All-in-one PCs vs Mac

How often are you doing a back-up? It obviously pays to do them as often as possible, as I said earlier in my case hourly which takes a few minutes. My 1Tb hard disk which I'm backing up is now 80% full so there is a lot of data there.
It's set to back up hourly, which typically is only small changes which don't always take a long time. However, it was disconnected last week as my new grand-daughter was sleeping in the room and I didn't want the network activity LED flashing away all hours of the night. That said, it's been slow before, so this isn't new.

I used a 1TB, then replaced it with a 2TB external drive connected through USB when I used a Mac as my work computer. Seemed reasonably brisk for what it was shifting around.

It's set to back up hourly, which typically is only small changes which don't always take a long time. However, it was disconnected last week as my new grand-daughter was sleeping in the room and I didn't want the network activity LED flashing away all hours of the night. That said, it's been slow before, so this isn't new.
There would obviously seem to be a blockage in the pipeline somewhere. Are we talking USB 3, 2 or 1 here with the Mac and external drive? I must admit that I'm using a Thunderbolt connection which would explain quite a lot of the difference if you are using one of the older USB connections.

Update - Read a tip on one of the Mac forums that seems to have worked for now at least.

Abort current slow backup
Shutdown
Reboot in safe mode (hold down shift key while booting)
Shutdown
Reboot as normal

Don't know why this has worked, but the backup that was taking forever (days) has completed overnight.

Update - Read a tip on one of the Mac forums that seems to have worked for now at least.

Abort current slow backup
Shutdown
Reboot in safe mode (hold down shift key while booting)
Shutdown
Reboot as normal

Don't know why this has worked, but the backup that was taking forever (days) has completed overnight.
Reads like some files were marked as lock and the lock wasn't released for whatever reason, therefore timemachine sits there just waiting for them to be released as it shouldn't backup a file that is currently in use.

Back