Aircraft at Shuttleworth

Name
Keith
Edit My Images
Yes
By pure chance I came home past Shuttleworth today, and noticed a lot seemed to be going on, luckily I had the bridge camera in the car.
This is my first attempt at this sort of thing, I really enjoyed it and was pleased with some of the pictures with the humble FZ82, plenty of sunshine probably helped a lot.
I had the SS on 1/1300, I am thinking 1/2500 would be better for the flight shots?
These are my favourites from the quick session.

001 04 04 23.jpg009 04 04 23.jpg
003 04 04 23.jpg
006 04 04 23.jpg
013 04 04 23.jpg
012 04 04 23.jpg

Glad you got there in the end.

Good set there, a few old favourites from a few years back at Breighton, I don't know what's happening up here but nothing seems to fly anymore from Breighton or Sandtoft, gone very quiet, I may have to risk a trip down sometime.

Lovely set, I did not realise they had a Mew Gull there I really must visit there.

Nice set!
Thanks Mike
Good set there, a few old favourites from a few years back at Breighton, I don't know what's happening up here but nothing seems to fly anymore from Breighton or Sandtoft, gone very quiet, I may have to risk a trip down sometime.
I'm assuming you can take pictures for free most days, but I need to do more research for my next trip.
Lovely set, I did not realise they had a Mew Gull there I really must visit there.
Thanks Roger

Great pictures Keith. They all have their charms so I'll just say well done for them all :D

I had the SS on 1/1300, I am thinking 1/2500 would be better for the flight shots?
The problem with increased SS on prop driven aircraft is you get a frozen prop, I would actually drop the SS and practice panning, obviously just my opinion.

Here is one of mine taken at 1/250th, if you flick through my flicker page you can see the Pitts and Spit look completely unrealistic because of the prop, so I slowed my shutter speed to get the prop blur.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gAWzZQ]Weston Air Show by R Hillman, on Flickr[/URL]

Last edited:
The problem with increased SS on prop driven aircraft is you get a frozen prop, I would actually drop the SS and practice panning, obviously just my opinion.

Here is one of mine taken at 1/250th, if you flick through my flicker page you can see the Pitts and Spit look completely unrealistic because of the prop, so I slowed my shutter speed to get the prop blur.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gAWzZQ]Weston Air Show by R Hillman, on Flickr[/URL]
Thats very helpful Roger, so the trick is to learn to stay focussed directly on the aircraft and move at exactly the same speed? (with a slower shutter)

Thats very helpful Roger, so the trick is to learn to stay focussed directly on the aircraft and move at exactly the same speed? (with a slower shutter)
That's the trick ,if you look at the best pictures of F1 racing cars on here, they have the same problem with the wheels which look really silly when the wheels are stopped when the car was doing 160mph! There was a good discussion about it a ew years back I will see if I can find it.

With props the key is for there to be some movement blur visible - how much is something of a personal preference, some like a whole blurred circle, others to be able to see each blade as an individual short blurred arc.
The speeds do vary with different aircraft, so if you are in a situation where you will be able to take a number of shots, I'd suggest starting high (say 1/500) to make sure you get the aircraft itself sharp, then slow down the shutter, check, and repeat until you reach the point where you either can't get the aircraft sharp, or there's no difference when you slow down the shutter any more because the props already a complete blur.
With practice, you get to have an idea of what sort of speeds you can manage, and can more quickly hone in on the 'right' speed for a sharp image with the amount of blur you prefer.

With props the key is for there to be some movement blur visible - how much is something of a personal preference, some like a whole blurred circle, others to be able to see each blade as an individual short blurred arc.
The speeds do vary with different aircraft, so if you are in a situation where you will be able to take a number of shots, I'd suggest starting high (say 1/500) to make sure you get the aircraft itself sharp, then slow down the shutter, check, and repeat until you reach the point where you either can't get the aircraft sharp, or there's no difference when you slow down the shutter any more because the props already a complete blur.
With practice, you get to have an idea of what sort of speeds you can manage, and can more quickly hone in on the 'right' speed for a sharp image with the amount of blur you prefer.
Thanks Jonathan, great advice for the next trip.

Hi Keith, some nice shots there. You've already had the relevant advice on improving them so I'll not repeat that.

I visited Shuttleworth about a month ago and was amazed by the depth and breadth of the collection. There wasn't any flying on the day I was there so I will definitely be going back for an air show this year :)

Hi Keith, some nice shots there. You've already had the relevant advice on improving them so I'll not repeat that.

I visited Shuttleworth about a month ago and was amazed by the depth and breadth of the collection. There wasn't any flying on the day I was there so I will definitely be going back for an air show this year :)
Hi Steve

Yes I think I will be going to an air show this year. I think I got lucky with the amount of activity, I travel past quite often and it was busier than I've seen before.

Hi Steve

Yes I think I will be going to an air show this year. I think I got lucky with the amount of activity, I travel past quite often and it was busier than I've seen before.
Maybe we will meet up at some time :)

I can highly recommend Shuttleworth for an Airshow. A really good day out .

For props I normally shoot around 250th or lower if you can & pan. Practice like everything in life is key. Expect to have a high failure rate, I do !

I am going to see if I can get to the season opener in May, my first Airshow for some time but I have been to the night shoots there & have really enjoyed them.

hope this is of use

Doug

I can highly recommend Shuttleworth for an Airshow. A really good day out .

For props I normally shoot around 250th or lower if you can & pan. Practice like everything in life is key. Expect to have a high failure rate, I do !

I am going to see if I can get to the season opener in May, my first Airshow for some time but I have been to the night shoots there & have really enjoyed them.

hope this is of use

Doug
I think I'll try and get to the May one too, never been to an air show before apart from the free one on Blackpool Beach (The Eurofighter was incredible)

I shall try and get to the 7th May show as it will have the SE5A, Fairey Swordfish and Lanc!

Don't think I can make the 7th May show :(

I'm supposed to be riding in a 25 mile bike event in Yorkshire that day :)

Well that sounds like a lot of fun too !
I do hope you were joking Keith. 25 miles of cycling around the hills of Yorkshire is not quite what I would call fun. I entered the ride with a friend of mine as a bet ... one I would be happy to lose by default :)

I do hope you were joking Keith. 25 miles of cycling around the hills of Yorkshire is not quite what I would call fun. I entered the ride with a friend of mine as a bet ... one I would be happy to lose by default :)
I thought you meant motorcycles :ROFLMAO:

For jet planes you can use a fast shutter speed.
For planes with a propellor and helicoptors, you want a slower shutter speed to blur the prop.

Keep your chosen focus point over the aircraft as it moves.

For jet planes you can use a fast shutter speed.
For planes with a propellor and helicoptors, you want a slower shutter speed to blur the prop.

Keep your chosen focus point over the aircraft as it moves.
Thanks Andrew

Last time I was at Shuttleworth they flew the Bristol Scout and even at 1/160 the prop was about 1/3 blurred. A friend tried 1/25 and got a fully blurred prop and a fully blurred aircraft!!!

Back