A few from the Cumbria Meet

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

now I've finally stopped itching long enough ( apparently I'm 5 star dining for the midges :LOL: ) to edit a few shots , thought I'd upload a couple of my faves for crit & general ripping apart

1#
my favourite place & a far better attempt than my last effort.....from my favoured angle .the sky is a bit noisey as forgot to run it through neat image :bonk: Not sure if the reeds act as a barrier ?

The Boat House by llj666, on Flickr

have got one from a slightly different angle as well but not edited it yet

playing around with filters & lower POV's & trying to find lead in lines .struggled to get it dead level even though the virtual horizon in the camera said it was spot & have just noticed a dust bunny :bang:

DSC_1475 by llj666, on Flickr

Quite pleased with this as virtually sooc..

DSC_1539 by llj666, on Flickr

thanks for looking & any advice welcome as will be returning there for sure

ttfn :wave:

Last edited:
I love all 3 and would be happy to have taken any of them.

Loving #1, seen so many shots of the boathouse and to be honest there is only a small number that give an instant wow and this one does that for me. Good strong compostion, great clarity and tones (y)

Im heading down Friday for a long weekend so hope to achieve some good results of the most shot boathouse in the UK.

We are stopping near Greystoke so only 10 mins to the boathouse and im guessing we will pass it everytime we head somewhere so might just grab a shot each time hopefully give me a good range of light conditions. How easy is it to park there, is it the space i seen on google maps in the corner or are there other parking spots there?

How bad are the midges at this time of year? Surely cant be as bad as Highlands and West coast of Scotland :thinking:

#2 im not sure about composition, horizon too close to centre maybe?

#3 i feel it need a tiny bit more contrast but im looking on work monitor so cant be too sure, other than that i like it

mike

I love all 3 and would be happy to have taken any of them.

Thanks for popping , glad you like them :)

Loving #1, seen so many shots of the boathouse and to be honest there is only a small number that give an instant wow and this one does that for me. Good strong compostion, great clarity and tones (y)

Im heading down Friday for a long weekend so hope to achieve some good results of the most shot boathouse in the UK.

We are stopping near Greystoke so only 10 mins to the boathouse and im guessing we will pass it everytime we head somewhere so might just grab a shot each time hopefully give me a good range of light conditions. How easy is it to park there, is it the space i seen on google maps in the corner or are there other parking spots there?

How bad are the midges at this time of year? Surely cant be as bad as Highlands and West coast of Scotland :thinking:

#2 im not sure about composition, horizon too close to centre maybe?

#3 i feel it need a tiny bit more contrast but im looking on work monitor so cant be too sure, other than that i like it

mike

Cheers Mike.....got another angle on the boathouse but keep coning back to this one .
The parking is where you have mentioned , on the corner opposite the entrance to the boathouse .As for the midges :eek:...not been to Scotland in midge season but hell they were bad...38 bites on my face alone !

Enjoy your trip there & look forward to seeing some shots (y)

All great images and I don't think the reeds in No1 act as a barrier but add to the whole scene

To be honest Im not all that keen on the first shot, there was one (of many) on here recently which imo was better but on saying that he\she did have more favourable conditions. The second though is imo a much better shot, the foreground is perhaps a little too busy but the boats are well positioned with great reflections a fantastic sky and decent background.

This is of course entirely my opinion and I am sure plenty will disagree with me :)

Steve

About time I found some more shots from the meet, they are like finding rocking horse **** :D

Good old Boathouse, from that angle I think the Boathouse and the large stone are just a touch too close the the edge and it would benefit from been shot a little wider.

I like the line of boats but think they should be a bit more prominent, maybe a crop to reduce some of the sky and a little off the edges could help.

I would have much preferred one of your Millennium Stone shots than this one as they are much much stronger.

Had a look on your flickr, cracking macros as always :clap:

(y)

I like No.1 and feel that the reeds lead the eye to the boat house so complement the picture rather than detract.

Some great shots.

