Advice needed for butterfly house!

Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys im off to a butterfly house in St Albans and was just after some advice on which lens to use and how to stop them steaming up? I haven't got a great choice of glass - 70-200 f4, 50mm 1.8, 28-135, and the typical kit 18-55 is.
Also if you have any shooting advice then that would be great as i don't want to blow my opportunity when i get there and feel as though i would like to be more mentally prepared.

Morning bump for you early risers

Male sure your lens is acclimatised. At this time of year it's not an issue but it is humid in there so watch out for the front element fogging up when cold.

I would use the 70-200 aswell at f4 and alter the iso accordingly to atain fast enough shutter speeds. I found that they were more active earlier in tbe morning that later in the day aswell which could prove vital for the shots you want. But maybe that was a one off.

Most of all, watch out for other visitors barging you out the way as you're taking the shot. Not sure what the MFD of your lens is but my 70-300 is 4.5ft so put me right in the middle of the path in the way of other people so I had to rush the shots so I wasn't holding them up.

HTH's.
David.

Just a couple of points to pick up on Rob, 1st this is in "Wild & Free" :rolleyes: 2nd their are still some wild ones out and about if it's butterflies you're after.
Places like you are going can be great if you are on your own but as above once a few people turn up you might just find it very frustrating, maybe speak to the staff about quite times to visit.

Back