A streak of light at Cwmorthin

Yes its that time of year isnt it, going through old files!
I like it although i dont really have a thing for B&W... That light is really impressive. You couldnt attempt to recreate that in PP. i love the way it draws you right into Capel y Gorlan(?), its just magical light, with a great matching reflection. I like it Rory, and the tree and the ruins give it great scale! Were you standing out on one of the fingers in the Llyn to take this? A real spotlight on Capel y Gorlan, i think that was a fortunate right time right place!
I like that Good Work mate!

Last edited:
It's rather lovely; however I'd be tempted to lift the shadow in the foreground just a smidge (the land, not the water...and I do mean just a tiny bit), and try to eradicate the halo line along the summit line because that quite draws the eye.

Yes its that time of year isnt it, going through old files!
I like it although i dont really have a thing for B&W... That light is really impressive. You couldnt attempt to recreate that in PP. i love the way it draws you right into Capel y Gorlan(?), its just magical light, with a great matching reflection. I like it Rory, and the tree and the ruins give it great scale! Were you standing out on one of the fingers in the Llyn to take this? A real spotlight on Capel y Gorlan, i think that was a fortunate right time right place!
I like that Good Work mate!
Many thanks for the feedback. Yes I was on one of the fingers. I was up there for over an hour capturing the scene from various points. The image looks better as a Band W as the green is too intense and bright in colour.

Many thanks for the feedback. Yes I was on one of the fingers. I was up there for over an hour capturing the scene from various points. The image looks better as a Band W as the green is too intense and bright in colour.
I remember this place from a quite some time ago, theres lots of slate tips all around the mine isnt there... There was some talk of preserving the place, i guess that has probably happened by now?
I have found on some photos that you just have to wind back the saturation, funny it always seems to be the greens!
Perhaps i should think about B&W sometimes...

All the Best
Steve

Hi Steve,

Mel Thomas from Blaenau Ffestiniog is heading a group of enthusiasts. Their work can be found on Facebook - Cofio Cwmorthin Remembered

If you do pop in to their site could you leave a mention.

It was on the back of getting more photographers to the area that they were able to get funding from various companies etc

Last edited:
Hi Steve,

Mel Thomas from Blaenau Ffestiniog is heading a group of enthusiasts. Their work can be found on Facebook - Cofio Cwmorthin Remembered

If you do pop in to their site could you leave a mention.

It was on the back of getting more photographers to the area that they were able to get funding from various companies etc
Hi Rory,
Thats interesting thanks for the tip i will take a look! I wanted to come back up this month but SWMBO was none to keen because of the weather.:rolleyes:
I would like to go back there and take another good look around, it was1989 i was there last but i guess it hasnt changed that much.
I will make a point of coming back up next year...

Take care all the best
Steve

Back