Airbus A340

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all,

I'm no transport photographer, but I shot this image recently:

Airbus A340 Contrail by Photo Plod, on Flickr

It is, as far as I can tell, an Airbus A340, and it had just taken off from Heathrow Airport. It flew overhead while I was walking along the Thames on a sunny afternoon. I snapped it very quickly with my D80, and just about managed to get it at full extension of my 80 - 200mm lens.

I don't know if there's a word for it - the plane had just started leaving a contrail, but clearly there's condensation coming off all along the wings as well - at least, I assume that's what it is. Can anyone assist in confirming this, and making sure that I've identified the aircraft correctly?

C&C also welcome, of course :D

You are quite correct, its a Qatar A340-600 to be precise! ;)

And the fogging over the wing is low pressure above the wing creating mist/fog, and the wing tip vortices are water vapour.

I could bore you with the technicalities as to why its different from the early A340 models, but I'll just leave you with one fact about it, its the longest airliner in the world, even beating a 747 ( Jumbo ).

I could bore you with the technicalities as to why its different from the early A340 models, but I'll just leave you with one fact about it, its the longest airliner in the world, even beating a 747 ( Jumbo ).

Recently beaten by the B747-8.

Ady - thankyou for that! I sat down with an online equivalent of Jane's Jumbo Jets (or something like that) and looked at the Qatar Airways fleet, but I wasn't sure! :LOL:

You can always look up serials on airliners.net - A7-AGD

Its a nice, different shot made by the pressure wave.

Back