A few of my football Photographs..

2. Equipment. Already had a few comments regarding this but at the settings your displaying your images should sharpen up better than those posted unless of course you have already sharpened them in which case your lens/camera combo must be terrible. Look also to use noise reduction sofware to tidy the images up. Noise Ninja or similar but dont bother with the standard filter plugin that comes with PS as its next to useless.

Just had a look through some of the photographs again, and looking through i can see some sharp enough pictures, and then again i can see some quite unsharp pictures. Not sure whether its the 70-300 or me. Hopefully i am picking up a sigma 70-200 2.8 this week, heard some good things about this lens.... if i can get a good copy

CaptainPenguin: I think that i am with you on the standard cropping, but thats just our opinion. Also had a look through a couple of your flickr shots..... and they are pretty damn good. If only i could get that kind of sharpness...

Last season I was very much in favour of uniform cropping. However this year I have given editing simply around the action a try and I have to admit after giving it a try I do believe it makes for better images as it brings focus straight to the point.

But hey, as you say it's all down to our own preferences and that's great.:) The tips you've already been given are pretty sound, I'd certainly say that new 70-200 f2.8 will see an improvement in your images, sharper and having the advantage of such a shallow aperture is very handy.

Last season I was very much in favour of uniform cropping. However this year I have given editing simply around the action a try and I have to admit after giving it a try I do believe it makes for better images as it brings focus straight to the point.

for selling as prints uniform cropping is a must ... for media then hardly any cropping is a must... for messageboards then crop to taste :)

They say football is a funny old game, but they should try photographing it!:LOL:

Luckily for me the prints I've sold here and there and my shots going in programmes have been fine with my editing as I've chosen but I can understand why at more serious publication levels there is set guidelines. Hopefully as I progress I shall have reason to learn them all.:p

Back