As for midges - well what do you expect, it's the female of the species that do the biting, but us men already knew that. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ken

All great images and I don't think the reeds in No1 act as a barrier but add to the whole scene

Thanks for popping in....glad you think the reeds work for rather than against (y)

Excellent set. I especially like number 1. Would loved to have taken them.

Cheers for commenting ,glad you like them (y)

3 very nice shots with good composition. I've been wanting to take the boat house shot too, just never got my timing right.

Thanks ,it's definitely a place to re-visit several times (y)

To be honest Im not all that keen on the first shot, there was one (of many) on here recently which imo was better but on saying that he\she did have more favourable conditions. The second though is imo a much better shot, the foreground is perhaps a little too busy but the boats are well positioned with great reflections a fantastic sky and decent background.

This is of course entirely my opinion and I am sure plenty will disagree with me :)

Steve

Cheers Steve ,the boat house shot ( whoever takes it ) always seems to be hit & miss so I expected a mixed response....still , good reason to keep going back & trying again :D

Glad you like the 2nd one , think that will end up printed & hung (y)

About time I found some more shots from the meet, they are like finding rocking horse **** :D

Good old Boathouse, from that angle I think the Boathouse and the large stone are just a touch too close the the edge and it would benefit from been shot a little wider.

I like the line of boats but think they should be a bit more prominent, maybe a crop to reduce some of the sky and a little off the edges could help.

I would have much preferred one of your Millennium Stone shots than this one as they are much much stronger.

Had a look on your flickr, cracking macros as always :clap:

(y)

Thanks for popping in Scott , always manage to crop images just a little wrong but still got the RAW so will try again & give a little more room ...cheers for the tip , always worth a fresh pair of eye's taking a look (y)

The 2nd image has turned out almost exactly as I wanted , the sky really was a corker & that was the main attraction , might clone out the most lefthand rock though...:thinking:
Yeah , quite pleased with the macro shots as mainly hand held :)

I like No.1 and feel that the reeds lead the eye to the boat house so complement the picture rather than detract.

Some great shots.

As for midges - well what do you expect, it's the female of the species that do the biting, but us men already knew that. :LOL::LOL::LOL:

Ken

Many thanks Ken ,a 2nd thumbs up for the reeds is great (y)

As for females biting......:naughty:

These are ssooooo good, #2 being my personal favourite but all are cracking. :clap:

For somebody who keeps on saying " I'm rubbish at landscape" you are doing very, very well.

# 2 is the one for me...(y)

PS... Love the Macro shots on Flickr :clap:

Nice set Lynne (y) - as for a few comments...

As I said at the time I don't really think the Boathouse shot works very well from this angle, it foreshortens the jetty too much and makes it more of a shot of some trees that has a building in them. I like the idea of the main rock as a 'balance' to the building, but from this angle the gap between them is too great for me, and both are too close to the edge of the frame (you've clipped the rock's reflection too). This gap has created a look of two images, one being the reflection and building that just happens to have a rock it it, while the other is a great rock image with some building tagged on - the gap is not allowing for the easy connection to be made. The rock top left is also balanced by the one bottom right, so that's either well seen placing or just good luck - I'm going with the former :) And I don't feel the reeds are a barrier at all, in fact they help here as they do offer a link between rock & building as your eye can skip along them left to right. Had you moved further left you'd have compressed the gap twixt rock and building which I think would have helped, but for me its still the 'wrong' place to shoot the Boathouse from

In 2 - we have the same too close to the edge issue, and the sky processing is overdone - especially as its not reflected in the water like that so it looks a little 'dropped in'. But the inclusion of strong foreground interest is what helps make the shot here. Without the sky there's a good tranquil feel to this shot, but that sky confuses the image somewhat and there's just too much of it for me

In 3 - again great use of foreground interest, in fact this one is so strong it makes the stump look more like the subject than an overall landscape shot. As such, it needs more separation from the background; this could have been done by shooting wide-open and throwing the background OoF to some extent, but shooting a little wider and not having the top of the stump disappear into the reflection would have helped

The 2nd Boathouse is a much stronger image making the Boathouse the obvious subject matter, its a little too central though and there were much better rocks for your foreground - you just needed to push-in a bit more :D

As others have said though, for someone professing not to know what Landscape Photography is all about this is a good set of images; its not that you don't have an eye for it at all, just that it needs a little tweaking, but you do need to leave a little more space around your images too

Step out from behind that macro a bit more please :)

Dave

#1 for me Lynne. The rock in the foreground holds the eye in the image nicely.

