A very wet Women's Olympic Road Race...

Edit My Images
No
After having quite a lot of fun photographing the men yesterday, I decided to have another go today with the ladies. Unfortunately the weather wasn't quite as kind today and shortly after I set up it started to rain heavily...

Soaked - 2012 Women's Olympic Road Race by William Harvey 2012, on Flickr

German Cyclist - 2012 Women's Olympic Road Race by William Harvey 2012, on Flickr

Peloton - 2012 Women's Olympic Road Race by William Harvey 2012, on Flickr

Dutch Cyclist - 2012 Women's Olympic Road Race by William Harvey 2012, on Flickr

Olympic Road Race Silver Medallist Lizzie Armitstead by William Harvey 2012, on Flickr

Also a few more on my Flickr if anyone is interested.

Thanks for looking :D

Last edited:
A very nice set. I really like #1

A good set!
I think the rain/weather adds an extra dimension to the photgraphs, a certain amount of atmosphere IYSWIM.

No 4 can be retitled Olympic Champion Marianne Vos

Well captured images, worth getting wet for.

First shot is awesome Will, like number three too but the others just dont match up to one and three for me.

John

Thanks all!

Think 1 is my favourite too :)

Blakester - the weather definitely added something and it was really nice to have completely different conditions from yesterday just to mix things up a bit. I got absolutely drenched though :LOL:

Keefy - I'm not certain that is Vos - I'm assuming she was in the small leading group by that stage in the race and that shot was taken a good couple of minutes after that group had passed.

I love sport pictures in the wet, these are great. (y)

Plenty of people would have put the camera away in these conditions & missed some very dramatic shots because of it...Very well done.:)

(No.4 is Ellen Van Dijk)

Stew.

Great shots! I contemplated going over to take some more today as I thought the rain would add something. Seems I should have after all, if this is the quality of shots I'd have got! Love #1 specifically!

That first shot is an absolute cracker! You need to do something with that - some mag somewhere might be interested in it.

Thanks again :)

I changed my original plans because of the rain - I only went because the weather seemed to be getting better so I thought I may as well! It caught me completely by surprise, I thought there might be a bit of drizzle but I wasn't expecting torrential rain and hail! Just about managed to keep the camera dry at the cost of getting very wet myself :)

Alan - thanks! I'd love it if I could get it published somewhere - I've got to say I'm really happy with the reception it's got on here and elsewhere. I have to admit, I'm not that clued up on that side of things and this is the first sport photography so I'm particularly clueless as to who I'd approach. If anyone else agrees and has any suggestions I'd be very grateful :)

It's been said already but #1 and 3 are a bit special.

Definitely #1 for me, could see that in the papers or a magazine. Really captures the atmosphere of the day.

Hey, great shots (y)

What do you do to protect your gear?

I've got a Nikon D7000, which is weatherproofed (I believe) but my lenses are not and I'd be concerned about water/dirt ingress...

Really appreciate all the comments, thanks :D

Adrian - The 7D seems pretty resilient so I', not too worried about that. I've got a waterproof cover very similar to this that I keep over the 100-400 to keep it clean and dry and just to camouflage it a bit when I'm doing nature stuff. I actually didn't take it yesterday for some reason so my top ended up over the camera while I stood around in my t-shirt getting soaked :LOL: It's the first time I've had my gear out in such heavy rain and luckily it doesn't seem to have affected it at all.

Absolutely brilliant set. I agree with a lot of others. #1 is well worthy of publishing.

#1 is cracking!

Always love wet races for the drama and you've got it full on here.

BTW us motorsport lot are out in all weathers, only the level of our happiness changes :)

Hi, First pic is as good a journalistic cycling shot as you will see.

No 6 for me, I love the crowd involvement on the left,really adds to the atmosphere.

Last edited:
Thanks again :D

Hi, First pic is as good a journalistic cycling shot as you will see.

That's very kind, thanks

I did actually approach a few places with a couple of these shots and unfortunately it seems none of them agreed as I didn't get any take up. First and third in particular are two shots I'm very happy to have in my "portfolio" though :)

I love the color in #3 I think the rain adds a very dramatic feel to the image...

super set love 1 and 3 , the latter really looks great with the spectator cheering on never mind that its throwing it down as the peloton comes through

Am loving these shots, but #1 does it for me, so atmospheric! I can feel the water spray ......

Back