Advice for safari - filters?

Name
Dom
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I’m going to be going to Kenya in July for a wedding, and will be going on safari whilst we’re out there. I’ve been once before, but didn’t really have a good camera setup so didn’t take it too seriously, this time I’d like to put a bit more effort in.

I have (or will have) a R100 (hopefully an R50 by then) and the 18-150 and 100-400 lens. I’ll be getting circular polarisers for the lenses, probably a beanbag or monopod for any longer exposures. I was wondering about other filters. I have a good set of Lee ND grads. 0.3, 0.6 and 0.9 in the soft and hard line varieties (if that’s what you call them) is it worth taking those? I’m just thinking of the stereotypical shot of animals with a bright sky. I’m guessing they’re difficult to expose with such different light levels? Or is it best to not blow the sky and adjust with PP?

Any other advice is very much appreciated. I used to do a bit of photography 10 years ago, but I’ve forgotten so much!! Probably more than I ever knew!

Not worth taking them. I haven't used mine in years, these days it is much easier to bracket the exposure and merge in Lightroom. Or even easier to just use the grad tool in Lightroom.

The sky is not as bright as people think in comparison to the scenery, unless it is a bit cloudy.
However, the animals, being brighter than the tourists, are likely to be in the shade :) I don't think ND filters would help.

Expose for the subject you want, you might well be cropping what you don't want anyway.

If you have an animal under a bush, and the sun is on the bush, it will be overexposed anyway if you expose for the animal.

Not worth taking them. I haven't used mine in years, these days it is much easier to bracket the exposure and merge in Lightroom. Or even easier to just use the grad tool in Lightroom.
By bracket the exposure, do you mean taking multiple shots, under exposed, over exposed and correct exposure? How would that work if the subject is moving?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, like I said, it’s been a while!

The sky is not as bright as people think in comparison to the scenery, unless it is a bit cloudy.
However, the animals, being brighter than the tourists, are likely to be in the shade :) I don't think ND filters would help.

Expose for the subject you want, you might well be cropping what you don't want anyway.

If you have an animal under a bush, and the sun is on the bush, it will be overexposed anyway if you expose for the animal.
Ok, thanks for the advice. Just circular polarisers then?

Ok, thanks for the advice. Just circular polarisers then?
And skylight, depending on film, the overall light is very blue and harsh, especially 2-3 hours either side of mid day.

Search and see if Pangolin tours have any advice on their website or youtube, they are a bit further south, but much the same environment, and they are photographers as well as tour operators, probably the best :)

By bracket the exposure, do you mean taking multiple shots, under exposed, over exposed and correct exposure? How would that work if the subject is moving?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, like I said, it’s been a while!
Yes, although you have a point regarding moving animals - not that they stand still long enough for you to mess about with filters.

A single shot and grad in editing is likely the easiest bet.

Back