Advice on extenders please

Yongnuo are a well known name, who make several Canon lens clones, e.g. a 50mm f1.8 and a 35mm, also flashguns. Quality is supposed to be OK for the price but it seems a shame to add one to your L lens when there are better options available. Have a look at equivalent Kenko extenders, which are much better or a second hand Canon from the likes of MPB or WEX. Also, with a 2x on your f4 lens you will lose AF on your 5DII.

Yongnuo are a well known name, who make several Canon lens clones, e.g. a 50mm f1.8 and a 35mm, also flashguns. Quality is supposed to be OK for the price but it seems a shame to add one to your L lens when there are better options available. Have a look at equivalent Kenko extenders, which are much better or a second hand Canon from the likes of MPB or WEX. Also, with a 2x on your f4 lens you will lose AF on your 5DII.

Thanks for the feed back.

I didn't know that I would loose AF? Is that with all extenders?

No only
Thanks for the feed back.

I didn't know that I would loose AF? Is that with all extenders?
only on a 2x - the 1.4 is fine because it will AF at f5.6 on your camera. A 2x will make it f8 which won't allow AF on that model.

Thanks for letting me know as I was not aware :ty:

You should also be aware that you will get a degraded image using a teleconverter. The 1.4 is usually not too bad...

I tried a Canon 2x mk 3 and it turned my fantastic 70-200 2.8 is mk2 into a distinctly average lens.

I could live with the slow af but the image quality was very poor, soft and lacking contrast.

I haven't tried the 1.4x though, many say they get good results with these.

Last edited:
No only

only on a 2x - the 1.4 is fine because it will AF at f5.6 on your camera. A 2x will make it f8 which won't allow AF on that model.

Not 100% certain but I think that the Kenko telecons somehow fool the camera into retaining AF but try before you buy!

Have to say that unless you need all the pixels for large prints, you're often better off cropping in to a 200mm shot than using a telecon.

I tried a Canon 2x mk 3 and it turned my fantastic 70-200 2.8 is mk2 into a distinctly average lens.

I could live with the slow af but the image quality was very poor, soft and lacking contrast.

I haven't tried the 1.4x though, many say they get good results with these.
From what I've read, that's not most people's experience. I believe they work very well together. Now, the mk2 is a different story.

From what I've read, that's not most people's experience. I believe they work very well together. Now, the mk2 is a different story.

I'm prepared to consider my lack of talent as a contributing factor

Back