Critique Adhoc visit to local Deer Farm

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,
I have been practising for some while with my Sigma 150-600 (and changed camera with more bells & whistles), since I last asked for critique and think its time for more advice, thanks in advance !
deer1.jpg

Are you looking for critique on this specific image or in general or both?

On this image firstly, but any advice is always useful when learning !

On this specific image there are too many deer too close to each other. It’s a bit hard to explain but the way the bodies intermix confuses the eye of the viewer. Good clear background, decent light.

Steve bang your techs up please for the lads'n' lasses and the gear used.It helps with crit to know these details. It will also help the more technically gifted advise you , say for example you might have more ISO headroom, to use more SS in the particular body you are using. in a particular also tell them if it was hand held, HH or on a tripod

buddy I think the image is cool it's incredibly difficult framing groups of deer fairly tight, well mate put it this way I find it hard. The above is great for that . EXP looks good, i'm a little unsure on critical sharpness Steve it looks just off to me but as before I am unsure,( I'd be more sure at 100%, the others might correct me here. That might be something that can be addressed in post , Steve sharps and wildlife image making drive me a bit nutty at times :D This genre almost dictates one makes a sharp image, on the principal subjects' eye obviously there are exceptions creative blurs etc. It's worth noting for a newer guy that we obsess about it and personally I don't always know if that's a good thing. That said it is how it is, the bar is sort of set by the incredible standards some folks achieve. Buddy i'm sort of trying to make you aware that some of us struggle me included with that appraisal of sharpness, it's why i'm being vague on the above frame. Buddy long ago I posted an image on two fora : one one forum a was told what a lovely sharp image it was on the other to bin it as sadly it wasn't sharp. I found it tough getting my head around this as a newer guy hence me wafling a bit for you it might help who knows:),

Steve nice image well seen lovely framing keep pushing keep practicing doing great mate !!

TFS

stu

Stuart thanks for your reply - Here we go - Nikon D600 with Sigma 150-600
This picture - HH @600 spot focus, shutter priority 1/1000, f6.3, ISO800 -0.3 spot metering
Please note this was taken near our local Deer farm by standing in a hedge for 20 minutes as they are very skittish and I have nasty nettle rash as a bonus !

When it comes to sharpness I have a real problem, I wear glasses and have severe astigmatism in both eyes, so I have to locate subject before removing glasses to use camera and although I can adjust eyepiece for strength it does nothing for astigmatism so its always a bit hit and miss and even when PP I am not sure if I am getting it right.

I haven't your problems Steve but ware glasses( god they are a pain with photography) my long sight is not great, You have my sympathies , It's finding a way to workaround these trials Steve, there is always a way it's just tricky at times, . I guess the only help I can give is take you time evaluating an image blow it up big, walk away for a while come back , with" fresh eyes " as it were. go so far completely walk away. don't look at those images for a few days. Fresh eye's even with problems, often mean we evaluate with a little more clarity.. Steve I sort of have to work the other way around I shoot with glasses on but have to remove to check images histogramme etc.. Shooting with glasses on I have terrible problems with condensation early morns, I guess one just tries to live with these things and as Ii say try to workaround them as best one can

Lol nettles awful are they not , nettle proof clothing is utterly essential to me Steve. I tend to shoot scatty things like roe or hares so I ware the full camo rig gloves facemask the lot and also tend to be low, so yes good gear is essential to me the thought of crawling through nettles doesn't worry me at all. I'm possibly a bit of an odd ball Steve, but the importance of good cloths for wildlife can not be overemphasized. Steve if we are comfortable we keep still, if not we fidgit and that is what wildlife sees...... movement!!

All the best mate

Back