A Perfect Peak District Day

Name
James
Edit My Images
No
Hey up all,

I have some pictures here that I have been waiting 2 years for. I'd never so much as seen mist/fog in the valleys while I had a camera in my hand....anyway little did I know I was in for one of the best days I've ever had.

Now, some I really like and some are so/so to me, but I know how subjective photography is so thought i'd share them all and let you make your own minds up :)

I took hell of a lot on the day, but had to throw quite a few away, either down to flare caused by filters or just some silly mistakes like needing to use a higher aperture than f/11 when shooting into the sun. Shooting these scenes were a challenge for me, with it being something I've never done before and found composition quite tricky at times when theres no reference points and all there is is cloud. We live and learn and in 2 years time maybe I'll nail it :)

I woke up, bright and early again, this time it looked very unpromising but knowing we had a plasterer coming around at 8 that'd wake me up no doubt thought may as well go out, even if to explore.

The drive was a bit dodgey, with visibility quite low when you got to a bit of higher ground. My first stop was Curbar Edge but turning up and not being able to even see where I was parking hardly I turned around and reluctantly headed over to Mam Tor to see if there was anything there. I say reluctantly because Mam Tor is overdone and it is somewhere I've been a few times myself. However I knew the ground would be higher.

After more scary driving on the way, especially up Winnats Pass, I parked in the Mam Nick Car Park, still very much in the thick of it....setting off grumpy I headed up to the top of Mam Tor.

I'm glad I did, because I was to meet my first ever full cloud inversion. Here is what I got after a little waiting for the sun to come up

1)
mam_tor_cliff.jpg

I spent a couple of hours on Mam Tor, so here are my efforts. The light was fantastic.

2)Misty Fields
misty_fields.jpg

3)Rushup Edge
rushup_edge.jpg

4)Winnats Pass (Dramatic I think!)
winnats_mist.jpg

5)The Great Ridge just poking through the inversion.
great_ridge_inversion.jpg

6)Lose Hill and Back Tor
lose_hill.jpg

More to follow...

7)One from the cliff that I was stood at for sunrise after the cloud had burnt off a little.
mam_tor_cliff_blue.jpg

I had a potter over to Rushup Edge and as some may remember I took a picture of quite an oddly shaped tree over there the week before and did a long exposure of it in black and white. I thought wouldn't it be great to now get the same tree with all the mist in the background.

8)
the_tree_retake.jpg

So after all this. I went back to the car feeling quite warm...checked the temperature gauge and it was a scorching 17 degrees!

I headed over Buxton way to see what it was like there, I had a few shots in mind but coming off the Cat and Fiddle I noticed Salmons temple surrounded by mist. Great I thought so headed there, only to find a group of about 20 people eating their lunch for about 30 minutes by which time the mist had gone. However, I quite like this photo taken from the top of the temple just allowing Buxton to show through after the mist had moved a little. Maybe postcard material for the area.

9)
buxton.jpg

10)Another looking towards the Cat and Fiddle
walk_this_way.jpg

Next I went off to Blake Mere, I've had to bin a few shots from here but we live and learn...just another 2 years to wait for this site!

11)Blake Mere
blake_mere.jpg

12)Hen Cloud
hen_cloud.jpg

There will be one more...

Some fantastic shots there, especially the ridge from Mam Tor with fog either side of Hope & Edale valleys.
3,6 & 8 are my faves, well done, i envy you being nearer than me to the great peaks :)

James

have to agree with Graham re great shots - particularly 1 & 13.

10 is nice but the puddle at the bottom of the steps is taking me away from the sign post which I think is a grreat lead in.

Winnats and Back Tor are classic shots.

Fantastic set.

Number 7 would be my pick I think.

WOW fantastic :clap::clap::clap:

Can you phone me next time you know you are going to take shots like these :LOL:

I like them all but my favourites have to be 3, 13 & 5 in that order. #5 would have sneaked into 2nd place if my eye wasn't drawn to the (I assume) cooling tower "cloud" on the horizon - easily removed though.

Thanks for sharing.

