Afghanistan - Combat Cameras

Very interesting thread this one ,great photos to bu (y)

Yup. ONE careful owner - then Rob got his paws on them!

ooo...Cheeky Bitch... :razz:

I'll have you know that only ten days ago I was complimented by BBC Cameraman Mark McCauley on the state of my kit, he moaned that it put him to shame seeing how clean and cared-for my lenses were...lol

Sorry if this is a personal question, although i am fascinated?

Have you shot anyone dead?

Have you ever had to photograph dead bodies?

Difficult to say on the first - I have shot at people and subsequently found them to be dead, but i was one of a number of other soldiers firing at the time and we don't do forensic pathology on war-dead in those situations to determine who fired the actual rounds that killed them...and in any case that was 20 years ago...

Photographed lots of dead people - Rwanda, Iraq and over here...

Seeing 'enemy' dead bothers me about as much as seeing road-kill to be honest; it's different when it's friendly casualties...I've had to photograph UK casualties who subsequently died of injuries and that's always a tough one...very tough.
It's very hard to put the camera to your eye when the guys mates are watching you... though paradoxically it's easier to do if I've spent time with them and actually know the casualty, as they trust me to do the right thing by them - if I just rock-up unannounced and start snapping away (and sometimes there's no choice in the matter), it can appear like a ghoulish kind of voyourism and gets me some nasty looks on occasion...

watching the £88,000 Javelin missile take out a bunch of Insurgents during the contact the day

:nono: you guys really haven't got the hang of that one have you? Wrong tool for that job:

"Shmel helping the faithul achieve matyrdom since 1984, thousands of satisfried customers"

:bat: :bat: :bat:

Cheap too :D

This thread is so un-PC it's flippin awesome. Get some get some.

The recent stuff is on my Flickr page...

There are some excellent images, in your gallery Rob
I do enjoy your informative posts and the image links (y)

(And of course I wouldn't dare start a Canon v Nikon argument with you :D)

Just goes to show how tough camera's really are. Keep safe and look foward to your next thread.

I'm a British Army Photographer

I for one would like to offer my thanks for the work you and your collegues do. In wars in far off lands the public tend to forget the sacrifice made by service personal.

Thank you.

Do you ever get confused when someone shouts "shoot!"?
;)

Keep safe.

Great work again mate, love the 226, I can remember a day when there were only certain guys got their hands on those ;) Keep safe

*update*

The guys at Nikon UK spotted this thread and have very kindly sent me some spare body-screws to replace the one that fell out...

Nikon UK
Dear Sgt Knight,

...The talk Photography thread gave us a good laugh and your Flickr images are amazing-great credit to the cameras but I'm sorry to hear you're the butt of the jokes by the Canon boys-this just won't do. As we all know our cameras are generally far better made. I am pleased to inform you that we have now posted out a couple of replacement screws to your barracks.

Kind regards and all the best for Christmas and the New Year.

Rob MacNeice
Nikon UK Pro Support

Many thanks Rob...

That's nice :) and good to see that 'Nikon' have their fingers on the pulse.

I have a couple of body screws wonder if Nikon will send me a D3 :LOL:

Great shots there Rob.

Can't wait to see more.
Impressed at the clarity under trying conditions

Keep safe.

Seeing those beaten-up D3s and the associated 'mojo' :cool: reminds me very much of the vibe imparted by well-used musical instruments. In the wolrd of electric guitars, there's actually a trend of artificially 'relicing' new guitars, to make them look as though they've had years of hard use :D. This is surprisingly popular with musicians (I've even had one myself), despite the fact that they cost way more than the standard, un-reliced versions.

Here's a 2,000GBP+ example (Link ...).

Perhaps if Nikon were to offer a relicing service (scratching the paintwork, taping over the gaps and adding official press photographer stickers to their pro camera bodies :D), they'd be able to sell them for even more, provided that they still functioned as normal. Instant 'street cred', at a price :naughty:!

Anyway, keep up the good work, Arkaday (y)!

Canon/Nikon stuff doesn't even come into the conversation with shots like these in the situations you all have to face out there. It puts everything into perspective about our daily moans about this bit of kit or that bit of kit.....

All I can say is respect and stay safe!

Cheers for sharing some very very interesting shots!!

Matt

Thank you Rob.

A very Happy New Year.

Thank you Rob.

A very Happy New Year.

And to you all...

Woke up this morning feeling fine...clear-headed, fresh as a daisy...
On New Year's Day...? Without a hangover...? That's just wrong...!!!

Would you like my hangover? One very careful owner...

Seriously, just stumbled on this thread and major props to Nikon for getting you some screws. Moreso for the work you are doing out there photographing the troops. I've just been looking at your flickr and some cracking shots chap.

Would you like my hangover? One very careful owner...

Seriously, just stumbled on this thread and major props to Nikon for getting you some screws. Moreso for the work you are doing out there photographing the troops. I've just been looking at your flickr and some cracking shots chap.

ah, Mr Lindley, I presume - you are added, sir...

Back