A mixed bag....

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello All,

Not been on for a while as I've been out trying to improve my bird photography whilst practising all the advice that you have kindly given me....

There's still a long way to go and lots of room for improvement but here's a few from the last couple of weeks

As always advice and critique very gratefully received!....

DSC_00941.JPG

DSC_00163.JPG

DSC_00132.JPG

DSC_00465.JPG

DSC_00851.JPG

DSC_01025.JPG

Thanks for looking...

Well Higgy looks like you are getting there slowly (y) Your main probs with the Sparrow shots is aperture. You do not need f22 to start with, this even with an ISO of 3200 on one of them shots is giving you a shutter of 1/25 even on a Tripod you are pushing your luck at that speed. Notice with the Dove shots that an aperture of f5.6 and only an ISO of 200 has given you a faster shutter and resulted in a better looking picture. If you had used an ISO of say 400-800 that would have given you an even faster shutter to work with. Depending on lighting an aperture of about f8 is the max you really need to go with and keep the shutter as fast as you can.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the advice it is appreciated. I realised that the settings were wrong on the sparrow shots as I came home from work and there was a lovely little flock of a dozen all fighting over the feeder. Not thinking what I was doing I picked up the camera and shot off a load of shots. It wasn't until later that I realised that I still had the camera on settings which I had been messing around with the previous evening whilst out taking some landscape and sunset pictures! The dove pictures would be how I would normally start off for birds/wildlife.

Interesting your comments on PP with the woodpecker as I usually use very little PP but on this one I did and I can see the effect you mean now!.....will rectify this and remember for next time!

Many thanks

Back