A moody morning at Bamburgh

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Insanity

That's what I thought when my alarm went off at 0330 this morning after a little less then 4 hours sleep, to drive 2 hours over to Bamburgh for a sunrise that the forecast pretty much denied was even going to happen. Thick fog from Hexham to the A1, I hate driving in fog, I like to see what's going on. A massive lightning bolt half way up the A1 soon sharp woke me up, it lit the whole sky up and everything around me!
I got to Bamburgh around 0600, the only car there, the only one mad enough to be out this morning! Anyhow, I had time for a wee car nap, just 10 mins, it made all the difference, as I woke up to rain, not forecast until after sunrise! The sea was feisty though so I got sorted and headed out.

I love Bamburgh, I've shot this place right from the beginning of my photography journey almost 14 years ago, and I always will, it's never the same twice, the sands shifting revealing new ledges to shoot from, and then the sky kicked off. It really went crazy for 5 minutes! I've never seen anything like it in my life, it was absolutely amazing to watch it form and blow across in front of me.

A morning where I questioned whether it was worth it on the way, to a 2 hour drive home absolutely buzzing with what was on those wee memory cards!

If you got this far, thanks and I hope you like the images!
1f923.png
1f92a.png

Bamburgh Crazy Sky 2 by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Bamburgh crazy sky by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Hi Martin, trust me it was well worth your time. A great take of a moody Bamburgh Castle.

Two "Excellent" landscape style captures Martin, nothing more to be said.

What you need to ask your self is who was in the castle, and what were they doing to make the sky overhead go like that!

Fantastic shots Martin

Last edited:
Definitely worthwhile. The first one is spectacular (see I'm groping to use a sensible word rather than wow, wow, wow!). It's the wee points of light on the castle that make it. But really does look like there's a witches' plot being hatched

~~~~S T U N N I N G~~~~

Hi Martin, trust me it was well worth your time. A great take of a moody Bamburgh Castle.
Awesome images.
Fantastic shots, I really like those.
Well worth going out for.
Thanks for sharing
Two "Excellent" landscape style captures Martin, nothing more to be said.
What you need to ask your self is who was in the castle, and what were they doing to make the sky overhead go like that!

Fantastic shots Martin
Definitely worthwhile. The first one is spectacular (see I'm groping to use a sensible word rather than wow, wow, wow!). It's the wee points of light on the castle that make it. But really does look like there's a witches' plot being hatched
~~~~S T U N N I N G~~~~

Thank you all kindly folks, appreciate it :)

It's your muse.

Outstanding.
You were amply rewarded for your determination.

Lovely work Bud. I really should make the same effort to get there too. Maybe soon.

Both lovely shots but 2 would be my pick.

Going to Bamburgh in July on holiday. If I get photos half as good I'd be very happy.

simply terrific images, your dedication paid off

As others have indicated, great images. I only wish I had the drive and energy. Lol!:)

Last edited:
Back