Abandoned On A Beach

Most picture can be made into something arty you just need to open your mind to what you see, Art is a very broad avenue to explore and the more you play the better you get. Encouragement is the food for broadening your artistic bend not criticism unless constructive. Here is my attempt to liven up the shot. Keep at it Mr Bing and try to see the potential in all your shots ;)

2226112511_3c5eba97ae_o.jpg

Most picture can be made into something arty you just need to open your mind to what you see, Art is a very broad avenue to explore and the more you play the better you get. Encouragement is the food for broadening your artistic bend not criticism unless constructive. Here is my attempt to life the shot. Keep at it Mr Bing and try to see the potential in all your shots ;)

:clap: Good advice and cracking edit........

Yep, a good start - if you shoot it again, try playing with a very shallow DoF, and maybe lie on the ground to tart up the background a bit too.

But most of all, keep posting your shots up here. You can see from the vast weight of opinion above that folks here are friendly and encouraging, with one notable exception :(

I think that's a great process Alby.

I say "think" as I do tend to drool at the sight wonderful rust like that, so my views on this are more than a little biassed. ;) :LOL:

i love the edit its great yes indeedy ill go tomorrow if not the next time i get out of work with some daylight lol

Hey Mr Bing, I can't add any more to what has been said and what advice has been given with regards to the shot and I think I can see what you were trying to achieve. What I will say is don't let the knockers hold you back, at least you are getting out there and trying because the only way to learn is to shoot, shoot and then shoot some more.

Tigerimages, you might want to look up the word 'courtesy' in the dictionary, c&c is fine but personal attacks such as yours have no place on here.

As I posted, I just don't understand why people think that things like this make good photos. Maybe he shouldn't bother, that would help.

Maybe some people would think the same about this shot from your Flickr site but I'm sure they wouldn't be so rude about it.

:razz:

Pot, kettle and black is conjured up for me H. ;)

Most picture can be made into something arty you just need to open your mind to what you see, Art is a very broad avenue to explore and the more you play the better you get. Encouragement is the food for broadening your artistic bend not criticism unless constructive. Here is my attempt to liven up the shot. Keep at it Mr Bing and try to see the potential in all your shots ;)

excellent edit :)

if you see photography as art then its totally subjective

ill take some oil and petrol i might be able to got it started lol

Hey Mr Bing, I like pictures of old junk. Yes your original could be more exciting but it is a great subject to explore. I think there was a bit much beach in the picture so perhaps a bit of "sneaker zoom" wouldn't go amiss.

As others have said getting close with shallow DoF helps a bit and finding a really interesting point on the object is a good idea as well.

Thanks to you I just posted my first photos on this board (I think...)
Go and take more phots of that sucker, because it has potential.

B.

Bet you feel a bit more welcome now Mr Bling..oh and welcome to the forum by the way, look forward to seeing some more pics...(y)

ha ha ha yeah i do thanx lol ill try and get there tomorrow and play with what i have to work with some more

As Rod Stewart said "every picture tells a story" and that's what the photo is begging me to find out. How on earth did it end up there? Composition aside it's got my imagination going.

oh sorry div moment well there are a few ship wrecks there but i can remember that being there for as long as i can remember

what you mean vera
And there you go....

There are people here that have tried their best to defend taking photos of any old tat like you've done in the OP, Veracocha here has suggested that it invokes the story behind why this piece of junk has been left there for fifteen years and you've got to ask what he or she means :bang:

They're encouraged you to go out and do it again, and do even more which I'm sure you'll do but you won't know why you're taking pictures of random objects scattered around your locality.

I've been pilloried for questioning why people take pointless photos of pointless objects yet your reply here makes me feel I'm totally right.

Mr Bing, I am truly sorry if it seems that I'm having a go at you, honestly, I'm not. If you want to go out and take photos of unusual objects then do things that have meaning to you, don't just do it for the sake of it :(

Some members on here akka tigerimages need to cut bing some slack . Constructive critism is great but less than polite critism can push the person away from doing anything more!

what you mean vera

How did it come to be abandoned on a beach? was there a boat and is this all that's left of it? There's a story there that I am trying to fathom. I suppose art is supposed to make you think and your photo certainly has me doing that. I like it.

well i have had enough so i am not going to keep coming on here to be beasted by you so ill just leave its easier i am only a amateur photographer i am sorry i cant match up to your excellence but at least i don't go picking on other peoples shots for no reason at all

Charming!