Excellent set of shots. Living close to the Peak District, it inspires me to get out there and try to get some of my own! Maybe a few years more practice before i can get anything nearly as good ;)

Great set of shots, can't really choose between them....the only slight negative comment I'd make is that the processing is a bit unnatural looking in some for me but that's purely my personal taste - well done in capturing an excellent set of shots (y)

Simon

some fantastic shots of a lovely part of the world - been there many many times climbing and walking.

Excellent images......1 and 3 for me. Hope to get some temperature/cloud inversion shots myself this winter.

Andy

Oh I envy you these shots.... I have been hoping to catch an inversion for ages but nothing as yet.

Smashing shots.

Flaming hell, they are jaw droppingly awesome, very good work :clap:

Totally agree, absolutely fantastic...which town/Village is Hen Cloud, Winnats Pass and Mam Tor close to please James
Dave

Last edited:
Really nice set, number 1,2&6 for me. However, I think no.3 is very nice but looks over saturated (HDR) to me, if the foreground saturation were to be turned down this may be the best of bunch IMHO.

That said all are very good.

GavT

Great set of shots, can't really choose between them....the only slight negative comment I'd make is that the processing is a bit unnatural looking in some for me but that's purely my personal taste - well done in capturing an excellent set of shots (y)

Simon

I have to agree with Simon, I do think there is a little bit of the unnatural look, probably with the first the most obvious, the halo around the land and cloud line. But a great series of shots, looks like a great day out. As for the CI, you swine!

all super shots...and with the mist or cloud and the processing...exquisite
i feel a bit shamed at my stuff of the moors and hills
more power to you...and some to me please
cheers
geof

Thank you all - wasn't expecting so many replies when I logged back in!!!!

It's always interesting to read replies I think too when you see everyone's opinions, sometimes conflicting too just showing how subjective images can be.

Can you phone me next time you know you are going to take shots like these :LOL:

I like them all but my favourites have to be 3, 13 & 5 in that order. #5 would have sneaked into 2nd place if my eye wasn't drawn to the (I assume) cooling tower "cloud" on the horizon - easily removed though.

Thanks for sharing.

Wish I knew but it wasn't even forecast for anything like it! Just need to risk it sometimes! Not sure about the cloud, was aware of it when I was there, they were dotted every now and again so not sure if cooling towers or not.

Really nice set, number 1,2&6 for me. However, I think no.3 is very nice but looks over saturated (HDR) to me, if the foreground saturation were to be turned down this may be the best of bunch IMHO.

That said all are very good.

GavT

Thank you - no HDR I'm pleased to say. Its funny you should mention the saturation and stuff. The quality of light when you get an inversion is something else. I have to say, with most shots including number 3 i've had to tune the processing down for example using lightroom the vibrance/saturation for shot 3 was only 8...in my eyes that's pretty damn low! So I'm in two minds whether to just leave it be or take it down even more?

Totally agree, absolutely fantastic...which town/Village is Hen Cloud, Winnats Pass and Mam Tor close to please James
Dave

Hen Cloud is between Buxton and Leek. Winnats Pass and Mam Tor is near Castleton.

Thanks for sharing.

It's probably vapour from the several quarries/cement works in the area. Such a still day that the 'cloud' (vapour) rises straight up!

Have to agree with all the other posters though, really good set of images. Inversions are on my 'to do' list, never seem to be at the right time or right place!

Thank you for sharing, marvelous set. The wife and I have walked many of the places mentioned and this adds another dimension, to the walk and the pictures - well done.

Lovely set, particularly 2 and 6. At least someone enjoyed the fog last Friday. :)

Some great shots there... I did Mam Tor 20 years ago at night with moon light and snow on the few peaks that were showing through the cloud base... The pictures are long since lost but it offers some amazing views day or night..

good set

Pete

Cracking pictures and a good description of your day as well. Love them!

Great set of shots, I've been Castleton way several times but mostly around the middle of the day or afternoon but would love to see something like that. Particularly like 6 and 12.Well done! :)

Thanks for taking your time to look. Hope you enjoyed at least one :)

James

I'm totally new to all this but some great shots in that collection.

I particularly like 3, 11 & 13.

What Camera & Lens did you use?

Thanks for sharing,

Sesame

Back