Cheers Peter ,thanks for popping in :)

At last, shots from the famous Cumbria meet!

Love them all Lynne, especially 1 and 2.

Is this it though, you must have more.

Hi ya Neil...yeah got others on flickr & still some to edit , glad you like them....what with all the greenery.....:naughty:

These are ssooooo good, #2 being my personal favourite but all are cracking. :clap:

Thanks for commenting...appreciate it (y)

great set of shots
Thanks Dexter :)

For somebody who keeps on saying " I'm rubbish at landscape" you are doing very, very well.

# 2 is the one for me...(y)

PS... Love the Macro shots on Flickr :clap:

Cheers Robbi....I'm getting there , I think.....now where's yours :D

As I said at the time I don't really think the Boathouse shot works very well from this angle, it foreshortens the jetty too much and makes it more of a shot of some trees that has a building in them. I like the idea of the main rock as a 'balance' to the building, but from this angle the gap between them is too great for me, and both are too close to the edge of the frame (you've clipped the rock's reflection too). This gap has created a look of two images, one being the reflection and building that just happens to have a rock it it, while the other is a great rock image with some building tagged on - the gap is not allowing for the easy connection to be made. The rock top left is also balanced by the one bottom right, so that's either well seen placing or just good luck - I'm going with the former :) And I don't feel the reeds are a barrier at all, in fact they help here as they do offer a link between rock & building as your eye can skip along them left to right. Had you moved further left you'd have compressed the gap twixt rock and building which I think would have helped, but for me its still the 'wrong' place to shoot the Boathouse from

Dave

Thanks for popping in Dave , appreciate you taking the time (y)
I've split your comments in to separate posts as too much to go at in one hit :eek:

The Boathouse.... this one shot seems to create a divide between viewers.....I favour the wider shot as it shows more of the surroundings & to me, involves more Landscape , the house itself is meant to be just part of the view , not the whole view . I have taken on board & agree with your comments re clipping the reflection & cropping too tightly so here's a quick revised image :

The boathouse take 2 jpeg by llj666, on Flickr

does that sit any better ?

I did say I'd go back & take it from the position you mentioned...just for you , here's slightly different version with more rocks (y)

Boathouse alternative view jpeg by llj666, on Flickr

Boathouse from

In 2 - we have the same too close to the edge issue, and the sky processing is overdone - especially as its not reflected in the water like that so it looks a little 'dropped in'. But the inclusion of strong foreground interest is what helps make the shot here. Without the sky there's a good tranquil feel to this shot, but that sky confuses the image somewhat and there's just too much of it for me

Dave

The 2nd image is my favourite & had had very little processing to the sky , I just had 2 grad filters & a Cpl on....here's the original just converted to jpeg (flickr doesn't like RAW apparently !) so you can compare the 2 :

orginal :

DSC_1475 original by llj666, on Flickr

Can't belive the camera's in-built virtual horizon was telling me it was straight !!

Again , I agree with the edge closeness so have had another play & cloned a couple of rocks out.....any better :

DSC_1475 take 2 jpeg by llj666, on Flickr

Boathouse from

In 3 - again great use of foreground interest, in fact this one is so strong it makes the stump look more like the subject than an overall landscape shot. As such, it needs more separation from the background; this could have been done by shooting wide-open and throwing the background OoF to some extent, but shooting a little wider and not having the top of the stump disappear into the reflection would have helped

As others have said though, for someone professing not to know what Landscape Photography is all about this is a good set of images; its not that you don't have an eye for it at all, just that it needs a little tweaking, but you do need to leave a little more space around your images too

