A lens for close jewellery shots

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking at what lens I would require to do close up of the Hand crafted jewellery my wife creates.

We have a canon 550D with 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS kit lens at this time.

We are quite new to the photography area, all we had before this was a canon powershot.

So any help will be gratefully received.

Kind regards

Jon

You could try a reversing ring with your current lens, or an older lens of, say, 35-70mm so you get an adjustable aperture (it can be any brand: the reversing ring just needs to be suitable for its filter diameter and your camera's mount). You'd want a tripod, or clamp mount to screw to a work surface. You'd be working manually with a reversing ring, and it would allow a coin-sized object to fill the frame. For more camera/lens automation a modern macro lens such as the Tamron 90mm would be required.

The lens you have would be fine if you couple it to a set of extension tubes. If you go down the extension tube route, make sure that they are EFS compatible (as many are EF only) and have the electrical contacts to allow full control from the camera. My personal recommendation would be Kenko tubes.

i have a tripod along with a remote switch ordered, so I don't wobble the camera whilst taking the shot.

I will have a look at both options and see what I can find.

thanks.

Back