A little more Magnification

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
After yesterdays outing, i set myself a little mission....how close could i get :thinking:

I already use 68mm of extension tubes with my Tamron 90mm, so i thought........why not try with 136mm of extension tubes on my Tamron 90mm :D

Not sure what the mag ratio is :thinking:, im just wondering how much closer i can get :LOL:

RESULTS:

The first 2 shots are both uncropped. The last is a crop of the 2nd shot:

1: Uncropped
5491808110_b9f96b305e_z.jpg

2: Uncropped
5491214941_b1bea636a2_z.jpg

3: Crop of 2
5491215175_50a22cece8_z.jpg

love #1 really simple and artistic (runs off to try the same!)

After yesterdays outing, i set myself a little mission....how close could i get :thinking:

I already use 68mm of extension tubes with my Tamron 90mm, so i thought........why not try with 136mm of extension tubes on my Tamron 90mm :D

Not sure what the mag ratio is :thinking:, im just wondering how much closer i can get :LOL:

Well the closest you can get with any lens is when the subject hits the front element of your lens.

And that can easily happen if you use extension tubes with a short focal length lens.

The alternative is a dedicated macro lens - the ultimate is probably the Canon MP-E65

However the other thing is how dark the subject gets as you extend the lens.

For instance a 2/1 magnification factor will increase the exposure by 4 times and the 5x maximum magnification offered by the MP-E65 will increase the exposure by 25 times!

So a flash setup becomes a necessity.

And of course, as your pics show, you have to contend with an incredibly small DOF.

Wow, thanks for the idea on the ballpoint pen, I have to try that.

Excellent pictures by the way!

Love the spider pic.

I have a picture of a ball point pen, its really fun to try although you might need a macro rail for the focusing and off camera flash thought.

Definitely give it a go, this pic is 60mm macro kenko tubes and 100% crop (I think lol)

If you want me to remove it just say.

Portrait in Ball of Ballpoint Pen by Robbo1985, on Flickr

Back