African Painted Dog, Mana Pools **WARNING - IMPALA BEING EATEN**

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Out and about shortly after sunrise we saw a cloud of dust in the bush and upon investigation, found a pack of 27 African Painted Dogs had just brought down a female impala.

It was a fairly chaotic scene and I found it quite difficult to photograph with dogs here, there and everywhere. Whilst I have never felt in any way threatened by Painted Dogs - unlike all other African animals I have encountered, they generally just seem to accept people amongst them so long as you are quite and dont make any sudden movements - it was interesting trying to keep track of all 27 dogs!

Sadly these beautiful and charismatic animals are now highly endangered (estimated that only about 3,000 remain in the wild). You will notice that two of the female dogs are wearing tracking collars - the David Shepherd WIldlife Foundation funds conservation and monitoring efforts in this area.

I was delighted to see this pack had increased in number from when we had last seen them (about 12 months previous) and the young dogs looked fantastic.

Here are a few of the photo's I took (I was also careful to take a little time just to watch the dogs, without the distraction of my camera).

The scene that greeted us - impala can only have been down a minute or two:

2R4C7927 by Whyone, on Flickr

2R4C7917 by Whyone, on Flickr

Wonder what happens if I pull on this?

2R4C7931 by Whyone, on Flickr

Ooops!:

2R4C7932 by Whyone, on Flickr

There goes another leg!!

2R4C7941 by Whyone, on Flickr

One of the youngsters:

2R4C7999 by Whyone, on Flickr

Nice to get a little early morning sunlight:

2R4C8005 by Whyone, on Flickr

The dogs made very short work of the impala - this is all that was left after 20 minutes:

2R4C8043 by Whyone, on Flickr

As ever, your C's & C's are most welcome.
:)

Very nice capture, and great to see these animals in the wild. Lovely to see images of real nature.

Fantastic set of photos, I cannot wait until I return to Africa in April although African Painted Dogs are extremly rare in Kenya.

Once again wonderful photos

You lucky fella! My fav of the african dogs:)

Love the youngster in number three!

Every encounter with wild dogs to me is a fantastic experience, but to witness them on a kill must have been amazing....a great set of shots indeed!

Lovey set! Tells a good story......I was lucky enough to see a pack of wild dog on my trip to the Kruger but wasn't that lucky to see them hunt and feed!!

Will, Nick, Neil, Chris, Rhod, Sue and Tom - thank you all for your kind comments, they are greatly appreciated.

It was indeed wonderful to see these brilliant animals again.

As we checked into the National Parks office we bumped into a guide we have got to know over the years. We asked about the dogs and were disappointed to hear that they hadn't been seen on the floodplain for a few weeks. We were therefore especially pleased and lucky to see them on three occasions during our week camping - twice just resting under trees, the final time being the subject of my photo's above.

This particular pack had a run-in with a pride of lions a few years ago (the lions found them whilst young we still in the den) and came off very much second best, with their numbers being reduced to 6 or 7 dogs. It is great to see the pack up to a very healthy 27.

Whyone, are these on foot or from the vehicle, just a quick question before I comment :)

Great series though.

Hi Russell, on foot - all of the photo's I take at Mana are taken on foot. Hence my comment about it being 'interesting' having 27 dogs running hither and thither!

One of the reasons I return to Mana year after year is that you are permitted, at your own risk, to walk unguided. I believe this is the only National Park in Africa where this is allowed. Our trips are self-supported - ie we obtain the necessary permits and then drive into the valley carrying everything we need for the week, set up camp and get on with it.

Having got used to walking in the bush, and viewing animals on foot, I just don't like being constrained by a vehicle.

Taking the thread off-topic - this is a picture of yours truly in the company of an ele trying, not entirely successfully, to take pictures whilst keeping my camera out of firing line of the muddy water the ele was spraying about. Not one of my own photos. Obviously!

DSC_1392 by Whyone, on Flickr

Last edited:
Funny you should mention next years trip - I have just heard that our booking request has been accepted by National Parks, and we now have a permit to access the Park and camp for 7 nights from Sunday 6th October.

Funny you should mention next years trip - I have just heard that our booking request has been accepted by National Parks, and we now have a permit to access the Park and camp for 7 nights from Sunday 6th October.

Hmmmm, Ian just wondering if you could send me some details as I'll be looking for a change of venue in 2014 as I've already booked the Masai Mara again for next April 2013.

What a great set of action pictures, and what fantastic looking animals. I'm so envious!

Back