Adobe CC and lightroom 5 back on offer £8.78 pm

Remembering you need win7 or 8 for this to run on your PC AND 64Bit OS on Mac

Will not run on Vista and earlier

S

More in vain attempts at making photographers take up the subscription method to prove it isn't the abject failure it actually is.

They'll stick with it though, I think.

"For a limited time..." until the next limited time offer at lesser rates.

I hate the subscription model they have, it's totally unfair. I appreciate you get all the updates and that if you were purchasing upgrades all the time it may be cheaper but here is the thing. You use LR to manage all your catalogs, all that metadata with your retouching is stored there, very nice, and you can go back search, edit old pics, re-edit them etc. You then also have all your advanced editing in PS with your layers etc.

Then in 10 years time you decide there is a better software, or simply you don't do it as often so you can't afford your monthly subscription. But if you cancel it you cannot access all the CS files you nicely kept, or your catalogs where everything else, you'd need to go through your many pictures and flatten everything. You're basically trapped. At least if you buy the software and you either stop using it so often or start using something else you can still access your files with the old versions that are still compatible with all those catalogs and files.

You've been captured for life.

Yes. Sorry that's my understanding too. I was responding to carlosb but I misread what he was saying. I thought he had meant the files where stored in the cloud which I know obviously aren't

That's right, everything is local, is your ability to open them that's compromised.

That's right, everything is local, is your ability to open them that's compromised.
Well you would have no problem opening your image files, its just the catalogue that would be unavailable but if you were moving to another program you would probably have to re-edit anyway and all the IPTC stuff should transfer.

Steve

More in vain attempts at making photographers take up the subscription method to prove it isn't the abject failure it actually is.

They'll stick with it though, I think.

"For a limited time..." until the next limited time offer at lesser rates.
:agree:

Well you would have no problem opening your image files, its just the catalogue that would be unavailable but if you were moving to another program you would probably have to re-edit anyway and all the IPTC stuff should transfer.

Steve
I'd say the catalogue is pretty important, one big sell reason for LR is the catalogue organisation... And you would go back to the original raw files, not anything you edited.

I don't think you can lose anything by going for the subscription. All RAW files remain yours. They are not in cloud or anything like that. Normally, people publish/export/use/sell final images in TIFF or JPEG format or print them once processed and nobody can steal you these.

All you can potentially lost when you stop the subscription is the access to the editing and organisational software. But all original RAWs and processed images are yours.

If Adobe increases the price or if I wanted to cancel the subscription, it is very easy. I can return to my previous non-Adobe workflow or buy a perpetual Lightroom license and use it with any other (cheaper) editor anytime. Just export to TIFF before you cancel. I switched between workflow programs in the past and I now it can be done.

As an amateur photographer, I couldn't justify spending £600 or so for a Photoshop CS license before this deal. I had to look for alternatives, PS elements, look for older software on eBay. Now for £8.78/month for ever up-todate version Lightroom and Photoshop it is a damn good deal.

I don't understand what are people complaining about.

Last edited:
I have this subscription product. All my stuff is on the local disk.

As an amateur photographer, I couldn't justify spending £600 or so for a Photoshop CS license before this deal. I had to look for alternatives, PS elements, look for older software on eBay. Now for £8.78/month for ever up-todate version Lightroom and Photoshop it is a damn good deal.

I don't understand what are people complaining about.
Yeah, me too.

Steve
Wouldn't you just import the RAW file and associated XMP sidecar files?

Tonight, I might have a look and see what LR5 operations aren't captured by XMP files. Would be good to know.

I'd say the catalogue is pretty important, one big sell reason for LR is the catalogue organisation...
There is better software than lightroom for DAM I use lightroom for it's editing abilities, that and the fact it comes bundled with PS with creative cloud
And you would go back to the original raw files, not anything you edited.
Which is why I said you would need to re-edit :)

Steve

You may be able to read it but will you get the same rendering? And you won't have the full catalog either as it was. The point is now you buy the software and you can use it as is forever (or until it's not compatible with any OS). With a subscription model that software stops working the day you stop paying, you can't skip a version to reduce your overall cost either like many people do.

You may be able to read it but will you get the same rendering? And you won't have the full catalog either as it was.
I'm not sure why are you asking me. I was just pointing out that XMP is not an Adobe-specific thing - in fact it's an ISO standard. The catalogue is a Lightroom-specific thing, although you can write all the metadata into the XMP files.
The point is now you buy the software and you can use it as is forever (or until it's not compatible with any OS). With a subscription model that software stops working the day you stop paying, you can't skip a version to reduce your overall cost either like many people do.
So buy a version that is like that. Adobe is under no compunction to give you software the way you want it; either their subscription business model will fail, or it will be a success.

So far, the latter appears to be the case.

Personally, given that it will be nearly 90 months (7.5 years!) before I've spent the £760-odd that Photoshop CS6 and LR5 would cost, and that I will receive all upgrade versions in the meantime, I think it's a stonking, stonking deal.

I'm not sure why are you asking me. I was just pointing out that XMP is not an Adobe-specific thing - in fact it's an ISO standard. The catalogue is a Lightroom-specific thing, although you can write all the metadata into the XMP files.

