Advice on Agencies,Dongles and Card readers

Name
sean
Edit My Images
Yes
I have been given the opportunity to join a Sports picture agency who are just starting out. They have got accreditation for the Football League so if I join I will be shooting games throughout the leagues. As with all agencies they need you to send photos throughout the game from the pitch.

I am currently photographing Borehamwood Fc with my conference license and am now getting photos published in the local paper, the paper is paying me as well. I have only just started getting these photos published though.

So do I A. take up the agency offer and start covering Football league matches, sending photos from the match with no experience what so ever with this way of working nor using any dongles and risking losing contacts with the local newspaper if the agency doesn't work out but potentially getting work published regularly in big papers or B. Stick with Photographing Borehamwood till the end of the season, building a contact with both the club and local newspaper, with certain pay and purchasing Dongles and card readers so that I can practice and get up to speed with the way of work involved through the agency and see what happens at the end of the season.

Personally I'm thinking that I should stick with Borehamwood till the end of the season, maybe longer and purchase dongles and card readers, practicing the way of working and sending out photos during the game. I would appreciate it if you guys could give your opinions and thoughts.

Now as far as Dongles and card readers go I have no idea what ones are the best for this type of working, what deals are the best and what ones are reliable and work well. I would appreciate if you guys could direct me or advise me on what ones to go for. Money is not a worry as these will be for my birthday.

Thanks, Sean.

Are you shooting Borehamwood FC home and away ? Because if you are only doing home games then every other week you could be shooting for the sports agency. You might be able to do early or late games, Sundays, and mid-week fixtures which all crop up far more regularly now we are into the FA Cup as well as your regular slot with Borehamwood.

It really depends on your aspirations. You'll not be able to earn from the agency unless you are capable of delivering images to their specification and timescales and typically that means wiring pitchside during and then just after the match. The ability to do that (including the hardware and software required) and balance the coverage you are getting of the match by shooting images is probably an equivalent level additional skill to being able to get the shots. Nor will you be able to step up to Premier League (if that is what you want), or a larger established agency unless you can achieve this.

My gut says (assuming you are on-spec for the agency) would be to keep your Borehamwood matches going, earn from the paper, and keep that going adding in agency shifts as and when you can - at least for the rest of this season. You can see if you are getting paid more (or at all) by the agency and can make a decision then based on your bank balance and aspirations. I certainly wouldn't drop Borehamwood right away. Not only might you lose the money but you'd be giving up a potentially good relationship with the club and paper. I do recommend you get used to shooting and wiring ASAP even if you stick to Borehamwood. There is a learning curve, you'll speed up as you do it multiple times, and you'll gain experience when to, and when not to put your camera down and look at the screen.

As for dongles and card readers. I use the Lexar USB 3.0 card reader which can take either a CF or SD card. About £23 from Amazon and I have a backup as well just in case. I also keep an XQD card reader in the bag but my workflow for pitched wiring is easier if I just read from the CF cards across my D4 and D3s.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lexar-Professional-500MB-Dual-Reader/dp/B004P8J1DU/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1415455282&sr=8-11&keywords=lexar usb

My dongle is an EE 4G PAYG. Bought because I get good 4G coverage across the grounds I normally shoot at, and less likely to be congested that O2 or Vodafone on 3G. Can't remember prices and they'll have changed but not too bad to buy the device + data (around £80 I think) and then 3GB top-ups are about £40. Backup is my iPhone.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-as-you-go-mobile-broadband/kite-from-ee-payg/details

HTH

Last edited:
Your in a better position than most of the papers are paying you for conference pics... ...

the agency will only pay you IF you get published..

if the paper your getting paid from is a regional paper then all you need to do is show 15 published/paid for and you get your own league licence so no need to work for an agency...

if i was in your position and know nothing i would probably be tempted wiht the agency seeing it as a step up... But knowing what i do know from experience.. I wouldnt bother with the agency.. agancy work on spec is easy to get.. all you need is a camera and small lens and agencies will take you on... its not a great thing...

Stick to what your doing at the moment. Take it from me , the industry is struggling and small agency's are barely getting a look in now with the top agency's covering nearly every league match .

This has given me a bit to think about. I really appreciate everyone helping me out and giving me some guidance.

I have said to the agency that I will be sticking with Borehamwood till the end of the season at least. I am going to try my hand at sending photos during the game to see what it involves and see if I can do it, but I was thinking about getting my own License for next season and hearing what @KIPAX and @blue marlin have said I am pretty sure this is the best way to go from the position I am in now.

