Almost Total Beginner - Bristol Zoo

Edit My Images
Yes
Took these today, am basically starting from scratch other than from a couple of sesssions on a City and Guilds Level 1.

I am posting them as shot, I dont have a great deal of time to play with them after the event, so its more important to me to get the actual shot right.

I know some of them need cropping, but any other advice, also I am not happy with any of the caterpillar ones at the end, but I just couldnt get a good shot.

Using a Nikon D3000 with either 18 -55 or 55 - 200 mm lens.

Trying to work out how to add the photos!!

Thanks

Last edited:
No pictures Sam?

some nice shots:)

pardon me for butting in but we are planning to go to bristol zoo next months. is it worth it?

imustbedreamin said:

pardon me for butting in but we are planning to go to bristol zoo next months. is it worth it?

Hi - the best value money wise is annual pass, it was I think 88 a year per couple, for that you get unlimited entry also entry to marwell chester 1 visit to Woburn and also a few other views, I don't think it's a whole day place tbh - although there is also go ape but my children are too small

Do you have kids,,, noahs ark zoo farm
Is amazing.

Not a bad start, Sam

One comment I can make, is on your composition, that it nearly everything is central...

You have some good depth in them and seem to have an eye for a decent photograph.

Cheers and keep us posted.

:D:D:D

that's so funny!

sam, i think he was hinting that you've posted so many shots here that he doesn't need to go to the zoo now :D

you have made a good start Sam, there's some nice stuff in your collection there - for zoo animals i'd be using the 200mm end of your lenses as much as possible and up the ISO to get faster shutter speeds.

keep on shooting though - that's the beauty of digital - shoot 10 or shoot 1000 - it costs the same (y)

Pmpl call it the over enthusiasm of a new
Poster!!!

I king of thought it was too many, it's the shock of realising there may be a photographer in there somewhere

:D:D:D

that's so funny!

sam, i think he was hinting that you've posted so many shots here that he doesn't need to go to the zoo now :D

glad it made you laugh but your assumption is wrong;)

jo,

its my little ones first birthday so we were going to take him along. we went years and years ago but i cant really remember it.(y)

keep em coming.

In that case, for a 1 year old seriously, noahs ark zoo farm - there is no comparison for kids, that's where our next season ticket will be

Seriously though I know there are loads of photos, but I'm struggling with what's a "snap" and what's a good photograph, I took hundreds - these are what left - any advice is very gratefully received.

Hi Sam, maybe just my taste but your butterfly shots are the ones that stand out crisp and clear and the shot of the white bird ( apologies don't know what brand it is <g> ) Great set their for a beginner now you have to raise the bar from what is a great start :)

Sam,

I would post two or three. That way you will get more focussed feedback. The number of images are overwhelming especially if you are on a slow internet connection. I agree with the comment to use the 200 end and up the iso if needed to get a good shutter speed.

Just for interest, Marwell have a consession to their annual pass holders allowing free entry to a number of Zoos, including Bristol.

John

I was there 2-3 years ago and even then I didn't think it was worth it. I've probably been spoilt with visits to Galapagos, Kenya, India and San Diego zoo recently - but I it was a very faint shadow of its former self from what I recall.

Seriously though I know there are loads of photos, but I'm struggling with what's a "snap" and what's a good photograph, I took hundreds - these are what left - any advice is very gratefully received.

That's a very difficult question and one that will invoke quite a lot of debate.

Very simply - a snap is a shot of something that's usually centrally framed with no attention paid to the background or subject matter. A good photograph will have some element of deliberation in the composition, interest, shooting angle, background etc. It's hard to define ;-)

The butterfly shots are the ones that stand out for me. Some very clear and detailed images in there.

You note that you do not know what is a good picture or not. It's the battle that all photographers have. what to bin/ what to keep.

I would suggest that you look through the forum or jump on to the FLICKR website to look at other work. Take a look and see what you think is good and what other people think is worthy of showing.

Next is to be critical of your own photo's. Once you can look at your own work and figure out how it can be improved then you are on the road to getting great pictures.

One last thing. Enjoy yourself.

Thanks all - for wading through my too many photos and taking the time to respond. I had great fun taking the photos, the caterpillar I just couldnt get though.

Most of them were taken at 400 iso the odd 1 at 200 - would you recommend going higher.

I love butterflies. I could have just photographed them all day.!

Next time I will just pick a few :)

Viking said:
Just for interest, Marwell have a consession to their annual pass holders allowing free entry to a number of Zoos, including Bristol.

John

As an aside we got our Bristol Zoo pass for a trip to Marwell - it was cheaper that way around.

Having an annual pass can really improve your photography as you can go with a specific subject in mind and spend all day trying to capture it. You are not trying to get round everything and chance a great picture.

My annual pass to Marwell works best for me as it is only down the road. Different Zoo's have agreements with different parks. Personally i like the Marwell one as it offers unlimited entry in to Colchester Zoo, which IMO is one of the best in the country.

Last year i visited Marwell around 15 times!, Colchester three times, Twycross and Bristol once. This year i intend to go to Chester and also Paignton which is also on the agreement.

Personally i like the Marwell one as it offers unlimited entry in to Colchester Zoo, which IMO is one of the best in the country. .

Bristol Zoo is pretty well, pants, is Colchester Zoo that good?? will def have to go there, we are going to Chester Zoo in March and Woburn Safari Park in July, all as part of the membership. Hadnt really considered Colchester - but I may do having read that.

Back