Bargain All Nik products free!

Already own the software from when NIK where in charge.
Cannot understand some of the comments like "It must be finishing" It's Rubbish" etc etc.
It's FREE!! what else do people want?

Russ

I paid for it in November so I'm a little peeved but Google have made this free probably for a good reason. If it's free they are not obliged to maintain it, which means it may not run on the next OS version and Google can wipe there hands of it. It hasn't been updated in a few years from what I understand but I think they have always ensured it runs with the latest OS's.

I certainly hope it doesn't stop working when Apple release OSX.next especially since I've paid for it.

I paid for it in November so I'm a little peeved but Google have made this free probably for a good reason. If it's free they are not obliged to maintain it, which means it may not run on the next OS version and Google can wipe there hands of it. It hasn't been updated in a few years from what I understand but I think they have always ensured it runs with the latest OS's.

I certainly hope it doesn't stop working when Apple release OSX.next especially since I've paid for it.
https://support.google.com/nikcollection/answer/4400822?hl=en&ref_topic=3001406

i loved the trial and just downloaded it.....god bless 67 meg broadband!
I'm on Virgin >200Mb its unbelievable :whistle: It doesn't seem that long ago I thought my US robotics 14.4K modem was the dogs danglers o_O

It's interesting that many clearly didn't choose Nik when it cost money. And now it's free, there is a big rush to install it. What does this tell us?

It's interesting that many clearly didn't choose Nik when it cost money. And now it's free, there is a big rush to install it. What does this tell us?
We like free stuff? Who doesn't, especially when its a good product?

People don't like things unless they are free! Well that's:) the polite version anyway....

I'm hoping it's not reason as it would be a shame for users that have used it for many years. I'm hoping it's a shrewd bit of business to increase user numbers and introduce paid for updates or subscription like CC.

The likely thing will be many will install it and never use it again. Whenever something is released for free there is a rush for it.

People who bought it probably have a use for it, use it more and get their monies worth more than the people rushing to download it now.

Its free, stop whinging.

I bought it years ago as Nik software and it was brilliant and it still is.

Have you considered that Google has overnight now discovered the IP addresses of all active photographers and can use that information to sell future products to us all.

A very shrewd move as they know it is a very popoular product and as has been said, they also have the access to the core Control Point technology too.

Its the likes of Adobe who need to be worried.

Its free, stop whinging.

Have you considered that Google has overnight now discovered the IP addresses of all active photographers and can use that information to sell future products to us all.

A very shrewd move as they know it is a very popoular product and as has been said, they also have the access to the core Control Point technology too.

Will they be able to do much with just an IP address though?

I'd have thought if that was their intention they'd make you register it? Is it stands they don't even ask for an email address.

Last edited:
No but if you downloaded it, you downloaded it to somewhere.......................Google is quite clever in that respect.

Dont under estimate them.

Can't see them giving away their fortune to charity (or to governments, if they can avoid it)

Its free, stop whinging.

An IP Address doesn't give them much info. Many ISP issue dynamic IP addresses which means your IP will change.

An IP Address doesn't give them much info. Many ISP issue dynamic IP addresses which means your IP will change.
This.... and that's just the "ISP-side" of your router.

The Inside, LAN, Address will be a private address (typically 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x) and I doubt they can trace that to the specific machine that downloaded the software (along with the smartphones, tablets, smart TVs and other stuff using your home broadband.

Many thanks to the OP for the information.

No but if you downloaded it, you downloaded it to somewhere.......................Google is quite clever in that respect.

Dont under estimate them.

Can't see them giving away their fortune to charity (or to governments, if they can avoid it)
They'll be giving my information to the CIA too... I need some tin foil...[emoji50]

In all seriousness, if they wanted to know who was using it, all they'd need to do is ask :)

Last edited:
Downloaded and installed but I can't seem to see them anywhere, windows 10 search doesn't bring them up either. Any ideas?
Right click on the file within LR after import, select 'edit with' (you can still process in LR and it will import the settings to NIC) and select Color Efex or any of their other suits and bingo, opens in another window.

