Advice needed for printer.

Name
Shane
Edit My Images
No
Hi,
I'm looking at buying a printer, don't really want to spend more than £70.
I am tempted for the Canon IP4300 as the print resolution is the highest for its price range. (does this even matter?)

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Hi,
resolution is important.. what is it for this printer? but equally so is the type of paper you use in your printer - it sometimes makes all the difference. I'm sure someone else on here will be able to advise you about that.

it will be for printing photographs up to A4. Everything from Macro to Landscapes.

i use a epson R360 , does up to A4 size , does good quality prints and replacement inks arent too expensive can be got for £70.

I think I can only say... that you WILL need to use the original cartridges and good paper to get a top quality print... the compatibles are ok ... but often the colour doesnt quite match how it should etc.

Canon IP4300 will print upto A4. Prefer print quality on canon than epson, cartridges are more expensive for canon but last longer. Reds on epson with cheap compatables can be rather dull & faded. bought couple of different ones for Canon & u dont really notice difference in quality. Build quality on canon is better.

I agree. I have owned (and fixed) many different printers over the years, all of which have been either Epsons, HPs or IBM/Dell/Lexmarks. Oh and a Citizen (Which was quite nice) and an Alphacom and an MPS801. I can't recall ever having a Canon for repair.

I recently bought a Canon Pixma iP6700D for photo prints and I am very happy with the results. Just over £100 and worth every penny.

thanks for all your replies :)

I'll do a comparison between the IP4300 and iP6700D, see if i can justify the extra pennies :D

Ive got an IP4300. Great printer.
Print output is superb on Ilford paper, using Canon inks and the Ilford profile for the IP5200
Very frugal on ink as well.
Must have done about 35 A4 pages, loads of CD's and countless 6x4 and 7x5's before i had to buy a new colour cart.

It's looking more like the 4300 is for me.

The IP6700D seems to be discontinued at alot of places i'm looking and i couldn't really see what i would be getting (apart from the lcd screen) for nearly twice the price.

Thats quite reassuring to know zoidberg, cartridges seem to be about £35 to replace.

The differences as far as I can see are:-

iP6700d-------------------iP4300
Same resolution at 9600 x 2400
6 ink----------------------5 ink
10x15 takes 47 secs-------10x15 takes 36 secs
Mono 18ppm---------------Mono 30ppm (Max)
Text/Gfx 17ppm------------Text/Gfx 24ppm (Max)
Card Reader Yes-----------Card Reader No
LCD Screen Yes------------LCD Screen No

So apart from the LCD screen (which I never use), the Card Reader (Rarely Use), Optional Bluetooth (Don't Have) you appear to be getting a faster printer that uses similar inks.

The 6700d uses the same cartridges (CLI-8) but has two photo cartridges, Black and the 3 colours. The 4300 has two blacks and the 3 colours.

Sounds good enough to me.

The differences as far as I can see are:-

iP6700d-------------------iP4300
Same resolution at 9600 x 2400
6 ink----------------------5 ink
10x15 takes 47 secs-------10x15 takes 36 secs
Mono 18ppm---------------Mono 30ppm (Max)
Text/Gfx 17ppm------------Text/Gfx 24ppm (Max)
Card Reader Yes-----------Card Reader No
LCD Screen Yes------------LCD Screen No

So apart from the LCD screen (which I never use), the Card Reader (Rarely Use), Optional Bluetooth (Don't Have) you appear to be getting a faster printer that uses similar inks.

The 6700d uses the same cartridges (CLI-8) but has two photo cartridges, Black and the 3 colours. The 4300 has two blacks and the 3 colours.

Sounds good enough to me.

Thanks Pooks, I'm just about sold on the IP4300 :D

I've had an ip5200 (predecessor of the ip5300, but essentially the same) for two years and love it. No problems and superb photos with Canon paper and inks (Valeshop by far the best prices). If you can find an ip5200, go for that for the extra inks. Otherwise, you won't be disappointed.

I have the Canon 4300 and I have been really pleased with it.
I bought it when PC world had them on special at just under £50 and was a real bargain for the print quality.

I also have the 4300 and am very pleased with it. I needed a printer that would give me good photo prints but also had the ability to work as a day to day printer and the 4300 fits the bill.

The pictures I've printed to date have exceeded my expectations of this printer.

As I had a £50 Jessops voucher I got it for £25 approx:)

I bought the 4300 the other day after a recommendation from a friend who has the 4200.

We were both die hard Epson fans but got sick of the horrible clunking after only a little bit of use, and also the heads clogging up at the slightest thought.

He's had the 4200 for 18 months, and has never had clogged heads, is only on his second set of carts, and its still whisper quiet. At £59 from Argos, it was good enough for me...so I bought one! (y)

I bought the 4300 the other day after a recommendation from a friend who has the 4200.

We were both die hard Epson fans but got sick of the horrible clunking after only a little bit of use, and also the heads clogging up at the slightest thought.

