A little bit of success

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Not the best, most interesting, or even original picture, but it is definitely the first time I've really nailed the lighting and focus like I've wanted to on a globby eye. With these species the black ocelli on a black background of the eyes are hard to capture clearly without having to pull out detail in PP, with all the problems that brings.

Definitely helps having the flash on a flexi arm, so I could get the light more to the side it's facing. I'm having to use a 12mm extension tube with the MPE, so I can twist the tripod bracket around to point upwards to hold the flexi-arm.

Does make it a PITA to use at low magnification, but it's definitely still usable as long as I've got the hood on the lens too.

waggle... by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

While I'm here here's a few other shots taken on the same day.

Aphid by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

What on earth is this beetle larva going to become?

Beetle larva? by markhortonphotography, on Flickr

Very nice set of images Mark, with good composition & exposure, plenty of detail where it needs to be, and it looks as if your lighting is pretty much on the money.(y)

George.

Those are some incredible shots you have managed to capture. I have not tried serious macro photography but this is very inspirational.

The Lacewing larvae is superb and the Dicrytomina Saundersi looks like he has exploded out of a volcano. Superb posing and colours.

Brilliant Mark I really love that first shot.

I think Matt might be right with the lacewing ID, although it seems a bit early for them to be appearing in my experience. That said it does look a particularly early instar one, and hasn't bulked out very much. Interesting stuff..
The Lacewing larvae is superb and the Dicrytomina Saundersi looks like he has exploded out of a volcano. Superb posing and colours.
I just made the volcano comparison on your Aphid and Barkfly thread. Great minds :)

Back