So buy a version that is like that. Adobe is under no compunction to give you software the way you want it; either their subscription business model will fail, or it will be a success.

So far, the latter appears to be the case.

Personally, given that it will be nearly 90 months (7.5 years!) before I've spent the £760-odd that Photoshop CS6 and LR5 would cost, and that I will receive all upgrade versions in the meantime, I think it's a stonking, stonking deal.

But that goes on the assumption that the price stays the same. There is nothing to prevent them from finishing their current (promotional) pricing and doubling it. All you psd files are no longer accessible.

Also, you're looking at full out price of Adobe, many will have spent a large amount years ago, and only pay the hundred or so upgrade to the next revision, so it depends if you had already made a sizeable investment.

So in short, its a great deal for those who are just starting to use photoshop, not so much for those who have already invested in it. It is also the sense that you are only 'leasing' access to your own creations in their layered format.

But that goes on the assumption that the price stays the same. There is nothing to prevent them from finishing their current (promotional) pricing and doubling it. All you psd files are no longer accessible.

Also, you're looking at full out price of Adobe, many will have spent a large amount years ago, and only pay the hundred or so upgrade to the next revision, so it depends if you had already made a sizeable investment.

So in short, its a great deal for those who are just starting to use photoshop, not so much for those who have already invested in it. It is also the sense that you are only 'leasing' access to your own creations in their layered format.
This would all seem to be fairly obvious.

Mind you, I couldn't give a crap about "lock-in" because I don't store anything in PSD format - it's all TIFF, CR2 and XMP for me, with the odd DNG file floating around.

There is nothing to prevent them from finishing their current (promotional) pricing and doubling it. All you psd files are no longer accessible.

There is nothing they can do to force you to continue in the subscription and do not look for alternatives. Even if you cancel all your files remain accessible. There is a grace period for getting all your files from the cloud even after you cancel (if you use the cloud - you don't have to).

I don't know what your workflow is, but I shoot RAW, keep originals then do post-processing. That all results to an output product (typically a jpeg file for web or tiff file for printing). I store the original RAW and the final product. PSD is an intermediate product for me. I see no reason for archiving it. So even if I stopped using Adobe altogether I won't be impacted. I would just needed to learn a new tool.

If worst comes to worst you can open PSD files in Gimp which "I think" is fully compatible with the layers etc.

+1, so pleased with CC.
Me too, for the first time as a photographer I can afford to use PS and at less than £9 a month to boot :). Just wish they offered an even cheaper option without LR

Steve

If there is a single thing I am not happy about this deal it would be the fact that we have to pay more than others.

In US they charge $9.99 for the same thing. That is £6.06. OK, there is VAT. It's been a time since I last checked but I don't think there is a 44% VAT rate in the UK.

Does anyone know if you can switch from PC to Mac halfway through?

For example I would have to buy this deal before the 29th and use it on my PC for a few months but I will be getting a MacBook Pro in the not too distant future and would want to switch it to that.

For example I would have to buy this deal before the 29th and use it on my PC for a few months but I will be getting a MacBook Pro in the not too distant future and would want to switch it to that.

Contact the Adobe customer service centre

I found them very useful.

Steve

If there is a single thing I am not happy about this deal it would be the fact that we have to pay more than others.

In US they charge $9.99 for the same thing. That is £6.06. OK, there is VAT. It's been a time since I last checked but I don't think there is a 44% VAT rate in the UK.

Exchange rates fluctuate. Would you want you monthly fee to change every month?

US customers are charged $9.99 plus the sales tax applicable to their state.

That's always been the way with Adobe though, different taxes aside they charge what the market will bear.

Exchange rates fluctuate. Would you want you monthly fee to change every month?

Yes. If that would be possible I would love to pay $9.99 and eat any GBP/USD fluctuations rather than be always paying 44% more. The exchange rate doesn't fluctuate that much.

I think for digitally distributed software these regional cost differences apart from different tax/VAT can not be justified.

Last edited:

Taken from Adobe site
" You may install software on up to two computers. These two computers can be Windows, Mac OS, or one each.

If you install on a third computer, it will request you to de-activate on the other two computers. You can then reactivate one of the previous two computers, and use Creative Cloud apps on it."

Yes. If that would be possible I would love to pay $9.99 and eat any GBP/USD fluctuations rather than be always paying 44% more. The exchange rate doesn't fluctuate that much.

I think for digitally distributed software these regional cost differences apart from different tax/VAT can not be justified.

To be fair, £6.06 + VAT is £7.27 so it's only a 20% difference. Also, your 44% was comparing the £6.06 to $9.99 rather than £8.78

Last edited:
Yes. My calculation was without VAT. In fact many online businesses are US companies, they don't have any VAT numbers and therefore they don't charge any taxes for online purchases.

But still even with VAT included we pay more than 20% more for the same thing.

Taken from Adobe site
" You may install software on up to two computers. These two computers can be Windows, Mac OS, or one each.

If you install on a third computer, it will request you to de-activate on the other two computers. You can then reactivate one of the previous two computers, and use Creative Cloud apps on it."
Many thanks!

So I could put a copy in my fathers mac too ;)

Back