A project on my local town..

I like them all but I think the first shots is maybe out of place here as there's no context? You know best though :D

I've been thinking of doing something similar.

Good luck with the project and I hope you'll post more :D

Thanks @woof woof - these are all fairly recent.. and I have a few older ones that I can dig out once I find them.

In term so the first one being the odd one out, you're right of course ;) At this early stage of the project I'm happy to mix a bit of traditional street photography, urban landscape and surfaces/close ups. We'll see how it goes :D

Thanks @woof woof - these are all fairly recent.. and I have a few older ones that I can dig out once I find them.

In term so the first one being the odd one out, you're right of course ;) At this early stage of the project I'm happy to mix a bit of traditional street photography, urban landscape and surfaces/close ups. We'll see how it goes :D

I think if it was me doing this I might have taken the same picture, but it wouldn't be out of place as I'd know where it was :D

It was just a thought and not meant to be a criticism as I do like them all. Maybe the first tatty poster shot would be better placed between town centre pictures rather than being the first in the sequence? I don't know, maybe I'm talking tosh.

Last edited:
I have no idea where I'm going with this.. hopefully an idea will develop over time...
That's how I usually start a project, and something does usually materialise. Just keep shooting and occasionally reviewing what you've got to see if any themes, visual or otherwise, emerge. (y)

Looks good here and paticularly on your website (where the poster shot is further into the theme)
Your other project re London night time looks good also.

As a standalone I really like the comp and colours of the car beneath the blossom trees. Symmetry, colour of doors, slightly unsaturated - (y)

The shots do illustrate the desperate state of this country's urban fabric - not at all uncommon in the majority of our towns . Quite depressing:confused:

Many years ago a Birmingham Jeweller semi-retired in Tewkesbury. The first thing he did was to take a number of photographs recording the time/place. Twenty years later he repeated this and showing the differences was quite interesting for locals. Inspired by this I took a set of shots around my town picking some places that I thought would change and some which I thought would not. Over 20 years has passed and I was considering completing the exercise but the originals were not dated precisely and are slides which is a pain. But the idea of then and now is good.

Dave

I think it's a good idea. One that tends to get overlooked. The only problem is I've got to hang around for twenty years to see the results. :p

One of the diversions that I've been on with this project is exploring some of the empty retail units using a deadpan aesthetic.. I suspect a lot of people can relate to this set when they walk around their local town centre

DSCF7154 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

DSCF7160 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1008347 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1008346 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1008343 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1008339 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1003396 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1003133 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

One of the diversions that I've been on with this project is exploring some of the empty retail units using a deadpan aesthetic.. I suspect a lot of people can relate to this set when they walk around their local town centre

DSCF7154 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

DSCF7160 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1008347 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1008346 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1008343 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1008339 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1003396 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr

L1003133 by Ben Cremin, on Flickr
I like this idea very much.

Fantastic project. Some very thought provoking images.

Back