A few from London Zoo

JDP

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi Guys, not posted on here for a while....

Anyways, I visited a few friends in London over the weekend and had the opportunity to not only visit the zoo but also get up close and personal with some aardvarks and meerkats, no pictures of them unfortunately due to time.

Here are my favorite of the day. These were all hand held with an 70-200mm L USM lens (no IS) - I was actually supprised, this was the first time I actually had a proper play with the 70-200 and it was amazing. Turned my 7 year old 500D into a brand new camera. With the tamron lens I used to have didn't give it credit, but now with the supreme optics of the L series my pictures are so much better quality, and I am actually proud of these pictures. Which is actually very very rare. These make me look like a relatively OK photographer. haha.

Lilac-breasted Roller

Lillac-Brested Roller
by JDNaturePhotography, on Flickr

Blue-Bellied Roller

Blue-Bellied Roller

Golden-headed Lion Tamarin - Apologies for the noise, my 500D doesn't handle noise well at all (anything over 400ISO is terrible), I was inside and had to shoot at 6400ISO which meant that the noise on this was extreem hopefully I have reduced it enough not to damage the picture. But I like this one anyway.

Golden-headed lion tamarin

Meerkats

Meerkat II

Meerkat

Last edited:
I had a spot of difficulty with this as I wasn't really able to get a decent angle but made the best of the situation. Actually forgot to turn the ISO down from 6400 in bright sunlight, but thanks to the power of lightroom I was able to recover the picture - Just!

Contemplating Gorilla II

Gorilla

Last edited:
Them thar 70-200's are certainly a nice piece of kit aren't they?
The top two are my pick of the bunch,
Maybe try a little levels tweak on the (last) Silver-back?
I think there is more of an image still to be had from it :)
Nice set (y)

Amazing! first one for me, love the sharpness and colour and texture of the feathers

Back