Abusive text messages...

Edit My Images
No
When someone's sending you abusive text messages is it possible to find out where they're from, who they are without contacting the service provider or police? I know it's possible to contact the service provider and block that number from contacting you but is there any way of tracing?

Have you tried simply googling the number? Eejits like that tend not to be the brightest people on the planet, it'll probably show up on a Facebook/Bebo page :LOL:

The service provider will only ever give information about the numbers owner to the police, and from personal experience with someone who has suffered the same sort of abuse the police will only get involved if there is what they consider to be a serious threat to life.

you might find it's being sent via a web based txt service, in which case you'll have to resort to your service provider for assistance.

If they are coming from another mobile phone dial the number from a phone whose number they will not know and see if you can recognise the voice.

You could also try phoning with some sort of story made up to ask their identity.

Have you tried simply googling the number? Eejits like that tend not to be the brightest people on the planet, it'll probably show up on a Facebook/Bebo page :LOL:
That's a great idea, didn't think of it... as soon as I get hold of the number i'm gonna check that out.

The service provider will only ever give information about the numbers owner to the police, and from personal experience with someone who has suffered the same sort of abuse the police will only get involved if there is what they consider to be a serious threat to life.
Well how about if it said.

'U useless fat b*st*rd, no good 4 nothin no family no money no friends, we all laugh at u koz ** a joker and u r dyin in ill health only a matter of time u **** head, read dis text and fade away in shame. ** shameless bye bye joker x'
http://www.mobilenumbers.org/

Only works for the UK I think.... but something like it maybe exists where you are.
Oh wow cool, i'm in the UK.
you might find it's being sent via a web based txt service, in which case you'll have to resort to your service provider for assistance.
It was sent from a mobile, we called back and a woman answered with a northern accent nd hung up.
If they are coming from another mobile phone dial the number from a phone whose number they will not know and see if you can recognise the voice.

You could also try phoning with some sort of story made up to ask their identity.

Tried that, it didn't work, it was a woman though.

xSitara™;1572643 said:
That's a great idea, didn't think of it... as soon as I get hold of the number i'm gonna check that out.

Well how about if it said.

'U useless fat b*st*rd, no good 4 nothin no family no money no friends, we all laugh at u koz ** a joker and u r dyin in ill health only a matter of time u **** head, read dis text and fade away in shame. ** shameless bye bye joker x'

Hallmark testing out new greetings cards? :LOL:

Flash, this isn't funny I feel really distraught, the person receiving these texts is really dear to me and very ill :(

Clearly done something to warrant the messages?

Either way you should report it to the police. The phone can then be booked in as evidence and can thn be examined to prove the text messages and the police can then go ahead and do what they need to do.

Clearly done something to warrant the messages?

Either way you should report it to the police. The phone can then be booked in as evidence and can thn be examined to prove the text messages and the police can then go ahead and do what they need to do.

A 53 year old man? NO he hasn't he's bloody harmless.

So if people recieve abusive text messages it means they've done something to get some psycho swear down the phone to them. Right ok then!

Last edited:
a) could be a scam to get you to call back at some premium rate
b) could be a wrong number
c) are you getting many or just the one?
d) don't let the *******s get to you

a) could be a scam to get you to call back at some premium rate
b) could be a wrong number
c) are you getting many or just the one?
d) don't let the *******s get to you
Luckily, it's not me and i've never been in that situation but now i'm thinking I wish it was me rather than a heart patient who doesn't even see anyone much. I'm hoping it was a wrong text but it all adds up because he's ill and she mentioned that in the text. It was just the one text.

Last edited:
Well I am sure you can understand that everything happens for a reason.

But on a serious note make sure that the messages are not deleted. Phone the police and get them to read the messages and take the phone in as evidence. Dont turn it off. Leave it connected to the network for as long as possible in order to get as much incriminating evidence as possible.

Yeah, I have a very rough feeling who it might be doug, I think someone else is getting a teenager to send these sort of text messages and I have a feeling who it might be and if it's him it's only because of jealousy. Many people do this simply because they're jealous.

Wont be deleting the text messages at all, i've advised him to ignore it for now and just keep the message and number.

Trust me if its bothering you then go to the police. You pay your council tax for this.

Go straight to the police. If the gentleman who's recieving the messages is ill, and has a heart condition then that's more for the police to worry about. They may not do much, but you won't know until you call them.

think that the police is an idea. of you have the number that its being sent form. send one back telling them that this is the action you are going to take.

might me enough to stop them in there tracks ?

The longer you leave this the less the police are going to be able to do. If the messages are threatening, then get in touch with the police.

Reading on, I'd be down the police station mate.

I've done it before. I knew who was ending them, and they were threatening to "pay my wife + kids a visit" when I went to work.

I asked the police to record it, and have a word in his ear, but not press charges yet - just get it on record. Next txt I got was a full apology and a promise never to contact me again.

Haven't heard from them again since. And I'd done nothing wrong in the first place either, they were just of a different social group to me.

Either call the police if they're that abusive or get a new sim card for the phone and have him consider who receives the number if the texts aren't serious in the law's eyes.

