A wet morning at the pond

Edit My Images
Yes
I got caught out today by the weather I was expecting light rain but after I was there for 10 minutes it turned into a full blown thunderstorm
even though I was using a raincover the rain was so heavy that after an hour water got into the camera and the sensor fogged up
my gear is all drying out now
I did manage some shots of an Azure damselfly though he was as wet as I was:)
they are all two shot stacks to get the tail in focus
really pleased to get these as it was windy as well I was at ISO 800 for all of these to get a reasonable shutter speed and for most of them I was at F5.6

14181925138_bcecbdc8ea_o.jpg

14181898429_9d17aca055_o.jpg

14367036892_4845713d2c_o.jpg

14388705373_9d0a11b685_o.jpg

Beautiful Pete, more dedication than me I can't afford to go out in rain and damage camera I can't replace.

All excellent pictures and rain has just added a mood to the pictures you don't normally see so great one for being original.

Beautiful Pete, more dedication than me I can't afford to go out in rain and damage camera I can't replace.

All excellent pictures and rain has just added a mood to the pictures you don't normally see so great one for being original.

Thanks Bryn I do like going out to try to find insects in the rain, as with a bit of luck the light can be great:)
I normally only go out in light rain and try to keep my gear dry with a cover
Was a struggle today as the wind kept blowing the damselfly around and i had to keep moving round so ended up with everything wet

Lovely, lovely shots of a beautiful little chap & echo all said already - you're not bad at these shots Pete (y)

Gorgeous set! I can't pick a fav but the rain sure adds something great to these! :D

Sent from Button Moon.....

Lovely, lovely shots of a beautiful little chap & echo all said already - you're not bad at these shots Pete (y)

Thanks very much John, you are very kind:)
I do love photographing damselflies can be tricky getting them all in focus though i cheat now and focus stack!

Last edited:
Gorgeous set! I can't pick a fav but the rain sure adds something great to these! :D

Sent from Button Moon.....

Thanks T glad you like them
It was worth getting wet as you say the raindrops do add something:)

Lovely set No1 is a cracker Pete, hope the gear dried out ok?

Les ;)

Lovely set No1 is a cracker Pete, hope the gear dried out ok?

Les ;)

Thanks Les:)

Think that the camera is ok now I took the battery and memory card out and removed the lens and have left it like that until I use it next week

Last edited:
So with your stacks, are you shooting from a tripod or do you still manage to stack shots even when shooting by hand?

So with your stacks, are you shooting from a tripod or do you still manage to stack shots even when shooting by hand?

Hi am using a monopod and trying to get two shot stacks

Absolutely love these Pete, the water drops make them almost magical
Well worth getting wet for (y)

[quote="Gremlin, post: 6311742, member: 5523]Absolutely love these Pete, the water drops make them almost magical
Well worth in getting wet for (y)[/quote]

Thanks Ingrid I was really pleased when I saw how they came out on the computer:)
My better half thought I was nuts to go out in rain like that

Last edited:
3rd shot is my fav from the set with the nice and green bokeh background and the sparkle of the rain drops on the wings (y) I know how you feel for the weather aswell, I got soaked today from the unexpected thunder and lighting, when out monitoring my Barn Owls luckily I got to cover before any of my gear got wet!

3rd shot is my fav from the set with the nice and green bokeh background and the sparkle of the rain drops on the wings (y) I know how you feel for the weather aswell, I got soaked today from the unexpected thunder and lighting, when out monitoring my Barn Owls luckily I got to cover before any of my gear got wet!
Thanks very much Joe much appreciated:)
My camera and lens seems to be ok I've just put the lens back on and tried the camera it's all ok
Bit of a relief, I often go out in rain but normally manage to keep the gear dry
Just had a look at your shots on Flickr very impressive esp like the Snowy egret and also the owls:)

Thanks very much Joe much appreciated:)
My camera and lens seems to be ok I've just put the lens back on and tried the camera it's all ok
Bit of a relief, I often go out in rain but normally manage to keep the gear dry
Just had a look at your shots on Flickr very impressive esp like the Snowy egret and also the owls:)

Glad to hear its all okay, your camera must have been badly exposed to the rain into the sensor! Glad it didn't effect anything (y) and thanks for the comments about my shots on flickr :D

Glad to hear its all okay, your camera must have been badly exposed to the rain into the sensor! Glad it didn't effect anything (y) and thanks for the comments about my shots on flickr :D
Thanks Joe i guess I didn't notice how wet the camera was getting, the sensor steamed up but it's all ok now certainly will be more careful in future but I do believe in getting out there whatever the weather :)

Pete, I love number 3 and 4. Staggering detail, absolutely wonderful shots.

I think you have to be brave and come out of your comfort zone with macro/close up photography.

I went to a nature reserve on Sunday for banded demoiselles and got stung badly by stinging nettles but I wanted the shots badly . I guess adrenalin kicked in lol

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

It's all been said___Just wanted to say I came I saw I liked ___Gaz

Nettles! Pah!

Keeping still while a horsefly digs its considerable incisors into your hand as an over friendly bull terrier nuzzles your unmentionables; that's commitment. :)

I'm half joking, but wet, covered in mud, bites and stings is a damn good day out doing macro. I love it. :D

Nettles! Pah!

Keeping still while a horsefly digs its considerable incisors into your hand as an over friendly bull terrier nuzzles your unmentionables; that's commitment. :)

I'm half joking, but wet, covered in mud, bites and stings is a damn good day out doing macro. I love it. :D

Haha, that definitely ups commitment to several more levels.

I had a couple of them draw blood on my thighs while with the nettles and demoiselles, those nasty bar stewards! I think they were horseflies. Felt like a needle going in my thighs. Grrrrr lol

Sent from my iPhone using Talk Photography Forums

You'll know if it was a horsefly by the size of the swelling in a couple of days time.

I've had my hand swell to twice normal size. Quite a talking point at work.

You'll know if it was a horsefly by the size of the swelling in a couple of days time.
I've had my hand swell to twice normal size. Quite a talking point at work.
Had that too, but didn't feel any bite/sting at the time

Back