Thanks again guys for you advice. Appreciate it.

if the paper your getting paid from is a regional paper then all you need to do is show 15 published/paid for and you get your own league licence so no need to work for an agency

The paper is the Borehamwood Times so i'm not too sure if it will be. If I contact DataCo I presume they will tell me if the paper is regional or sufficient for me to apply for the License?

Last edited:
Do these big agencies have a fixed contract with the national newspapers.IE the newspaper pay them a fee per mnth/yr and in return the agency provides photos from all sporting events? If so it must cost the papers a lot of money considering there are Freelancers at most football at least transmitting photos direct to the nationals at pitch side.

Do these big agencies have a fixed contract with the national newspapers.IE the newspaper pay them a fee per mnth/yr and in return the agency provides photos from all sporting events? If so it must cost the papers a lot of money considering there are Freelancers at most football at least transmitting photos direct to the nationals at pitch side.

The agency in question here doesn't have any contracts, they only pay you if you get photos published and even if you do its a 50/50 payment basis, which is why I didn't want to dive in straight away and so asked you guys on here and I am very glad I did.

The agency in question here doesn't have any contracts, they only pay you if you get photos published and even if you do its a 50/50 payment basis, which is why I didn't want to dive in straight away and so asked you guys on here and I am very glad I did.

505/50? that standard is 70/30 in the photogrpahers favour..

505/50? that standard is 70/30 in the photogrpahers favour..

They say that is for the first year and then it goes too 60/40 in the photographers favour, I guess they are doing this as they are starting up but still if you say standard is 70/30 then their taking the micky really.

I know we all need to start somewhere and looking for the next step but Im not sure Sean should be going for his own license with such lack of experiance. Thats not me being all high and mighty by any means but surely best advice would be as mentioned, Continue for paper that are paying, not all do. On spare weeks work for said agency and even thats at a push but get some experiance 1st, not even 12 months, Ive been going fulltime for 8 years and not got my own license. As said, Ive no probs in anyone asking for advice on best equipment for the job, even techniques and tips but to be that green and become a license holder and in effect a agency and having ability for people to work for you doesnt seem right to me.

I hope this reads right but im not sure it does, Its not meant in offensive way at all Sean. All im saying is bide your time, make sure you know what gear works and whats expected then go to next level. When i was starting out (even 3 years in) I was wiring to myself from pitchside of a sunday league game just to see if I could do it regularly, Absolute no need, looked a right d***head doing so but fine tuned my workflow there before even considering FL. Even now, Im not the fastest, Im not the best but I have 100% faith I can do it should i go to a game on spec or not

I know what you mean ste.. I did about 6 + yrs apprentiship as well :) Sometimes you ahve to grab at opportunities... but saying that.. I dont think his paper is regional so its not going to work out :)

I know we all need to start somewhere and looking for the next step but Im not sure Sean should be going for his own license with such lack of experiance. Thats not me being all high and mighty by any means but surely best advice would be as mentioned, Continue for paper that are paying, not all do. On spare weeks work for said agency and even thats at a push but get some experiance 1st, not even 12 months, Ive been going fulltime for 8 years and not got my own license. As said, Ive no probs in anyone asking for advice on best equipment for the job, even techniques and tips but to be that green and become a license holder and in effect a agency and having ability for people to work for you doesnt seem right to me.

I hope this reads right but im not sure it does, Its not meant in offensive way at all Sean. All im saying is bide your time, make sure you know what gear works and whats expected then go to next level. When i was starting out (even 3 years in) I was wiring to myself from pitchside of a sunday league game just to see if I could do it regularly, Absolute no need, looked a right d***head doing so but fine tuned my workflow there before even considering FL. Even now, Im not the fastest, Im not the best but I have 100% faith I can do it should i go to a game on spec or not
Morning

I am by no means offended, i am just very gratefull that there is people on here that will help out people like me in my situation.

There is a lot too think about and consider. I am definitely sticking with Borehamwood and the Paper this season and posibly next as well. i was seriosly considering wiring to myself pitchside at borehamwood to see how i cope with the way of working and workflow and also tune my speed and technique.

Thanks again for the advice Ste.

I know what you mean ste.. I did about 6 + yrs apprentiship as well :) Sometimes you ahve to grab at opportunities... but saying that.. I dont think his paper is regional so its not going to work out :)

I have emailed Football DatatCo and they consider the Borehamwood Times as Regional paper.

J
I am by no means offended, i am just very gratefull that there is people on here that will help out people like me in my situation.

There is a lot too think about and consider. I am definitely sticking with Borehamwood and the Paper this season and posibly next as well. i was seriosly considering wiring to myself pitchside at borehamwood to see how i cope with the way of working and workflow and also tune my speed and technique.

