Advice on a second body

Edit My Images
No
Situation is that I currently have a Canon 1D Mk III and am looking for a second body, so that I don't have to change lenses as often. Ideally one set up with a 24-70mm and the other 70-200mm.

My budget would cover either a 1D MK III or 5D MK II. Gut feeling is to go with another 1D, as it suits my current requirements being mainly into motorsports photography. However 5D would give me full frame especially useful on 24-70mm for shots in the padock and pits area.

So please advise wisely on how I should spend my money

Unless you really need the high megapixels I'd go for another mkIII simply because it would serve as a backup for shooting action should you ever need it.

If you are going to be using the two cameras for essentially the same shoot, just to save you changing lenses back and forth, I would find it confusing working with two different bodies.

I'm not familar with the control layouts of the 1D3 and 5D2, but if speed is essential I would find any differences distracting. The grip, viewfinder, focal range etc - those at least will be different. And in the main, I would guess that the 1D3 is the better for the job in hand, so also a perfect back up.

On the other hand, your lenses will be wider on the 5D2, which might be important. And then there's that wonderful sensor in it, too.

Unless you are unhappy with the 1D3 for any reason, I'd go for another of the same.

I don't know Canon - but I'd recommend 100% using two identical bodies. I almost always shoot that way with two bodies.

Would agree with having 2 identical bodies for ease of use, settings etc etc, but can see the appeal of having the full frame to give you a wider view, hmmm difficult decision, sorry I can't be more help :shrug:

Thanks for the input on this one, so a duplicate body is the general concensus. As for a 1Ds MK III now thats just dreamland!!

Back