Alternative or match for Calumet Genesis 300B portable/studio flash?

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
No
My wife has decided she wants to do more portrait & studio work. We own a Calumet Genesis 300B studio flash with a battery unit that we use for location work & have been really impressed with the build quality & performance. I thought that it would be easy to just purchase another one or two of these to complete the studio kit but imagine my disappointment to discover that Calumet no longer stock these but only have higher priced portable units that look like Quantum Qflash knock-offs. We only bought the Calumet Genesis 300B a couple of years ago when it was £179.99 for the studio flash & £149.99 for the battery pack whereas the lower powered Calumet Genesis GF200 costs more than that for the head alone with the battery pack another £125.

I really like the flexibility of being able to use the 300B mains powered in the studio but with the option of a battery for location work so wondered if there is any other similarly priced alternative that we should consider.

I love my 300b and battery pack. It was :( a superb AC/DC unit. Calumet told me the 300b would continue in the product line and not be replaced with the AS250 and AS500, but the US arm of Calumet going tits up cant have helped.

The usefulness of the AC/DC is not to be underestimated, and most similar designs currently are battery only even when plugged in and 'charging'.

The only other AC/DC units are really the Bowens and their travel pack battery packs, but I suggest you sample one before buying (they are, ahem, heavy). They also use a different mount to the Calumet (Bowens rather than Elinchrom). See here

The other option is a battery to AC inverter, like here.

Last edited:
Back