AF mode in exif data ?

Name
Harry
Edit My Images
Yes
anyone know if this is can be seen in the exif data, im after seeing AF-S and AF-C etc, body is a D300 i have LR4 and CS6 on a mac. cant see it though. is it viewable in the camera menu somewhere ?

cheers

I think not. There's certainly no mention of focusing mode in the official Exif specification which is available here: http://www.exif.org/specifications.html

But I'd be happy to be proved wrong.

Don't know about the D300, but pretty sure the D90 did when I had that. LR only shows you some of the contents; grab a copy of the free EXIFTool, drag and drop a photo onto the icon, and you'll see half a dozen pages of different EXIF.

(Oops, just noticed you're on a Mac. Not sure if EXIFTool is available for it or not. Should be though since it uses an open source library)

I believe the AF mode is shown in the exif data on Flickr.

Sent from my phone as I cant be a***d to turn the PC on.

I've managed to prove myself partially wrong.

The Exif spec allows camera manufacturers to put pretty much whatever they want into EXIF data, in proprietary fields. Here [click] is a list of the tags which Nikon use. There's some pretty obscure and detailed stuff in there, including pretty much everything you could possibly want to know about the AF. But I haven't been able to identify a source which sets out which Exif fields are supported by which cameras...

The other snag of course is that data in proprietary fields isn't necessarily supported by mainstream applications like Lightroom and mainstream web sites like Flickr; you might need to use the manufacturer's own software to access it. Or alternatively download and use the Exiftool application which you can get here: [click].

Last edited:
In the past, Picassa has thrown up a load of information I wasn't sure I'd see - like 35mm EFLs (which Flickr sometimes doesn't), AF mode might be included in their metadata. As usual, wrong machine for me to check!

thanks guys, looks like its not an easy thing to do. its just i had a batch of OOF shots among a lot of good shots so wanted to check if i had without realising knocked my af from C to S at that time

Back