A hat trick from Skye last year

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
Took the gf to the Isle of Skye late last year for an extended weekend. We needed a little relaxation time after moving house and little did she know I was going to use this trip to pop the question!!
I know these are very common shots and have been done to the death, but this trip wasn't really about the photography. That was a secondary thought on this occasion.

Thankfully she said yes and we're getting married later this year :)

1. Neist Point light house

Neist point by Gavin_D2009, on Flickr

2. The Quaraing.

Quaraing by Gavin_D2009, on Flickr

3. The Fairy pools.

Purity by Gavin_D2009, on Flickr

What a fab set Gavin, all of them are cracking shots. Love the light trails in the 2nd, just a shame they didn't quite make it around the bend.

Like all three but I'll pick out the sky in number one to make a great shot.

ditto
how,,?...do you point an ND parallel to the cloud flow direction - .?

#3 i enjoyed - sometimes the ND effect is too much - this is perfect
i've done a bit of 'Munro bagging' - the clouds are foreboding - as in reality

ditto
how,,?...do you point an ND parallel to the cloud flow direction - .?

#3 i enjoyed - sometimes the ND effect is too much - this is perfect
i've done a bit of 'Munro bagging' - the clouds are foreboding - as in reality

The cloud streaks are totally 100% photoshop. Radial blur tool set to zoom my friend ;)

Lovely images, only issue with 2 is the broken trail. I'd like to see a full trail through the frame or not at all.

Otherwise flawless images I would be delighted to have taken and processed myself.

Thanks Steve, The trails are slightly annoying, Just a mistiming on my part and a really slow driver lol

Lovely images, only issue with 2 is the broken trail. I'd like to see a full trail through the frame or not at all.

Otherwise flawless images I would be delighted to have taken and processed myself.

Thanks Steve, The trails are slightly annoying, Just a mistiming on my part and a really slow driver lol

NO1 for me the path appears to meander along the cliff top to imagine the lighthouse,this seems to carry the eye forward.
Sky is very dramatic and enhances the scene.
GEORGE.

#1 and #2 are beautiful captures and renditions.

…not a fan at all of #3.

That is a lovely set. Number one is my choice of the three. Nice photos and a bonus to boot........she said "yes" :)

"Excellent" set of images Gavin, no fav's I'm liking them all very much.(y)

George.

The Neist Point image works very well and I like the change of light in the foreground.
Fairy Pools looks good except for background looking a little 'grey' for want of a better word.
The Quaraing shot looks to me to be at the wrong angle, the tree is partially lost in the background and as pointed out above the road has been lost ... different angle would have resolved this.
Congratulations of the forthcoming wedding :)

I think the Neist point picture is rather special, its got lovely colours and movement from the sky. I bet it would look nice in print.
The second one doesn't do much for me and as Gramps says, it looks like your standing in the wrong place with the tree disappearing in the hill. I did see if you could crop above the tree for a pano but not really sure either.
I like the Fairy pools and it reminds me of a wonderful walk up to that point and beyond.
Overall it looks like you were blessed with some good weather. Congrats on the yes vote (y)

Very good work. I do like number 3, and 1 is super too. Congrats on the engagement too - if she said yes even though you were spending time wandering around with your camera then she's obviously the right woman for you!

Simply stunning.
Congratulations on your skill, judgement and ability; oh, and that wedding thing too...
Well done all round in fact.

They might be 'common' shots but these are uncommonly good. Congratulations for both the photos and the upcoming nuptuals.

A lovely set. The sky blur is excellent in the first image, very effective and it doesn't matter how it was achieved. I see a slight halo along the horizon but it's not bothersome. I'd burn the bottom left hand corner down a little by about 8%, just to hold the eye in. It's a stonker as is though.

The 2nd is the weaker image of the set for me, not that it is weak in any sense. The point made about the trail being cut off is fair comment but it doesn't detract too much from the image. I like the image as it is although I think thre are potentially different (better?) angles of it.

I love the 3rd image, it's very foreboding. The almost desaturated look brings an atmosphere to it that really sets it off. The water is perfect over the falls.

I really must get to Skye and if I come back with anything approaching these, I'll be happy.

Last edited:
I like no 2 as is. Great shot.

No 1 has amazing sky but the processing has done something weird to grass. I guess there is too much shadow recovery going on. I would just dial it back till it resembles grass in natural shade.

I would be very happy with 3 but again the processing needs a little step back. The sky is artificially dark muddy (greenish?) grey and water pool needs a little bit more contrast to it.

Love 1, what a sky. And i like the fact the water is streaked right to left to offer a different direction to the sky.

And congrats on the big question popping!

Congrats Gavin.

I like the set but I'm gonna go against the grain here and say the 1st is my least favourite, mainly because of the processing of the rocks against the Sea. I can see why everyone likes it but to me it looks super imposed onto the sea which has obviously had a motion blur applied, just looks unnatural to my eye.

Last edited:
Great photos mate, and congrats!

Not a fan of the clouds in 1 to be honest, but they do look real!

3 is actually my favourite and is one of the places I must visit! I've only ever been to the Kyle to deliver a car and that's the closest I've been.

A superb set of photos, makes me want to go there and see this for myself. Very impressed top quality shots.

3 is really nice. Only minor point, perhaps the highlights in the waterfalls are 'slightly' too retained, meaning the water looks a little grey.

Back