Advice on cleaning the sensor

Name
stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a canon 1d mk2. As you can see the sensor is filthy

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/artonas_photobucket/sensorcleaning.jpg

Staff Edit : Images changed to clickable links. Pictures must not exceed current forum limits as per the rules. Please feel free to replace this with a fresh/resized image and remove this text :)

Our local camera shop will clean the sensor but a fe months ago I bought an artic butterfly 724 from a TP member.

Just plucking up the courage to use it. Looking for tips please

stew

stew if you google it, i think you'll find lots of links to do what you need to do........(y)

1 don’t be worried as it not the sensor you are cleaning is a Filter in front of it.
2 You can clean it just take care the same as you would cleaning your glass on your lens
3 make sure you have a full charged batt you need it to keep the mirror up.
Good cleaning
Remember when changing lens turn camera off and point lens down so any dirt that might be around the mount will not fall in but out away from the body

Maybe you can try using a rocket blower first? It's easy to do, doesn't require much skill, and solves the problem most of the time :)

1 don’t be worried as it not the sensor you are cleaning is a Filter in front of it.

thats as maybe, but when you send it to an authorised repairer they say they cant fit just the filter and it has to be the whole thing.

Just thought Id mention that!!!

thats as maybe, but when you send it to an authorised repairer they say they cant fit just the filter and it has to be the whole thing.

Just thought Id mention that!!!

That is not what I was getting at glass is hard the face of the sensor is not as robust as a glass filter.
The sensor is a sensitive electronic component where as the filter (glass) will be more resident to getting damaged.

Ive got my own personal sensor cleaner,He's called Dangermouse :LOL:

I have had a go and the result after two gentle swipes with the artic butterfly is good. We have got some of the swipes somewhere, bought possibly ten years ago so wondering if they will still be ok to use

sensorbeforeandafter1.jpg

Thanks for all the advice, its been very helpful

stew

Rocket blower did the trick for me :) It's a great piece of kit! I was really worried about touching the sensor too and luckily I didn't have to :D

Back