A skateboarding photo

I really like this one,I like the background,giving it the feel of an urban playground, the subject is nice and sharp and well lit.Well done Sam.

Thanks for the comments. Yeah I have a couple more, but he was coming the other way for most of them so I could see his face in them. I don't normally like bum shots either :p

Prefer to see his face - also too many lights used! How many suns in your sky?

3 :). I never try to balance it with the ambient. Flashes nearly always make an action sports photo look better than natural light. Nearly all of my action photos on my website use flashes. Just the way it is haha.

Maybe you should - I don't think the lighting in this is good at all.

I expose 1 or 2 stops under, then use the flash to illuminate the rider/skater/whatever. That's your opinion though. But it's what magazines want to see and it's proven successful so far :)

I would have thought the reason for flashing subjects like tbis was to separate them from the b/g - but here the b/g is very cluttered and confused with the subject. As you say though - just my opinion.

I'll beg to differ with a couple of posts above.

I think the lack of any face really gives this image that little bit extra.

It has been statistically proven that on a portraiture shot the most looked at part is the face and I feel the fact you cannot see this skaters face gives the audience the opportunity to broaden there minds and pay more attention to the image on a whole rather than the skater themselves.

I love the colours used and the graffiti as well!

Back