Advice/tips for Oulton BSB

Name
Carl
Edit My Images
Yes
After looking at some of the pics on here i'm looking to go to Oulton Park for the BSB on 8th Aug (race day too expensive for me!)
Haven't been there for many years and then i only had a film SLR and not much knowledge on what i was doing!
Also haven't done any motorsport with my DSLR's, just football and nature stuff.
Any tips/hints would be greatly welcome, from best places to stand and set up.
I have the following kit;
5D Mk 3, 1D Mk 3,
70-200 f2.8L IS II, 24-105f4L, 100 f2.8, 17-40 f4L, 50mm f1.4, 1.4 x II, monopod
would any of the smaller/wide angle lenses come in handy (can you get access to the paddock/pit?)?want to keep kit to a minimum as weight would be an issue with my 'iffy' back, although i could keep stuff in the car.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
I've not been to Oulton Park for years so I'm sure somebody will be along to give you some photography tips.

We always used to try and get a spot at Lodge Corner.

Here's a bit of a guide.....

http://www.itsmymotorsport.co.uk/Oulton_Park_circuit.htm

I remember Lodge corner being a good spot, liked Druids too.
Going back even further we used to go watch a guy called Malcolm Hamilton race in an E-Type Jag regulary at Oulton.
He was very good friends with my best mate's Dad.

We went last year. Could walk all round the paddock areas and we went round most of the course. Different loactions gave a different feel. No real pressure on places when we went, but it might be different for you.

I used a 5D3 with a 70-200 and a 50mm in the paddock. Found that ample for my needs.

I think my last visits were the Transatlantic Trophy (Transatlantic Challenge) races in the late 70s early 80s

Barry Sheene, Freddy Spencer, Randy Mamola, Kenny Roberts, Ron Haslam etc - I've loads of old photos somewhere.

We went last year. Could walk all round the paddock areas and we went round most of the course. Different loactions gave a different feel. No real pressure on places when we went, but it might be different for you.

I used a 5D3 with a 70-200 and a 50mm in the paddock. Found that ample for my needs.

I'm thinking of taking both bodies and just the 70-200 and 24-105, probably have the 70-200 on the 1D, 24-105 on the 5D (for wide shots in the paddock), and the extender too.

Yeah, you should be OK with that. I too have an 'iffy back and didn't fancy carryin g that much weight all day long!

Oulton is one of the better circuits for taking photos. There's a bit of fencing but there are ways around them as there are now Grandstands that look over the fences at Lodge and Old Hall.

No fences on the inside of Druids and you can easily get the "wheelie" picture. You can get to Druids by taking the Woodland Walk.

Kawasaki 83 by Alansart, on Flickr

Barry Burrell, Buildbase BMW, Supersport by Alansart, on Flickr

If you are prepared to walk a bit it's pretty good coming up the hill out of the Foulstons Chicane.

Glenn Richards, WFR Honda by Alansart, on Flickr

To be honest have a walk around and find your own spot. There's lots to go at and it's a bit quieter on a Practice Day. I'll probably be doing the same myself.

Paddock access is good but I doubt if you would get in the Pitlane.

I think my last 2 pics were taken with a 70-150 zoom so you should be ok with your 70-200.

Last edited:
I shoot there with 200mm and its ok... yes 400mm would be nice ! Not been for a few months so rusty but I usualy do druids early on as the sun is on your back and then wander to brittons in the afternoon. Lodge is good but new fences have taken the 'lodge' angle away. Brittons is the closest point to the track and I like for bsb. The hill out of brittons is a wheelie spot (and druids exit) just wander and enjoy... its just a nice place to be!

all the bike shots on my flickr are oulton...

Bob

Back