Although I get the impression that I'll be gone before you are, not that thats my aim of course!!!!!!

yes it is that the only reason that you would be starting on me causing me problems and picking on my picture

Mr Bing, having read through the whole thread, i would listen to a majority and your own thoughts as opposed to what one or two have said, you have had an opinion from quite a few excellent photographers who have been commenting on talk photography for a long time and genuinely would like to see better images. Dont be got down by negative comments by others, if you look through the photography section, you will see that the majority of people offer constructive critism that helps you see what you didn't see when you take the shot. everyone has to start somewhere and not everyone will like everything you do. the secret is to keep going, and not judge a site by the few(unless they the mods obviously)

Guys, arent you about ready to call time on this one ... or perhaps I could do it for you!

Oh, and theres really no need for anyone to be going anywhere.

Tiger, I can actually see reason in your question as to why people take seemingly random shots of random aricles, but perhaps starting a thread of your own asking that very question instead of directing it at Bing might have been a kinder route to take.

well i wont bother uploading anymore pictures

Get back out there and take more photos and keep posting them on here Mr Bing:bat:;) With a little thought to the composition that subject will make a really good image(y) Try getting really low and see if you can include some background interest.

Don't let the negative comments of one person put you off.....there are some who have posted in this thread with advice who are really good photographers and if they think the subject will work chances are that it will!(y)

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=46771 see there being insulting again well i wont bother uploading anymore pictures

Chris...don't go just yet.

I can't find the articular thread at the moment so I'll summarise here.

The thread showed the winning image in the Shell Photography competition. I believe 8 out of the first 10 opinions posted didn't like it or thought it to be pretty poor....but it was still the winner of a big competition and is now hung in a London gallery somewhere.

That should show you that any image is appreciated by someone, somewhere. They'll be very few people here who haven't taken a shot that is worse than yours.

There's a tab in your User CP for "ignore list"...very simple to use if you want to...I have one on my ignore list...saves getting upset or annoyed.

Think hard about it first.

Bob

thanx guys i will return there i hope tomorrow i like it here a lot i love looking at what other peoples eyes catch i will return tomorrow and try and get some angles on the engine and try and find some markings on it but its very ols si i expect most have rusted away thanx guys i will take everything you have said on board

So here's Bing with his new camera and taking his first steps at trying to convey and express something more in his shots than just snaps. Haven't we all been there? How on earth has this thread got so antagonistic?

Chris - you've just taken a shot of this scrap without looking for a viewpoint - you haven't even bent your knees by the look of it, but don't worry, it's a common early mistake. ;) Look for an angle - get down lower, lie down if you need to. Consider getting in closer so you make the most of the texture and detail. Is it possible you could show this object as a foreground object in a view of the scene?

The other thing is the light is very flat and uninspiring and that usually results in a flat looking image. Some better light throwing some shadows to add interest would make all the difference. Generally speaking, the light is best in the early morning and late afternoon when the sun is low in the sky and casting long shadows which add interest and show up textures.

It doesn't look like this thing is going anywhere soon - why not try it again in better light, taking plenty of shots from different angles?

Don't be disheartened by a few negative comments, go and get that shot which I'm sure is there. ;)

Glad I read the rest of this thread after you posted you were going to leave Bing. Glad as well you've changed your mind.

The only way to learn is by your mistakes IMO. I have tons of 'useless' pics on my HD. Every so often, when I think I'm not getting anywhere fast in the learning process, I revisit those first pics and cringe that I thought they were good. I've still got loads to learn, and always will, but I take photo's for my own pleasure. Strange as it may sound, the more I delete the more I think I know about what makes a good picture. I try not to be satisfied with second best anymore, and only keep those if I know I'm not likely to be able to shoot them again.

I guess by now you know where to go with your 'abandoned' pic. Just don't forget PPing can do wonders for a mediocre subject. The couple of edits have proved that admirably.

Practice, experiment and show us how your skills are developing.

theres really no need for anyone to be going anywhere.

Tiger, I can actually see reason in your question as to why people take seemingly random shots of random aricles, but perhaps starting a thread of your own asking that very question instead of directing it at Bing might have been a kinder route to take.

I agree. When i first read your comments Tiger, i was furious. Its hard to hear negative comments on your first few posts - beleive me! As long as they are constructive though, we don't mind. When it feels like a personal attack, its not really fair. Having heard your explanantion, i can sorta see your point now, but to be fair Bing had obviously put some thought and effort into the shot, whether it worked or not. I doubt he would have posted it, had he not cared about how to improve. That surely is a good thing? lets draw a line under this post, Bing - keep taking photos, and tiger, try to be more diplomatic!

I'm only new myself, i don't want to speak out of line

:)
Wendy

well, I just love a good "debate".

Well photography aside, my Grandad used to work for an engine manufacturer in manchester, and im sure he'd be interested in the object, if indeed it is a boat engine, what manufacturer, model, what boat did it come from?

Alright, the picture itself, as an absolute amateur I can see faults with the way its presented, but thats all.

Back