Thanks again for the advice Ste.

You need to have your workflow sorted before you go to league matches . I'd say it's 50% of the job. Getty , AI , PA etc have a pic desk that edit for them. So you need to be as quick if not quicker than them at getting your pics out . Practise sending out 5 frames at a time and see how quick you can be. I've been doing it 10 years and I'm still not quick enough!!

I have emailed Football DatatCo and they consider the Borehamwood Times as Regional paper.

suprised...

Well I understand where everyones coming from... re taking your time... BUT believe me when I tell you this.. opportunities to get a league licence dont come along often or easy.. It was hard to get mine and I know others who got or getting theres.. it can be expensive and hard to get.. You seem to ahve an opportunity in front of you and although it may not sill well wiht people who worked harder and longer to get theres (me included) I still say ...seize the day... grab the opportunity as its presented to you and do some real quick learning :)

J

You need to have your workflow sorted before you go to league matches . I'd say it's 50% of the job. Getty , AI , PA etc have a pic desk that edit for them. So you need to be as quick if not quicker than them at getting your pics out . Practise sending out 5 frames at a time and see how quick you can be. I've been doing it 10 years and I'm still not quick enough!!
Not quick enough after 10 yrs! how quick do you have to be?

I suspected the big agencies edited the photos and not the Tog when I saw how quick AI where transmitting.That means they have a delay in editing,so if a freelance was quick enough he might be able to beat them time wise.

sigh ... you dont have to beat them time wise most of the time... a night match with early deadlines maybe... sat afternoon not so much.. and if you ahve a commsion you dont need to beat anyone... speed is good but its not the bee all and end all of it..

Agree tony, but the op said he'll be working spec matches which means not only getting pic's no one else has, but getting them edited and out quick. The snappers for big agency's won't be sat there editing and captioning. Someone does it for them.

It's the editing and captioning that slows everything down most of the time I don't even know who scored the goal.This is were the agencies have a big advantage.

sigh ... you dont have to beat them time wise most of the time... a night match with early deadlines maybe... sat afternoon not so much.. and if you ahve a commsion you dont need to beat anyone... speed is good but its not the bee all and end all of it..
What time would you say is the deadline for the national newspapers on a Saturday publishing Sunday?

Agree tony, but the op said he'll be working spec matches which means not only getting pic's no one else has, but getting them edited and out quick. The snappers for big agency's won't be sat there editing and captioning. Someone does it for them.

yeagh not poo pooing speed mate.. you ahve to learn that of course and it can be a deciding factor on some games... lots of other things to learn as well.. some cant be taught on here and require shooting and sending and experience.. with 1 or 2 matches a week thats a slow process.. lots to learn..

I just think a golden opportunity sits in front of him and as gauling as it is to think he could get a licence easier and faster than me or most I know.. its still somehting I would say grab...

Having thought about whats been said here and how i feel about it, I have got back too the agency and said that I will continue to shoot Borehamwood and the paper with consistant payment till the end of the season as I don't want to burn bridges, whilst practising sending out images to myself to get an insight to what the workflow is like and if I can do it. At the end of the season I will see how I have got on with the workflow and sending out images and the agency has then said they will be happy to take me on.

I am very gratefull for and appreciate all of your advice. Thanks Sean.

good call.
theres no stopping you doing matches for
the agency when your club isnt playing, and that way you get a feel for
sending while under pressure in a match situation.

As has been mentioned above it's easy peasy to start wiring yourself, you can just email to yourself.

You can practise that at home, just use images from the last game you shot.

As Kipax says get your own license. Then if you shoot Borehamwood home games, on the other weeks look for League 1 and 2 and shoot those.

As has been mentioned above it's easy peasy to start wiring yourself, you can just email to yourself.

You can practise that at home, just use images from the last game you shot.

As Kipax says get your own license. Then if you shoot Borehamwood home games, on the other weeks look for League 1 and 2 and shoot those.

I will definitely start having a go at wiring myself, first at home as you mentioned and then maybe Borehamwood games in the first or second half.

I think thats a good idea for next season Rob, to shoot League 1 or 2 when borehamwood are playing away. Thank you Rob, i appreciate your response.

On the back of this, how do you go about getting access to league grounds (assuming you've got the required dataco license and insurance)?

Is it just a case of ringing them up and asking to be included on a list?

On the back of this, how do you go about getting access to league grounds (assuming you've got the required dataco license and insurance)?

automated online system.. choose a game.. (request parking, wifi, access areas) apply and you get an email accptance closer to the game... too close in some cases...

Back