All-in-One Printer vs Seperate bits

Name
Ric
Edit My Images
Yes
hello,

with selling alot of bits and pieces i've been thinking of getting a printer and scanner, i've always thought about getting them seperately.

i was eyeing up the Canon ip4700 and now the ip4850 it's replacement,

but was thinking is the difference between them and say the ip2702 going to be that great?

as for the scanner part i've just been looking at the base models lide 25/100/110 as that can be stored away quite nice and simple, as i already do that with a wacom pad which is pretty much the same size.

i've been tempted with the Canon Outlet on ebay so can get things a little cheaper.

the All in one machines that good or are they a compromise.
i think are just far too big,

but if you do get better results should i buy a bigger desk...

all in ones are pretty decent these days and they tend to use the same ink and heads as the stand alone printers.

personally I don't rate them at all for photo printing but I did print my PhD thesis using a canon mp620 and the quality of my graphs diagrams etc were good

Whilst these all in one machines do look big, they do offer a smaller footprint than separate components. The question is do you need the scanner option. I had an Epson R500 several years ago and it was a good machine. The quality of the Photo prints was very good. However I have not used it for several years now never needing the scanner option.

If you need to print and scan and have limited space then an all in one could be an option. If you don't need the scanning option I can't see the point

When I was looking for a printer, I actually found it harder to get one without a scanner that had all the features I wanted.

I wanted to get separate devices (in fact I got a lide as an upgrade to my faulty scanner, however the new one was faulty). The wife then added the requirement of being able to make a copy of a document, without the computer needing to be on, so got a canon all-in-one.
Got this device http://www.canon.co.uk/For_Home/Product_Finder/Multifunctionals/Inkjet/PIXMA_MG5250/, the copy function is actually quite useful (you have the option of black or white, or colour copy). Images seem OK, disk printing is quite easy.
Scanning from it is as easy as with a separate lide, (even though I am doing it over a networked USB device, computer is downstairs, the printer is upstairs).
The wife even took the whole device, and scanned some important pictures direct to USB pendrive, without needing the computer.
I have not used the printer for 'top quality' images as yet, as I have a 9500MkII for that, but I don't think that this will struggle as I believe it has a common print-head with one of the IP range of printers.
Duplex printing included is pretty good. The device is slightly larger than the i560 which it is really replacing for me, basically the i560 with the lide held on top. Good use of space.

Back