At first attempt it refused to install (W8.1) and instead rebooted the machine. Installed OK second go on a fresh boot.

I'm intrigued to try this and compare it to On1 photo suite, whose B&W module I very much like.

Is it actually fully working with win 10?
From there website it isn't clear:
Windows:
  • Windows Vista®, Windows 7, Windows 8
  • Adobe Photoshop CS4 through CC 2015
  • Adobe Photoshop Elements 9 through 13 (apart from HDR Efex Pro 2, which is not compatible with Photoshop Elements)
  • Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 through 6/CC

Ignore that out of date stuff, I have windows 10 and the latest Lightroom cc and it worked fine first time

Thanks, i'll try, i have latest standalone lightroom! Always wanted to give it a go, good stuff it's free!

There's no such thing as a free lunch. The cynic in me wonders why they are doing this.
Google paid handsomely to buy the Nik company. Why give the stuff away?
And yes I have the set but bought a long time ago.
Are Google just being public spirited? Will they continue to up date the product?

You're right there is never such thing as a free lunch. The devil is in the detail or the small print

Google gives you free software in return for access to your photos. When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

You're right there is never such thing as a free lunch. The devil is in the detail or the small print

Google gives you free software in return for access to your photos. When you upload, submit, store, send or receive content to or through our Services, you give Google (and those we work with) a worldwide license to use, host, store, reproduce, modify, create derivative works (such as those resulting from translations, adaptations or other changes we make so that your content works better with our Services), communicate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute such content.

Thanks. I hadn't read that but it is interesting. I don't knowingly store any of my photos with Google, or is there some back-door way that they can access them? Would using the search engine to find the photos count as someone/anyone/themselves having used Google services so allowing them free access?

Don't know about you but, when I use Nik software, the photos & software are on my hard drive so not sure they would have access to my photos

Don't know about you but, when I use Nik software, the photos & software are on my hard drive so not sure they would have access to my photos
Same here but I do put some on flickr. I know that's owned by Yahoo but if someone uses Google to search for me or Google do it themselves would they then have a record on their system? Some fancy dan American lawyers might interpret that in Google 's favour leaving us little guys clutching straws.

Same here but I do put some on flickr. I know that's owned by Yahoo but if someone uses Google to search for me or Google do it themselves would they then have a record on their system? Some fancy dan American lawyers might interpret that in Google 's favour leaving us little guys clutching straws.
Anything in Flickr is your copyright, as long as you don't click Creative Commons when you upload.

Using Google software won't give them any licence to reproduce copy etc, though I'm surprised to read their terms above and would love to know what products that would relate to!

The only hosting site I use though is Flickr so I'm pretty sure I don't use any Google hosting services.

They wouldn't have any access to them.

You aren't using Google's services when uploading to Flickr so you're not subject to their terms.

Just downloaded it and HDR Efex Pro 2 is not there, perhaps it's not part of the free deal.

Anyone found the HRD plug in?

That's the one I was looking forward to :(

I'm using LR and PSE 13.

Last edited:
Just downloaded it and HDR Efex Pro 2 is not there, perhaps it's not part of the free deal.

Anyone found the HRD plug in?

That's the one I was looking forward to :(

Where are you looking for it Dave? If right clicking in LR, you need to go to Export rather than Edit in..

Screen Shot 2016-03-26 at 10.10.54.png

Last edited:
Where are you looking for it Dave? If right clicking in LR, you need to go to Export rather than Edit in..

Brilliant thanks, that's the way to do it.........YIPEEEEEEEEEE :runaway:

NOTE....This works for LR, but I haven't found a way to access HDR in PSE 13 yet.

Last edited:
Silly question I know, but can you use the Nik plugin with either or both LR & Elements 12?
In other words install it as a plugin to both lots of software.

Back