A night out with the lads

Name
Umar
Edit My Images
Yes
A night out last week, I had my D90 with me, and here's one of the pics.

I've used a Toy Camera effect.

Comments?

3285139359_2767be34bc.jpg

Sorry, not sure what sort of feedback you want for this. It just looks like a snap taken on a night out to me. The background is distracting and I'm not sure whether you were taking a photo of the guy at the front or the couple behind him. Sorry if it sounds harsh but I really can't see any photographic merit there.

Thanks for the feedback.

I have been wanting to try the "Toy Camera" effect as I have read so much about it.

You are right, it was a snap on a night out, and I agree it has no artistic or emotional value except to the people there on the night.

But I was looking for some feedback on the Toy camera effect.

Thanks

Toy camera? Eh? :D

I agree with the above, you've just tried to process a snapshot. Sorry!

I'd dispense with the "toy" camera effect.

Crop the left and right hand side of the image losing the thing on the wall and the guy folding his arms and it will be a much better grab shot

I looks like the Toy Camera effect might be the Emperor's New Clothes :D

Thank you very much for the feedback - all of it, I do appreciate the comments.

Thanks Chivers67 for your suggestion, I will re-work it (although I might not be brave enough to post the result here !!!).

The toning and vignetting I like - but it's the wrong shot for it. It's a look that's all Hovis ad and nostalgia and yet the actual photo is lads having fun in the here and now. The comments about what you're taking are right -- I think next time you have your camera out on a night like this think about what sort of moments you want to capture in advance and maybe think about angles and ways of getting them.

I wouldn't use this processing for it though - something punchier should do the trick (in b/w or colour). The effect I would go back to though -- maybe for a street scene or similar where there's an odd mix of odd and new (say a cobbled street and terraced houses with a new cars parked outside) (okay not the most original idea) ...

I'd have to agree, any effect that leaves 25% of your intended subject matter completely indistinguishable doesn't look like a worthwhile excercise to me.

Sorry

If it's a toy camera effect I presume it's replicating the light-leak and other imperfections of Holga/Diana/Lomo et al.

Thats right gingerjon. Or certainly was the intention.

All feedback good and especially bad makes me want to try harder next time.

I appreciate it, and thanks for taking the time to be constructive.

Back