Advice for a horse photography

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all after a bit of advice, I have been given the chance to photograph a forthcoming march.
The idea of the march is to highlight awareness of horses on the road to drivers; this is after a young driver mowed down a horse and rider while speeding through a village, and ended up killing the horse and seriously injuring the rider (my sister in law). There has been a petition signed and they have been given permission form the police and local council.
Here is the problem, they are trying to raise some fund to get a bridle path re-opened, the idea it to sell / take orders for photos. They are also planning to do horse and rider portraits at the end of the march. I have spoken to Jessops in advance and explained what we are planning and they have offered a 50% discount on the photos we have printed.
I am happy to do photos as it for free, so I am not charging, but I was a tad worried if my kit is up to the job as there is a good chance the local paper and a well-known horse mag might also require some photos.

The kit I have is Canon 550d, 18 x 55 kit lens, 17 x 85, 50mm and 55 x 200.

Thank you in advance.

Darren (y)

Last edited:
to get a bridal path re-opened, the idea it to sell / take orders for photos.

Oh god not another wedding thread :LOL:

sorry - i just find that typo very amusing - a rights of way officer i know once ordered over 50 finger signs with that particular typo on (its bridle of course)

on your question i'm not an expert in the sort of work but i'd say your kit is capable - you might want to hire/borrow a slightly longer wide apperture lens like a 90mm f2.8 or 85mm f1.8

also have you got a flash gun and diffuser - or reflectors to allow for more even light if the natural light is directional

big soft moose said:
Oh god not another wedding thread :LOL:

sorry - i just find that typo very amusing - a rights of way officer i know once ordered over 50 finger signs with that particular typo on (its bridle of course)

on your question i'm not an expert in the sort of work but i'd say your kit is capable - you might want to hire/borrow a slightly longer wide apperture lens like a 90mm f2.8 or 85mm f1.8

also have you got a flash gun and diffuser - or reflectors to allow for more even light if the natural light is directional

Apologise for the spelling mistake.
Thank you for pointing out my error, hate the iPhone for that, oh well.

I wouldn't use a flash as this tends to spook a horse, but my flash does have a built in deffuser. I was more worried about my kit more than anything.

Cheers for the reply moose.

Darren

Last edited:
The combination of 17-85 + 550 should be fine. Forget anything above 70mm (unless you're planning detail shots) as it'll be too tight, especially in a crowded environment such as a post march meet - you'll have to stand off too far.

Take a set of step ladders, preferably 3 rung, then take portraits from the horse's eye level and the rider's. Those are shots that aren't usually taken, and as such they should sell well.

but I was a tad worried if my kit is up to the job as there is a good chance the local paper and a well-known horse mag might also require some photos.

Kit will be fine.

TBH most of the stuff in my local paper looks like it was shot on a phone.

The combination of 17-85 + 550 should be fine. Forget anything above 70mm (unless you're planning detail shots) as it'll be too tight, especially in a crowded environment such as a post march meet - you'll have to stand off too far.

Take a set of step ladders, preferably 3 rung, then take portraits from the horse's eye level and the rider's. Those are shots that aren't usually taken, and as such they should sell well.

Kit will be fine.

TBH most of the stuff in my local paper looks like it was shot on a phone.

Cheers for the feedback guys, feel much better now. TBH 17 x 85 never comers off the camera

Great idea with the step ladder Demi, thats on my list now.

Darren

Last edited:
Subscribed to this as I've also been asked to photograph my partners friends horses in theirs stables and grounds,

Matt

Subscribed to this as I've also been asked to photograph my partners friends horses in theirs stables and grounds,

Matt

There's another thread in the talk photography section from the last day or so that's asking about horses too, I've popped some info in there :)

Hither - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=407861

Cheers Guys

Thanks for the link Neil.
Had a look at your site Neil, some cracking horse shots...

Last edited:
Back