A frosty dawn at Elterwater

Name
Jake
Edit My Images
No
Was waiting for the shots to come through mate! Nice placid scenes, its always the way, you get to a nice location and wait for the light that sadly never comes:(.
Still my pick is 3 but 2 is close to the No1 slot. Its a lovely reflection you have got there. I love the way that fir tree stands out, a nice contrast, almost like colour popping. Great range of misty hills behind.
No2 Next it has good clarity, and you have the complete reflection of the trees in the water, theres a sort of blue hue reflected in the water, which adds to the cold frosty morning experience, i quite like that.
I like the bands of colour from the top.... the blue grey sky, then the silhouette of dark trees, then the rusty red ferns, the white frost, up to the far bank. A great reflection then that frosty foreground grass..... nice contrasting layers, Works for me!
No 1 is nice but eclipsed a little by 1&2 IMHO
Nice work Jake, pity the light wasnt on your side:(

It drives me mental every Bl**dy morning when i drive into work, i see the dawn breaking and think thats going to be cracking light! on the weekends when i do get time to get out with the camera its rubbish, its doing my head in!!

The lights a bit flat in them. The last one shows a hint of promise. I'd like to see a slightly less tight take just so there's a bit more room both at the top and bottom of the frame. It feels cramped
Flat wouldn't be my choice of word. Granted it's not golden light, but it's far from flat.
I have it non cropped, preferred the crop though.

Was waiting for the shots to come through mate! Nice placid scenes, its always the way, you get to a nice location and wait for the light that sadly never comes:(.
Still my pick is 3 but 2 is close to the No1 slot. Its a lovely reflection you have got there. I love the way that fir tree stands out, a nice contrast, almost like colour popping. Great range of misty hills behind.
No2 Next it has good clarity, and you have the complete reflection of the trees in the water, theres a sort of blue hue reflected in the water, which adds to the cold frosty morning experience, i quite like that.
I like the bands of colour from the top.... the blue grey sky, then the silhouette of dark trees, then the rusty red ferns, the white frost, up to the far bank. A great reflection then that frosty foreground grass..... nice contrasting layers, Works for me!
No 1 is nice but eclipsed a little by 1&2 IMHO
Nice work Jake, pity the light wasnt on your side:(

It drives me mental every Bl**dy morning when i drive into work, i see the dawn breaking and think thats going to be cracking light! on the weekends when i do get time to get out with the camera its rubbish, its doing my head in!!

Thanks mate :) Light was a pain but the scenes were pleasant enough!
2 & 3 are my choices too, it was a pain to get a full reflection and a foreground of some sort.
Hopefully next time I'll get better light!

I'm lucky to get out in the mornings before work, but I know exactly what you're saying! The weekends, when I have lots of time, seem to be s***.

BTW went to the Eel Traps early Saturday morning was chocka with Togs!!!
Decided to go down the test a bit futher downstream be more peaceful ....

No nor me!! It had been forecast for a week that the weather was going to be excellent on Saturday, with clearish sky and frosty. so me thinks this will be a great opportunity to shoot there. I got there early of course and couldn't even park! So deliberated for a bit, the bridge had a fair few Togs on it already so i decided to push off further down the Test to some other spots. After that i went on down to look at the Eling tide mill to scan any possibilities there. Then pushed on down to Lepe. Spent a few hours walking there (It was like a summers day and dead calm). Then came back up via Longstock for the sunset for a bit of golden light.

Good set Jake, for me #1 is the most complete picture, I like the way the grasses in the foreground lead you into the scene,

Geoff

I like those Jake.

#1 & 2 both look cold and frosty!

I don't agree with others that the light was flat - #3 is a great reflection and the layers work really well.

No nor me!! It had been forecast for a week that the weather was going to be excellent on Saturday, with clearish sky and frosty. so me thinks this will be a great opportunity to shoot there. I got there early of course and couldn't even park! So deliberated for a bit, the bridge had a fair few Togs on it already so i decided to push off further down the Test to some other spots. After that i went on down to look at the Eling tide mill to scan any possibilities there. Then pushed on down to Lepe. Spent a few hours walking there (It was like a summers day and dead calm). Then came back up via Longstock for the sunset for a bit of golden light.
I've never been anywhere else along the Test. Not somewhere I tend to explore, I normally just go to the New Forest or down to the coast from Winchester.
A nice set from a good morning out mate, nice one :)
Cheers matey :)

Good set Jake, for me #1 is the most complete picture, I like the way the grasses in the foreground lead you into the scene,

Geoff
Thank Geoff!
I like those Jake.

#1 & 2 both look cold and frosty!

I don't agree with others that the light was flat - #3 is a great reflection and the layers work really well.
Thank you Adrian, I thought the same myself. Dull and flat are two completely different things!

Second is my favourite, I like the way the clouds fan out from the trees and nice foreground.

Back