He's had the 4200 for 18 months, and has never had clogged heads, is only on his second set of carts, and its still whisper quiet. At £59 from Argos, it was good enough for me...so I bought one! (y)

Only just seen this thread. Been pondering a dedicated photoprinter for a while. Whats the quality of the printer like? What would be the recomended paper to print to? And what would we say is the avaerage life for a set of cartridges?

Cheers

See my post above, re ip5200. Best to use Canon paper and inks - not worth the waste of trying any others, IMO.

I use the Canon paper and Inks too. The Canon website did have a facility where you could upload a picture which they would print on the machine your interested in and send it to you. Might be worth doing!

and then if you buy a printer you get vouchers for paper!

See my post above, re ip5200. Best to use Canon paper and inks - not worth the waste of trying any others, IMO.

I use Canon inks but Ilford paper and profiles. Gives cracking prints.
The 4300 isnt listed on ilfords website, but the profiles for the 5200 work fine.

I use Canon inks but Ilford paper and profiles. Gives cracking prints.
The 4300 isnt listed on ilfords website, but the profiles for the 5200 work fine.

Just had a look at these, thanks for the info. The 4300 is now listed so you can get the right profiles. :clap:

On the advice of this thread I've ordered an ip4300 (y)

I'm collecting it at lunchtime so will give it a blast tonight :)

On the advice of this thread I've ordered an ip4300 (y)

I'm collecting it at lunchtime so will give it a blast tonight :)

On the advice on this thread i also bought an IP4300, looking forward to have a play later :D

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your 4300's?

I paid 59.65 for mine from Argos.

Just out of curiosity, how much did you pay for your 4300's?

I paid 59.65 for mine from Argos.

I paid the same, but also from Argos.

Think you could get it a few £ cheaper from the internet, but i'm not good at waiting.

Will these profiles only work well with Ilford paper?

Hmm don't know, but probably. Zoidberg pointed me in the direction of these profiles and s/he (sorry don't know) uses Ilford paper.

I paid the same, but also from Argos.

Think you could get it a few £ cheaper from the internet, but i'm not good at waiting.

Also from Argos for the same price, but I had a £25 voucher which helped :D

Will these profiles only work well with Ilford paper?

Ive used them on Kodak premium photopaper. seem to come out all right. But you can buy 100 sheets of Ilford Gallerie Classic Gloss for £25.
If you select the wrong paper type, it doesnt work, prints too quickly.
Ive printed to epson premium glossy 7x5 with the profile and had good prints.

Now that the 4300 is listed on the ilford site, i'll have to download that profile

I did my first print with the 4300 last night.
Very impressed with the results and i haven't even used fine print yet!

Only thing that bugs me slightly with it is the amount of time it takes to actually start printing once the print has made it to the printer.
It starts churning away for a minute or so before printing, its like it warming up for a big print or doing a little practice in the corner to make sure it gets it right!

Still impressed and wouldn't swap it for another :D

Most printers do this. It is basically a warm up routine. If it hasn't been used for a little while it goes into standby mode. It then needs to charge the ink heads before a print (the churning). If you print one after the other you shouldn't notice it happening.

glad you like it.
I tend to leave my printer on all the time, tis funny to hear it occasionally wake up and chatter away to its self when its doing a quick clean or what ever.

Managed to persuade some one at work to buy a 4300 yesterday as well. He's impressed by it.

Ive used them on Kodak premium photopaper. seem to come out all right. But you can buy 100 sheets of Ilford Gallerie Classic Gloss for £25.
If you select the wrong paper type, it doesnt work, prints too quickly.
Ive printed to epson premium glossy 7x5 with the profile and had good prints.

Now that the 4300 is listed on the ilford site, i'll have to download that profile

Where do you get your paper for £25?
I have read that Ilford classic isn't suitable for pigment inks and that Ilford Galerie should be used.
Am i right in thinking that the IP4300 does use Black pigment ink? and the rest are dyes?

Where do you get your paper for £25?
I have read that Ilford classic isn't suitable for pigment inks and that Ilford Galerie should be used.
Am i right in thinking that the IP4300 does use Black pigment ink? and the rest are dyes?

Paper is from these people.

Not had any problems with the Ilford paper on the 4300 and been using it since beginning of the year.

It is Galerie paper, i use the Classic Gloss. sorry if that was confusing.

okay, thanks :D

On their website it says "Ilford Classic Pearl A4 Box 100" not suitable for pigment inks.

But it doesnt say that for the classic gloss.:D

Now i don't know if i want Gloss or Pearl :thinking: ? ? ?

Paper is from these people.

Not had any problems with the Ilford paper on the 4300 and been using it since beginning of the year.

It is Galerie paper, i use the Classic Gloss. sorry if that was confusing.

I bought a 4300 printer after reading the reviews and positive results on this forum, i also bought a load of paper too!

Including the ilford galerie classic gloss. It says in the data sheet, that its not suitable for printers with pigment ink....like the 4300 :puke:
Have i wasted my cash?

I dont think you've wasted your cash. zoidberg uses the same paper and has had no problems.

I got some Ilford galerie pearl from the site zoidberg recommended, very very impressed with the results.

Back