A few "Portrait" experiments with a long Telephoto

When I look at these I’m distracted by the badly done black background, which is presumably the opposite of the intent.

I’d like to see what they looked like prior to the BG manipulation

When I look at these I’m distracted by the badly done black background, which is presumably the opposite of the intent.

I’d like to see what they looked like prior to the BG manipulation

That's for your comments Phil - for me the BG is just a solid black created in LR

always prepared to learn?

That's for your comments Phil - for me the BG is just a solid black created in LR

always prepared to learn?
It is quite apparent that the BG was artificially removed, particularly the 2nd/3rd images; there are some areas where LR's select BG didn't do a great job in all of them. Sometimes w/ LR it does better if you use select subject instead and then invert the mask. But almost always it requires manual masking, and multiple masks, to do a good job; except for the most simple of situations. I usually find using PS to be much more effective.

It is quite apparent that the BG was artificially removed, particularly the 2nd/3rd images; there are some areas where LR's select BG didn't do a great job in all of them. Sometimes w/ LR it does better if you use select subject instead and then invert the mask. But almost always it requires manual masking, and multiple masks, to do a good job; except for the most simple of situations. I usually find using PS to be much more effective.

Thanks, that's what I did - I inverted the mask

I did that as well - select subject, select BG etc
Whichever way you did it, it’s not made a pleasing job of it.

That was my point. Sorry if I was a little subtle. For me the only reason to heavily edit an image is to create something amazing I couldn’t have done in camera.

And these just look like candid portraits cut out of their environment. Which is why I’d be interested to see your original image :)

Whichever way you did it, it’s not made a pleasing job of it.

That was my point. Sorry if I was a little subtle. For me the only reason to heavily edit an image is to create something amazing I couldn’t have done in camera.

And these just look like candid portraits cut out of their environment. Which is why I’d be interested to see your original image :)

I can see what you mean Phil, now I can view them on my desktop

Back