checking the background is clean of clutter and then recompose if needed. May meet up with you at some point in the hide.Good luck.

I would like that mate. A few hours with someone who has experience of photography would be invaluable to novices like myself.

Can you recommend other places of interest around the west of scotland?

It depends if your interest is in wildlife/birds or in photography. Several sights are great for bird watching but very hard on photography and then you have great photography places like lochwinnoch at certain times but arent so diverse with different species.

I will try my hand at anything. I do football on saturdays and anything else on a sunday. I love candid images, street photography and keen to get into macro. So I am up for anything.

Only thing I dont have is a good looking friend who will pose for glamour pics:shake:

We should wear TP badges or something when we're down there so we know to say hello.:) I found the fence with the letter box openings good for getting close but only one perch that had a relatively uncluttered background, but it is a busy spot for the little critters.

We should wear TP badges or something when we're down there so we know to say hello.:) I found the fence with the letter box openings good for getting close but only one perch that had a relatively uncluttered background, but it is a busy spot for the little critters.

I haven't tried anywhere else but the hide. Is it worth walking further?

The fence was before the hides on the left of the pathway. It not far from the main entrance. maybe 100 yards or so.

Went back yesterday and took my time looking at the background plus used a monopod this time

They are on a new thread "Lochwinnoch Third Trip" uploaded yesterday

Sent from my iPad using TP Forums

Back