Alley

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I did post this picture in another thread alongside some others but I think it was taking too long to load and I didn't get any feedback, I would love some C+C on this shot!

alley.jpg

This, and other examples of backstreet photography here. Thanks.

doesnt do much for me im afraid....not sure about the yellow haze in ther shot (its probably the street light - could be altered post production).

I would crop it from both sides as the foreground (walls) is too dark to show any detail.

I can see what you're trying to do....maybe turn the chair to face you giving the feeling that someone was sat there? And remove the bin from the shot

I think it's got potential but I would convert to B&W. What would be good is if you have a tripod and done a self portrait of you slumped in the chair, it might work.

Last edited:
I hope you don't mind...

alleycopy.jpg

I hope you don't mind...

alleycopy.jpg

That looks better, but as mentioned before, if the chair was facing you, and the bin removed, it would probably look better.

Thanks for comments, am definitely liking the B&W, may well go back to the same location and change the layout!

I'd be inclined to move the bin out of the way, it's a bit over-dark and obstructs the viwe. Otherwise I quite like it.

The picture is fine, doesn't jump out me but I prefer the original colour, I guess its an old sodium street lamp (I think its sodium which used to be used a lot and gave that yellow / orange cast). Been paying a little on the screen and would be tempted to bring the bottom up a little towards the bin, maybe to the mottled patch in front of the bin. I would then crop from the LHS slightly to the left of the shaft of light, hopefully this would knock the chair off centre. Alley's like these have always been seen as menacing, as they tail off to a dark zone.Hope you don't mind but this is how I would see it, apologies if it has moved the pic away from your intention.

I much prefer the mono and the detail they have brought out on the LH side. Unsure about the bin as I think it balances the chair

I've done a very, very rough and ready edit of the photo to make it B&W and to (very poorly) clone stamp out the bin just to get a feel for how it would look without. I realise the detail is poor, but what do you think of this in terms of composition and tones?

alleyreedit.jpg

like the BN version more anche I guess, the horizontal cropping kinda fits this shot.

This would be my take on it:

alleey.jpg

I agree with the comments above that the bin detracts from the shot, and I think the yellow cast from the streetlamp was a bit extreme so I've reduced the saturation a little on that. I also found the foliage at the top of the frame a little distracting and cropped the image to remove that. I think this image could also work as a centred composition ,although as it is the wall on the left is a lot darker and I think they would need to be a little more evenly lit for your original crop to work.

If you were to shoot it again I'd perhaps consider a lower viewpoint so you don't see the foliage at the top, move the bin, and maybe take a torch with a yellow sweet wrapper on it (to match the colour temp of the street lamp) and use a long exposure and light painting to add some light to the edge of the wall.

Last edited:
im still partial to having the chair centre frame...it leads the eye down the picture (creates mystery down the alley)...I dont like the cropping or colouring by Mike54...
i think sketchy's would be better with more photo on the top edge....
You've done a pretty good cloning job there pink trainers!
Im still not sure about b+w??? I think it exentuates the over exposed areas...
I Like sketchy's sepia look.

looking forward to seeing this shot again!

Thanks for the comments, all! I am really liking the tones you've brought out there danmon. I will definitely go and take the shot again and have a bit more of a play with the RAW file : )

Back