This whole 'he obciously did something to deserve it' is a crock of crap. I know people who have had there cars totaled by certain fluids thrown on them or them being run over by low life dicks with nothing better to do. They didnt do anything to upset anyone, there are just some small minded people about.

Oh and I wouldnt worry to much. If there doing it by text then obviously havnt got the balls to do anything to your face ;) If they were going to hurt you physically then they would be in your face etc, not by the phone. It is more than likely some sad chav who got this poor fellas number :(

Anyway I am talking on so off to bed I go LOL

This whole 'he obciously did something to deserve it' is a crock of crap. I know people who have had there cars totaled by certain fluids thrown on them or them being run over by low life dicks with nothing better to do. They didnt do anything to upset anyone, there are just some small minded people about.

Oh and I wouldnt worry to much. If there doing it by text then obviously havnt got the balls to do anything to your face ;) If they were going to hurt you physically then they would be in your face etc, not by the phone. It is more than likely some sad chav who got this poor fellas number :(

Anyway I am talking on so off to bed I go LOL

This is true, one time my mums Land Cruiser Amazon was thieved and then crashed up and written off, the police said 'it wasn't personal' so clearly it wasn't something my parents had done. Then my dads jaguar has acid thrown over it by some knobs just beause they thought it was fun :|

You're so right, it's like a text message a little kid would send anyway, it's not me who got the text but someone else, I just really have alot of respect for older people and I don't understand how someone could do something so degrading.

Definitely report it. Even if it just means that the incident is on record in case anything further happens. Unfortunately, there are some very sad and pathetic people in the world. By not reporting it you are, in a way, letting them get away with it. Your friend obviously doesn't need to be distressed by something like this.

Good luck getting it sorted.

If the texts are coming from a Pay As You Go it's unlikely the phone owner will be registered. You can buy these phones in supermarkets etc. - no name, no pack drill.

If the texts are coming from a Pay As You Go it's unlikely the phone owner will be registered. You can buy these phones in supermarkets etc. - no name, no pack drill.

Burn phones are a problem, but at the very least the poilce can have the phone disconnected by the operator for breach of terms.

When someone's sending you abusive text messages is it possible to find out where they're from, who they are without contacting the service provider or police? I know it's possible to contact the service provider and block that number from contacting you but is there any way of tracing?

There is no legal way of tracing the origination of the message unfortunately. However the police, and the respective networks can do a lot to help with this sort of thing.

Sending abusive texts is in breach of most mobile phone company T&C's.

I believe that this is now classed as a police matter - although things may have changed. I.e. It's down to the police to determine whether or not the text messages are "abusive". They would then contact the service provider and deal with the matter accordingly. It might still be worth checking with your network to see if they have a nusiance calls bureaux/policy. Some networks may be able to pass on your complaint.

As others have said:
- Keep a record of the texts on the phone. Network records don't stay on the SMS service centre's forever, so don't presume the network will have a copy.
- Don't reply to them. In all honesty, it only serves to exacerbate the issue. Ignoring this type of behaviour often rectifies it. (I say often, but this is by no means true for every case)
- Go to the police, or try the relevant network's Customer Care, asking to be referred to a nuisance calls team.

Hope this helps, but there is a lot of good advice in this thread.

-H

Please don't insult me by saying my posts are a crock of crap.

Random vandalism is one thing. But you don't just randomly guess a phone number and text it with what appears to be very well tailored abuse.

Its obviously someone who knows the victim and has got the number, therefore something will have happened to cause the messages to be sent.

Its obviously someone who knows the victim and has got the number, therefore something will have happened to cause the messages to be sent.

its not exactly what i call obvious.
i dont see why you think that if someone is getting abusive messages then they must have done something to deserve it... maybe they did, maybe they didnt, but its hardly a certainty.

I am not for a minute saying that the victim deserves all this because no one does! I am just saying that its not a completely random act so there will be a link somewhere.

And having my posts labelled as 'A crock of ****' from someone who has no knowledge of this type of event is fairly annoying

I am not for a minute saying that the victim deserves all this because no one does! I am just saying that its not a completely random act so there will be a link somewhere.

And having my posts labelled as 'A crock of ****' from someone who has no knowledge of this type of event is fairly annoying

judging by the content of the message i think getting a wrong number is well within their limit of IQ

Publish the offending number on here and we can bombard them with calls and messages.

we can bombard them with calls and messages.

Mortars not good enough? :shrug:

People who send crank/offensive/threatening messages really **** me off. It's a cowardly and immature way of handling problems. Maybe their parents didn't hug them enough :shrug:

If I may,

last week my sister was receiving messages from an unknown number, and she became so concerned that she asked mum to contact the police.

anyway, the officer showed up a couple of days later, and after reading the messages, told us all that there was nothing he could do as a crime had not been committed, and the only way he could get a trace on the number was if there had been, he said that he would have to wait until "something happened".
during the same conversation it was mentioned that somebody on facebook had threatened, "ill kill your dad and brother, sister, and then ill rape your mother". according to the police officer, even less could be done about this, and that if you call to report something like this, it won't even be investigated.

How awesome.

good luck to the fella whose getting the texts.

Back