A Sad Day For Electronic Music

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
My all time favourite musician, Edgar Froese, the founder of Tangerine Dream, has suddenly and unexpectedly passed away.

Rest In Peace.

ED%20LONDON%20s-w-FB.jpg

Talking of electronic music, there is a kraftwerk documentary on BBC4 next week.

Sad day indeed, I've been a fan of TD for 30 years and saw them several times, starting in 1990, when a school friend copies some of their albums onto tape for me. To this day, Logos and Encore are permenant features on my car's CD changer, only reason Ricochet isn't there as well is that I concentrate too much on the music and not enough on the road when part 2 comes on.

There's an entire shelf of TD compact discs in my lounge!

I got to see him live at Shepherd's Bush in 1997, he has only just split up with his long term co-player, Christopher Franke at that time but in true TD style he went from strength to strength with his music anyway.
But for me, the more experimental 70's stuff involving the Froese, Franke and Baumann line up is my favourite era. They helped me "believe in myself" during my rather difficult teenage years in the early 80's (my parents had split up and I was attending a college course miles away from home which I truly hated).

In the last count, I have 120 of their albums in the form of vinyl LPs, CDs and a couple of paid-for downloads along with posters, a book and a mirror picture of their Stratsofear album. I also possess most of Edgar's own solo works.

Now that is sad, TD for years was my go to choice to fall asleep with :(

I heard about this earlier.

Not a group I was 'really into' but I dipped in an out during my mellow moments :)

Sad news.

It has a mention in the Mirror: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/edgar-froese-dead-tangerine-dream-5036371?ICID=FB_mirror_main

Actually, every now and then, I look at their official web site and his own site and a couple of weeks ago I have noticed how he looked suddenly quite gaunt in the most recent photo of him attending the launch party of the computer game GTA 5 (as he provided 90 minute's worth of soundtrack for it), but because he had a tour planned for this year along with a couple of albums in the pipeline, I thought perhaps he was just going through a rocky patch health wise as he gave absolutely no indication of winding down on his various projects. So, his death has come as a surprise to me as 70 is considered to be "not that old" these days.

I first got into TD aged 14 in 1981 with Ricochet and Thief and then quite quickly caught up with their back catalogue (Rubycon, Phaedra, Atem, Strastofear, Force Majeure, Logos, Exit) in the form of birthday and Christmas gifts
I was 18 when my parents got me the "Poland Live Concert" and "Hyperborea" LPs, and as soon as I was earning my own wages, it became a weekly routine for me to visit Our Price and a local record shop to look out for the latest releases. It wasn't very long before I was on first name terms with the shop owners and I would knew a new TD album has been released (Le Parcs, Underwater Sunlight, etc) or a hard-to-get-hold of album (Cyclone, Legend, Pergamon, etc) has been found by the way the shop owner's face lit up upon me walking into the shop and I just kept buying them up as I got older.
As a result, I was able to associate a particular type of track with various stages of my life (attending college, job changes, mother's mental illness, passing the driving test, relationships, my "night clubbing" phase and so on). I now I have over 120 albums in the form of vinyl LPs, CD and downloads.

I think because of my being hard of hearing, I found their music to be "fluid" and "freeflowing" and thus easy to follow as I've never liked hearing anything that has vocals in it (hence I struggled with Purgatorio and Madcap's Flaming Duty but didn't mind Cyclone and Tyger). It also brought out the creative streak in me as their music had the effect of making me explore the depths of my mind - which I express in the form of my photography. I know it sounds quite sad and crazy but then again, I wouldn't be a very good Tangerine Dream fan if their music didn't have that effect on me.

Edgar Froese has a more profound influence on my life than he could ever realise - and for that I am eternally grateful.

Incidentally, he has been working on an autobiography, which I've already pre-ordered and paid for. I have a feeling it's going to get released sooner rather than later, I hope so as it would be a fitting homage to Edgar.

Wasn't available at all until 1986 or so, only way to get it was the Quichotte LP on Amiga from the DDR (or somoone selling a copy in the private ads section of "Record Collector" in my case).

I used to go into London on the train and walk the length of Oxford street - the two big HMVs and two big Virgin Megastores and particularly the one at the junction with Tottenham Court Road would have unusual / imported stuff, plus there were the small second hand record shops on Hanway street behind it where long deleted unusual stuff could sometimes be found as well e.g. Force Majeure pressed with clear vinyl.

RIP Edgar Froese, then.

I had Force Majeure on clear vinyl but the pressing was awful.

Back