Dave

Yup , you hit the nail on the head when you said...the stump was the main point of interest......I didn't want the background oof so had to live with the very top of the stump blending in slightly , more than anything I was just playing with POV & going away from the more normal angles I tend to go for & liked the result .
I am learning that photography is very much a subjective thing & it's a darn good thing that we don't all like the same things....how boring would that be :LOL:

& you're right....I do crop closely , after 2.5 years of doing the 52 & being told most weeks that the crop is marginally wrong you'd think I'd have learnt by now.....:bonk: hey ho....I wish I could step away from the macro......is not my fault...I just like close-ups....but I will try harder in future (y)

Thanks again for commenting & making me look at things slightly differently & re-editing a couple to better effect I think....always learning (y)

Ooh really like No 2. They sky is awesome and is offset perfectly by the relatively bright water.

Hi, Lynne, seems a long time ago, doesn't it :D

#1, most of the photographs I've seen of the boathouse are from further to the right, showing more a profile of the jetty. You've produced one that I like. It almost looks like a giant spotlight has been shone on the boathouse. Lovely greens. The boulder is a tad close to the LH side and, therefore, creates a bit of tension.

#2 works for me. Especially the blue hue on the sky. Cracking detail throughout and nice reflections. The water looks a tad bright :thinking:

#3, I spent quite a bit of time photographing this log. Noticed a bit of a break in the sky with clouds and blue...was about to photograph it when Iain decided to go for a swim ;) I didn't post any, mainly because I didn't get enough separation between the top of the stump and the reflection of the trees. You've managed to get some nice detail and even some in the sky.

#4, quite like the processing. But the branch covering the boathouse distract me.

Good show and every day that passes is another day closer to the end of project meet (y)

Cheers.

Hi Lynne,

I keep coming back to your boat house shot and think a crop would work better.
I've done a cheeky screen print and cropped as follows (happy to remove if you want)

Lynne Boat House by Kinvara Photography, on Flickr

I'd rather the vegetation in the water was more on the left for some balance and to not obscure the reflection of the boathouse, the sky needs a little more detail too, but overall I like the composition.

Neil

Nice set Lynne. I favourite being #1. When I saw it I immediately thought of cropping it the bottom off and found Neil had already suggested it once I got down to the bottom of the thread.

Hi, Lynne, seems a long time ago, doesn't it :D

#1, most of the photographs I've seen of the boathouse are from further to the right, showing more a profile of the jetty. You've produced one that I like. It almost looks like a giant spotlight has been shone on the boathouse. Lovely greens. The boulder is a tad close to the LH side and, therefore, creates a bit of tension.

#2 works for me. Especially the blue hue on the sky. Cracking detail throughout and nice reflections. The water looks a tad bright :thinking:

#3, I spent quite a bit of time photographing this log. Noticed a bit of a break in the sky with clouds and blue...was about to photograph it when Iain decided to go for a swim ;) I didn't post any, mainly because I didn't get enough separation between the top of the stump and the reflection of the trees. You've managed to get some nice detail and even some in the sky.

#4, quite like the processing. But the branch covering the boathouse distract me.

Good show and every day that passes is another day closer to the end of project meet (y)

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback Andy.....always good to see your shots through someone else's eyes (y)

Hi Lynne,

I keep coming back to your boat house shot and think a crop would work better.
I've done a cheeky screen print and cropped as follows (happy to remove if you want)

Lynne Boat House by Kinvara Photography, on Flickr

I'd rather the vegetation in the water was more on the left for some balance and to not obscure the reflection of the boathouse, the sky needs a little more detail too, but overall I like the composition.

Neil

Hi Neil...you missed a good meet matey..... liking the crop....torn between which version to get printed now :thinking: Hope you're settling in well & managing to find something to shoot (y)

Nice set Lynne. I favourite being #1. When I saw it I immediately thought of cropping it the bottom off and found Neil had already suggested it once I got down to the bottom of the thread.

Thanks for popping in Peter.....more I look at it more I thing the cropped version will be the one to print (y)

Back